Kotobukiya - M.S.G./Frame Arms/F.A.G./M.D./A.C./Hexgear

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GAUGE, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

All you need is exactly what you have, except Mr Mark Softer, And Mr Mark Setter. The metallic foil decals will have ZERO glue on them, so you need at least Mr Setter. You dont need no fancy scissor or knife..you just lay out a few part, cut out that "group" of decals your going to do, dip the decal in water completly for 2 seconds, and then lay out a papertowel, turn the decal 90deg and run off all excess water on the paper towel, and then lay it decal side up for about 10-30 seconds depending on size. During that time you brush the spot with Mr Mark setter (or softer if its a tight turn or something that can fold a decal). Now your decal will move, the whole group is ready, the "milky" look on the decal sheet if any, is adhesive, it will go clear. Then you just use your toothpick, or my fav, an angle cut Q tip point, drag the decal, position, roll with q tip, aaand move to next. I can decal up one of these in an hour or two.

The most critical part, is sealing it. I highly recommend using Future, or your fav clear acrylic top coat. I use future for ALL my gloss top coats, and any Canopies or windows, always gets dipped in future...if your curiopus why, just youtube "using future on model canopies" and you will be BLOWN away. Ive dipped a few transformers parts and it looks like real glass.

Any ways..You can brush on the future, I airbrush it, but it self leveling and it actualy DOES that. You can brush it on, and you dont see strokes.

Did you see the new MS generals? One has a tiger, and the other has a weapon forge.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I've been gone for a while because of certain health problems I've had over the past weeks (it wasn't Covid), but it wasn't entirely without stuff happening to pass the time.

Magatsuki Kikka, Part 2

I still don't have Mark Softer or Mark Setter so that probably contributed to some of the problems I had.

06-74 Magatsuki Kikka 1.png
    Applied most of the decals and did some detail painting based on the pictures (probably missed a spot here and there, and my hands were far from steady when doing it so there's a minor splotch here and there that I didn't get out in time). Most of it went okay except for the kimono chest detailing (the part down not attached to her, which is the only consolation I get from that trouble) which, funny enough, I did last, and had the absolute worst trouble with it than the other large decals. I went and topcoated the suckers because of the lack of the above (although I guess from previous post I should do it anyway) I accidentally touched the kimono detailing so it shredded. Although Kikka came with duplicate decals for that detailing I opted to instead just paint it on by hand. It wasn't perfect, but it is serviceable (to the point where I really think I shouldn't have bothered with that)

I opted to leave off the two kanji decals on the shoulder pieces because of a long standing personal decision to never put stuff like that on unless I know exactly what it means (I have a suspicion of what it is, but it's still something I feel strongly about).

06-75 Magatsuki Kikka 2.png 06-76 Magatsuki Kikka 3.png

Looks very good with the decals on, and thanks to my gold paint pen (Michaels store brand double pack Gold and Silver paint pens, which served me extremely well on Transformers previously and still work fine with model kits) being so good it covered up most of the little tiny flaws I had in placement at the edges (the shoulder pieces with the fold-over parts were the worst about this, I eventually just cut off the fold over part and painted it in instead).

I did quite a bit of practice applying Figure Rise Standard eye stickers to faceplates until I moved on to water slide decals before jumping onto the big fish. The stickers obviously turned out horrible as you would expect; the water slides for the eyes were okay, although I think they're angled slightly wrong (not to the point where you'd notice unless you knew it was supposed to be the angry eyes; the expression doesn't look quite as angry now).

30 Minute Sisters Luluce + Optional Armor Set

06-71 30MS Luluce.png
    My first official 30MS build; it made me appreciate my pre-built Rishetta a little more (but not enough to not make her into a mannequin). The optional armor set is pretty good, except in a couple spots: 1. The elbow clip joint wasn't good enough to fasten onto the forearm, so I thickened the bar a bit with a bit of paper towel so it clips properly. 2. The back leg boosters also don't clip on very well, but doing the previous doesn't really fix that. Oh well.

You can get Luluce at retail price on Amazon right now. You just have to specifically pick Amazon.com as the vendor because it's not the default vendor for some reason. It also has the Armor Set in stock as of this post, but not for much longer.

