Kotobukiya - M.S.G./Frame Arms/F.A.G./M.D./A.C./Hexgear

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GAUGE, Sep 3, 2019.

1. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

A lot of this post doesn't have a lot to do with Kotobukiya kits, so... well, whatever.

30 Minutes Sisters x Idolmaster Beyond the Blue Sky

2024-01-09.png
    I have no particular care for The Idolmaster, but I immediately recognized how much more 'upscale' this is compared to the average 30MS kit. It is ridiculously good. The assembly is generally as basic as 30MS kits usually are, but the parts separation is very impressive. There are some things I find questionable, but I understand it's because it's replicating an existing costume (most notably, the way the cloth piece is fastened to the right shoulder).

The stand-alone Beyond the Blue Sky kit comes with two sets of thighs of differing lengths and three different chests (I have no idea which one comes with Mano, but I did look up which ones go with the Idolmaster head sets, not that I was going by them anyway). You can get around the two thighs by using leftover polycaps from 30 Minutes Missions sets (they're the same size, just different material), but you have your work cut out for you if you want to make use of the other two chests.

Challenge Accepted.
    2024-01-08.png

This is my 'leftover girl' and the only real thing related to Kotobukiya kits in this post (the skirt is from Magical Girl Darkness, who I disassembled for parts). The chest is one of the leftovers from Beyond the Blue Sky filled with... hot glue. I'm sure there's technically better ways to do it, but it's what I have that's easy to work with.

2024-01-01.png
    A side view to show how it's actually staying on a 30MS torso. It's just a simple, leftover polycap from some Kotobukiya kit (can't remember which, but you get so many extra from, say, Exorcist Widow, that you can use that). Note that it only works on the Tiasha/Luluce style torsos since the other ones are too wide for the skirt.

30 Minutes Sisters Alpha Sisters Phantasm
    2024-01-11.png 2024-01-10.png
    Frankly this kit blows me away. I believe, while this still falls under The Idolmaster collaboration, it's an original design (correct me if I'm wrong). I liked it so much I bought two of them. Then I went further and made one effectively the opposite of the other, and painted the chest piece black. Like Beyond the Blue Sky this kit has great color separation (despite being in muted black and white colors) and I generally felt better about putting it together; the skirt is assembled piecemeal around the body so it's not like Beyond the Blue Sky where it feels like the girl is stuck forever.

30 Minutes Sisters Ilshana
    2024-01-02.png
    Okay, I'll be honest. I broke one of her flower bracelets and that made me instantly hate her. I read that the flower bracelets were a weak point on her and the very last one shattered when I cut it off the sprue, as if the stress of cutting out the other three took its toll on the last one. So, yeah... you can say I'm really unhappy with her because of it.

The thing that surprised me is, despite being as tall as Tiasha, her insides are based on Lirinel/Laranel to an extent. Ilshana ends up having her own waist inner piece for whatever reason, so it's technically a spare part, but not one that's particularly useful. In fact, Ilshana comes with quite a few spare parts, having been packed with the POM joint runner Neverlia has, but only using like four of the pieces (I don't know, either, but the spare joints actually are useful).

Misc Kits
    2024-01-13.png 2024-01-14.png 2024-01-12.png
    The first is basically what happens when I got the armor expansion kit for dirt cheap (I don't particularly recommend it otherwise unless you have a particular use for the pieces, it doesn't really add much in its intended purpose).

The second is a little inspired by Devil Strarf in a very vague sense. I think it's mostly the twintails doing that (because it's definitely not the wings).

The third picture is when I got another dirt cheap Figure Rise Standard Shion and did something I was thinking about doing for a while. The neck has a 4mm ball joint glued to it and the shoulder joints are replaced with 30MM/MS joint parts that are effectively arm ball and sockets (replacing the weird butterfly joint socket which I didn't particularly like). I don't know what I'm doing with this, but I can technically now use the arms on any 30MS kit I want, and use 30MS arms on it. I guess in a sense I did it just because I wanted to do it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where is this?

4. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

• Like Like x 3
  5. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I ended up buying Koyomi Summer Uniform version off Amazon for under $30. I wasn't planning to get her because I don't like her hair style, but it was for the right price, I guess.

Sousai Shojo Teien Koyomi Takanashi Summer Uniform (Dreaming Style)
    2024-02-01.png
    She wasn't really that bad to put together in all honesty; she was a lot more pleasant build than Ritsuka Saeki Winter Uniform was. I still don't like her hair very much. She comes with three hair styles (unlike Ritsuka Winter's four) and unlike any version of Ritsuka or Madoka they're... very samey. I mean, one of them has these short pigtail thing going and the other hair is braided, but the silhouette doesn't change very much. The crazy thing is only the default face has an optional part you can use to attach Madoka's bangs to (doesn't work as well with Ritsuka's bangs).

Koyomi is depicted in most official pictures wearing glasses, but unlike Madoka or Ritsuka the glasses slot is only on her right side of her bangs and hangs free on the left side (I mean, I should have expected this). The problem is the glasses supported on one side don't really stay in that well. The glasses, as you would expect, work fine on Madoka and Ritsuka and don't fall out so easily, but Koyomi it falls off if you look at it funny.

2024-02-07.png
    Like Madoka Summer Uniform Koyomi has an extra torso, this one supposedly for her to do a stretching arm pose. And that's whatever to me. I stuck on an extra set of arms on her and the unused lower leg parts (like Madoka Summer, no socks for this) and called it the day.

I mean, it was fairly cheap all things considering so I can't fault it too much, but I wouldn't get her first (Ritsuka Summer, any version, are thumbs up if you want a 'first one').

Other Things
    2024-02-04.png
    This is a combination of the 30MM Multiple Leg Mecha and the tank (which I didn't really know what to do with since it's kind of garbage, but I didn't pay full price for that so whatever). This is a preliminary build until I maybe get another Multiple Leg Mecha somehow, but it is serviceable enough. My aim is to eventually create a mecha Crypt Lord (Warcraft 3 Hero) out of this.

2024-02-06.png 2024-02-05.png 2024-02-02.png
    30MM Multi Cloth. It's honestly not that great all things considering (the one on the left does not stay together too well, the overlord cape actually works fine and does exactly what it's supposed to). I've seen people do interesting things with the full cloak (like use it to make a dress) so it's not entirely unsalvageable.

2024-02-03.png
    30 MM Acerby. Basically when a 30MS and a 30MM Spinatia had a child. It's fairly well done, although the shoes are flippin' bad since the socket is too big for the ball (compared to Spinatio/a, I have tried. The ball is not the problem in this case). I've seen people make Mega Man and Roll out of Acerby, and while I'm not going to do that I'm keeping my options open (this is almost certainly not going to stick in its current form)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Huh. i never did supply photos of my finished Ritsuka... Did I?!? Time to Do something about that~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. halconfenix

halconfenix Through the fire and the flames

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  8. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be skint in August..
    11079474a.jpg 11079474a5.jpg 11079474b7.jpg