On a per body basis, putting together a new body with the 30MS is roughly similar to that of the ATK Girl Spare Body, where the trick for both is fulfilling the head and hair requirements. Most of that in general is covered by spares from other kits, and 30 MS is a little more flexible about exact spares, but also a little more expensive per body, I think, than ATK Girl. On the other hand ATK Girl Spare Body only has one body type. Generally, when working with extra bodies, a mix of both tends to work best. especially since both options are more directly compatible with each other than any other lines.

Oh, and poor Rishetta can't catch a break.

06-50 Rishetta Arms.png 06-63 Cheer Rishetta.png

Figure Rise Standard Shion Shishibe

I painted the details on her instead of applying the stickers. No pictures because I've long since modded the figure beyond its original appearance and I never took one when I finished it. I know a lot of people bag on this figure online, but I got it specifically because I wanted a figure with a lab coat (of which I turned into a Dr. Octopus style monstrosity). And she looked a little mannish, so she's now a guy.

Well, there's still this-- that little AI companion Nayuta (yes, all of that is painted on)
    05-15 Nayuta.png

====================

The future.

I've got multiple 30MS sets on preorder, and I'm eyeing Chaos and Pretty Alice (more like pick one Alice kit out of the rest of them). Decided to skip on Little Red since in my mind she's a little too close to Magical Girl than I'd like (I mean, I have contemplated getting another Magical Girl just to mod, but that doesn't feel the same as buying a similar set and modding that).

Also managed to secure an ATK Girl Maid Set that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (I mean, who in their right mind is going to pay $100 for that?), but won't be seeing that for a while.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW! The decals make that pop so much, great job!!

4. RazorclawX

Yeah thanks, you kind of goaded me into doing it.

====================

Sousai Shojo Ritsuka (Dreaming Version ~ Noble Rose) + Wig Set A

Managed to pick this up for a rather good price a little south of ~$60 (which is how much it 'should' be according to current yen conversion rates) and oddly it was a similar price to regular Ritsuka (I was under the impression that the Dreaming Versions were supposed to cost more). Two things weighing on my mind:

1. I liked Dreaming Version's hair color over normal version, but did not like the color of her skirt.

2. If Dreaming Version is 'supposed' to cost more it's more to my advantage to pick that up now while I can get away with getting it for a price that regular Ritsuka gets asked for.

So I settled for Dreaming Version and decided to paint over the skirt. I haven't 100% decided if this is the color I'm keeping it (but OTOH don't know what to change it to; leaning to making it the same color as the waist).

I also immediately made use of the blank face plates and slapped some of Magatsuki Kikka's eyes on it (that set's eyes are oddly my favorite out of my current collection, but sadly she doesn't come with a lot of eyes).

The Wig Set I got was Fiery Red-Orange and "Purple" (the kind that you could also say is blue), and my intention was to 'color correct' it into a more lilac color to match Dreaming Version's hair color. The initial attempt did not work (the plastic color was a little too strong for a straight paint over) so instead I used an intermediate color of Soft Pink first, and THEN I layered the lilac over it.

07-06 Shojo.png 07-07 Shojo.png 07-08 Shojo.png

What I learned from this kit was making a "second body" wasn't possible and I fluked out on Madoka Yuki having another torso piece. It's just as well, because Ritsuka's sitting pose is a lot more interesting.

07-12 Shojo.png 07-15 Shojo.png

The skirt is really supposed to be a deep purple, but comes out as blue in pictures (much like Chaos and Pretty Witch Darkness's stockings).

I had a different reasoning for getting Madoka Yuki (Summer Version) and was initially thinking of getting regular Ritsuka first, but I honestly think circumstances leading me to the Dreaming Version gave me a better overall outcome as I'm pretty happy with this kit. She's probably the last Sousai Shojo kit I'm going to pick up for a long while (unless something interesting appears) so at least I can say I exited that line on a high note.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking goood! im about to finish Lirly Bell...holy crap is this one amazing.

Did you see Aoi Asra Archer is up at USA Gundam? You were looking for that one... I just ordered the new MS general with the Tiger...

6. RazorclawX

Yeah I have had both Aoi girls preordered for a while.

I was thinking about Lirly Bell (I love the tactical hud), but I figured there's too many rabbit girls being put out and I don't want a colony of rabbit girls (even MS General and 30MS are putting out rabbit girls), so I have to pick one and stick with it (I'm leaning toward C&P Alice, but there's still a chance I won't get her. I'm counting the Alice kits among the rabbit girls; even the other Alice kits are rabbit themed).

As weird as this sounds, I think I have firm leaning now what kits I'm looking for and against 'common sense' with mecha musume it isn't half naked girls wearing mecha armor (well-dressed girls are fair game; it's just I'm firmly down with bikini armor girls).

ED: Oh, USAG Store finally got Bullet Knights Bride and Widow in stock now. Didn't notice that before. Not that I think I'm ultimately getting either of them, but I'm surprised they're finally there.

======================
    Something Different

I've never been one to do 'photo shoots' or anything, but I couldn't help myself put together somethings (only trouble is not having enough faceplates to work with). Probably just because of how the kit is it's basically turned into eccentric Senpai with straitlaced Kohai.

(I'd already redone the skirt by this point and it looks way better. As I expected even having the previous color as a 'base' layer helped a ton)

Friends
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Running Free
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surprise Gift
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  7. RazorclawX

I saw a video review of the Ox girl. She's HUGE (if time stamp doesnt work it's at 10:27 into the video).

I was thinking for a while that I only really liked the unarmored girl, but they're even larger than Frame Arms Girl. That's kind of a dealbreaker for me; the size difference between 30MS and Frame Arms Girl/ATK Girl was already in the head/half-head range, but this is even bigger. I guess I was iffy on the set in the first place, but I don't like the idea of having one girl towering over the others like that. Maybe if I had more of them I would think differently, but I had no idea she was that big.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RazorclawX

Oh thank goodness, my last preorder (for the time being) at Hobbylink Japan landed today, so it's time to ship. I was going through the motions because I completed my backlog and had nothing to look forward to for a while (to the point that I was seriously eyeing Zhuque which is on sale on USA Gundam Store out of desperation despite how much I don't want it-- heck a few days ago Zhuque was around $30 Preowned on Amiami and that thankfully disappeared before I could think about it more**). Ended up ordering a bit more extra than I was going to when I was planning this out a couple months ago, but what I saved makes up for the extra shipping cost for them (not to mention since shipping costs are going up I'm going to be more strict about ordering from Japan-- there's still stuff you can get from domestic shops that are cheaper than weak yen + the shipping. This stash was particularly focused on items where weak yen + shipping was cheaper).

Mobile Doll May-- The Revenge
    08-48 Mizuki.png 08-46 Mizuki Armored.png

I've discovered a use for Spinatia and used her as a dress up doll. I mean, if you can't see her under the clothes, you can't tell what's wearing it even if it's a stick figure. That in turn freed up Mobile Doll May so she is no longer stuck wearing doll clothes, as it should be (let's face it, Spinatia is flexible, but May is cooler, and a free May is the better outcome in my book). The best part is both Spinatia and Mobile Doll May use the same ball joint neck size so it was a very painless transition-- and now I've got a bunch of leftover Spinatia armor parts to play with (if Tiasha ever arrives she's in for a nice gift since Assassin-type's armor is the same color as Tiasha's red).

Basically I've renewed my appreciation for Mobile Doll May. She's not the most flexible Gunpla*** out there, but she's good where it counts and she's a woman. And best of all, her eyes follow you no matter which way you look at her, and that is creepy as all heck.

** personally I've been weighing whether to pick up Xuanwu because she is the least flamboyant of the four beasts, but I've never had an opportunity to get her for something I consider reasonable. The thing I really liked about the JW sisters is just how much extra parts I got out of them, particularly the head cores and hair pieces, and I learned since that the four beasts also have extra head cores. Although in all seriousness it's probably a good thing that I don't do that, but on the other hand Xuanwu being so vanilla means it's easier to mod her on a clear conscience.

*** well, she is considered a HG Mobile Doll kit even though she should be a Figure Rise Standard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RazorclawX

New haul, new toys to play with.

Neko Busou #3 Funimori
    09-03 Catboat 1.png 09-04 Catboat 2.png 09-05 Catboat 3.png
    The crown jewel of my haul. Neko Busou is a Bandai line that started as an April Fools joke and since then became published as a number of sets. This is the last one in the line as far as I know and is the only one that comes with a fluffy cat (of which is very personal to me, so naturally I had to get this one). Naturally it's not a really popular or well-known line outside of Japan, but fortunately I was able to get this without paying an extraordinary price for it (in fact I got it on discount).

One thing's certain when handling this kit is it's not the same kind of quality as the other Bandai kits I've handled-- the plastic is hard and nearly rivals that of the ATK girls (actually, come to think of it, it's probably even more so since this last ATK girl kit was very good quality, see below). This kit comes with 'arm' pieces that are identical to the Flexible Arm B Kotobukiya MSG kit (claw arms), but are MUCH worse to work with.

There are three configurations Bandai provides you with in this kit and 1 and 2 are shown above (they each use their own pieces). The third form presumably uses all the pieces for one big boat. They provide a parts separator to help facilitate disassembly (I think the point of these are to be 'desk toys' so you're naturally going to be fiddling with them). Don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but I don't think I'm keeping it as a pair of sea turtles for long.

30MM Cielnova + Cielnova Weapons and High Speed Armor
    09-01 Cielnova.png
    Got this set of pieces because I loved the High Speed Armor's head-- it reminds me of eithe a plague doctor or Raven Beak from Metroid Dread. The glowing parts, unfortunately, are just stickers, and they were a pain to put on.

I'm not sure what those big giant space mine things on the shoulders are supposed to help in 'high speed', but they're there.

The weapons set thankfully gives you another base gun to work with so you don't have to sacrifice the Cielnova gun (although... that's exactly what I did). I used one to make the sniper rifle and the other the gatling gun (pictured), then gave the pistol barrels to the Spinatia guns (which really needed them because they looked awful without them). The sword and shield are equipped, the battle axe is not shown. The kunai is the most worthless piece in the set (you only get one).

30MM Portanova Navy Type
    09-02 Portonova Navy.png
    A slightly more expensive kit (not hugely so since it was discounted) than the Cielnova combo above in a lovely shade of blue. I have plans for this body which is why it's not in the Naval configuration and building it actually made use of all the parts, which I was surprised by (even found a use for the leftover foot parts from the Cielnova that didn't get used). I threw the backpack on the 30MS backpack adapter and now understand why the adapter is the way it is.

ATK Girl Chinese Dress Kit
    09-32 Qipao Group.png
    I now have enough Spare Bodies to put together a whole set. I realize if I actually got the Four Beast kits this could've gone 'much faster' (conventionally most people seem to give the Spare Body to the tiger and give the others the second body), but I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

White dress is using Magatsuki Kikka's leftover leg parts, a modded MSG Thigh (removed the peg and drilled a 3mm hole instead), and a pen.

Rishetta's New Groove
    09-34 PotP Arms.png
    This is what happens when you try to do something with those 3mm weapons from the Power of the Primes Prime Armors. I eventually realized that the entire arm was the proper length to be a forearm/hand for these 1/12 girl kits so I drilled a hole and pegged it on.

I don't think I have any other spares than Liege Maximo/Skullgrin, so that's about as far as that goes.

ATK Girl Maid Outfit
    09-06 Maid Kanna.png 09-07 Maid Kanna.png
    Ta-da. This set was full of surprises. For one thing, you get TWO sets of legs and arms (not thighs or shoulders, though)-- one in flesh tone and one in white. Second, this set comes with the Mary Jane-style shoes that were only previously available in the Serqet set (the funny thing is on the Serqet set the runners for those shoes are all over the place-- this kit they give you a VERY cut up runner in a resealable bag).

I would have loved another set of thighs and shoulders, but at least that's fixable (MSG Tops set directly for the shoulders, thighs a little more indirectly because you have to mod them)

The build on this kit is MUCH better than the Santa kit. The Santa kit was a bit of a nightmare because nothing seemed to fit right on those bodies; this one everything worked exactly as it was supposed to.

09-08 Maid Kanna.png
    Of course, one of the other surprises is you get an extra piece, which I THINk is supposed to be a garter. This piece isn't advertised at all and I don't see anywhere else it could have gone. The thing is, they only give you one. One, you say? Why are there two...?

09-23 Maid Pair.png 09-33 Maid JW Sisters.png
    Yes, that's right, I have two of these sets. It wasn't planned and happened mostly by accident, but I didn't pay more than $40 for either of them (a lot of stores are charging $100 a set for these for whatever reason). The one on the right is wearing knee stockings which I picked up a while back for a different reason (unfortunately not long enough to go over the knee on ATK Girls since their calves are longer); she's also wearing a tutu under her skirt which is why it's fluffing out more.

Okay, the biggest issue. If you're familiar with the other ATK Girl clothes they're notoriously difficult to put on because they're typically one piece unlike most doll clothes. Fortunately in this case the trouble is actually not the chest this time-- it's the shoulders. All these pictures the shoulders are not attached to the body in any way because I can't figure out how to attach them blind**. For the most part this doesn't affect much, but you can't pose the arm over the head this way. You actually can get away with not using shoulder pieces at all, but they do help keep the arm from slipping out of the dress.

Slightly lesser issue, but if your figure has a shorter neck you'll have a harder time getting it on. This isn't an issue for ATK Girls since their necks are long enough, but 30MS and Megami Device will have issues with this.

Overall happy with this kit despite the problems. Looking forward to figuring out how to best use the extra limbs.

If I had to rank the ATK Girl clothing, I'd go like this:
    1. Chinese Dress (straight push through chest through the dress)
    2. Maid Outfit (same as above, except shoulder issue)
    3. JW-059 cloak (I'm knocking this because of the difficulty in attaching it to the shoulder armor)
    4. Serqet Sailor Suit (fairly neutral, it just doesn't look as good as the above)
    5. Titans Gym Clothes (complete dismemberment if you want to put this on)
    6. Santa Outfit (I don't even know how I managed to get this on)

N/A Casual Wear, Arachne Sweater (don't have those)

** I realize this is generally the case with the other shirts, but I can't figure out where the 'hole' is between the shoulder and the chest. It's much easier to do with the shirts.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Gundam Astraea hangar

• Like Like x 5
  11. RazorclawX

It's so weird going into slowdown period. I keep trying to 'optimize' parts here and there.

MSG Killer Beak
    09-52 Killer Beak.png 09-53 Killer Beak.png
    Fell in love with this thing when I saw the pictures. Unfortunately it's one of the older MSG kits, and it kind of shows (the quality of the runners is kind of garbage compared to the more recent MSG kits-- in fact it rivaled Neko Busou Fukamori in how tough it was to get the parts off).

The entire wing structure is a backpack flight module and the 'body' is actually a sniper rifle on a set of ski legs. It comes with a beak-shaped head which is interesting because it comes with a 3mm peg adapter, but can ALSO be attached like a regular Megami Device head on 6mm ball joints (the example picture given is of what I think is a Frame Arms, but I tested it on Witch Darkness and the head does in fact fit).

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the sniper rifle (I've got THREE now-- one from Witch Darkness, one from Cielnova's weapon pack, and now one from Killer Beak). The tough part is I don't usually make sniper-type characters so I don't know what to do with it. I suppose I could just leave the sniper attachment off and use it as a regular heavy duty rifle.

The backpack is being reserved for future use. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the head since I satisfied my Evil Bird quota with Cielnova's speed armor head.

30 Minute Missions Mass Production Type
    09-54 Metal Gear.png 09-55 Metal Gear.png
    A weapon called Metal Gear.

Honestly I knew this thing was half the size of the average 30 Minute Missions bot, but I was always intending to gut this thing for parts. This is basically what it looks like before the Sweeps decided to have their way with it.

The crazy thing is you can make a nearly complete humanoid mech with the same parts (hint: the legs on this thing are actually arms, complete with arm hole, and the arms are legs-- although not in the conventional sense which is the actual tricky part).

09-60 Kasumi Suzaku.png
    This started as Tiasha. It's wearing Tiasha's Option Body and Option Armor, Rishetta's thighs, Sousai Shojo Wig Set A Orange/Red Hair head, Spinatio Sengoku Type's sword, Spinatia Assassin Type's Armor pieces, the skis and stabilizer arms from Killer beak, and the fold-out arm from Mass Production Type. This is the true Frankenstein's Monster of model kits and I'm seriously happy with how it turned out. It was designed after Suzaku/Zhuque and took some slight inspiration from the ATK Girl kit (part of the reason I resisted buying that series is I had the intention of making my own versions of the sets because I wasn't satisfied with how those turned out).

The bent leg was pretty much a last-minute thing when I was deciding how to disassemble Killer Beak.

09-58 Kagero Byakko.png
    Realized this was already good enough for the white tiger armor. Doubly so since it's a robot to go with the 'metal' element. The thighs are actually the pair of scuba tanks from Portanova Marine Type with the bottom parts removed (surprisingly it was the right size and shape to be used as thighs-- I didn't really like it as front tanks on Portanova anyway).

As an aside, Baihu was one of the biggest reasons why I didn't want to collect the ATK Girl sets. I know people love that big giant backpack with the claws, but I didn't like it because a) it looked like a cow and b) it looked like it was too heavy. I kind of imagined the white tiger being a quick attacker and those giant claws really didn't do it for me-- like it would've been great if I thought of the character as being like the Juggernaut and have giant Juggernaut Punches, but....

09-57 Kotetsu Genbu.png

A 'Genbu' armor in progress using parts from Neko Busou Fukamori (I mean, it did come with a giant sea turtle shell as a shield). The turtle armor is taking a huge inspiration from the ATK Girl Xuanwu set with a backpack with two arms, although this one has the shield on one arm and a strike serpent head on the other.

I could stand to put this on a better body than the Mass Production Type, but the backpack is probably not going to change.

(somehow I don't think this'll stop me from getting Xuanwu if I somehow manage to justify it)

Notably I don't have an azure dragon armor yet, but I actually am waiting for a future release for that one. Resistant toward getting Qinglong because people kept telling me how terrible the tail is.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RazorclawX

No new kits this time, but I did make some progressive stuff.

ATK Girl Maid Outfit Re:Arms
    09-72 Maids.png

I managed to get their arms in their sockets, so now they can lift their arms over their heads!

Notably I had to use some real shoulders for this and that boiled down to the MSG POM shoulders-- in particular the long length ones (the short length ones won't work on the ATK Girl body). POM joins in particular because they won't break so easily while you're fiddling with the puffy shoulders; I realized this when I pulled one arm out and the crappy shoulder joint's ball was rolling around in the sleeve.

Yeah, that effectively required two MSG Tops sets to do this, but I already had those. This was just a matter of shuffling the shoulders around and figuring out where I put the long length POM shoulders and replace them (the shorter length ones are still good on Megami Device bodies which is probably why I never noticed this problem before).

MSG Tops/Bottoms Bunny Girl
    09-68 Bunny.png 09-69 Bunny.png

MSG Tops set + MSG Bottoms set + SOL Road Runner legs (thigh and legs same color) + Witch Darkness head and spare set of arms. Shoes are from a Daiso doll clothes set with small white pompoms glued on and the outfit is an Azone 1/12 scale clothing.

I've previously stated that the clothing doesn't really fit and the 'fix' for that is to truncate the chest/torso area. It's basically like this:

Tops Chest
    -- Hot Glue w/internal 'spine' rod --
    Bottoms Waist

The back I glued on new velcro pieces I lifted off a Daiso doll clothes I... well, butchered. The velcro was a much larger piece and more clingy than the one that came with the clothes which then allowed me to actually close it up. Yes, it's a bit unsightly, but it does work.

Notably I had to change the neck joint to be the long neck which I learned was meant for one of the ASRA girls (who also has a long neck for a neck accessory, couldn't tell you which one since I don't have either).

The Legend of the Spare Parts Girl, the Revenge
    09-75 Chika.png 09-76 Chika Cheerleader.png
    The left is Madoka Yuki's spare parts, redone. The arms are Magical Girl Darkness's spare arms (same as before), with a bit of paper towel wrapped around the shoulder area to simulate a sleeve. The knee socks are made out of a shaft of a common ballpoint pen with an extra set of ATK Girl Spare Body feet glued on and the shoes are from a Daiso doll set.

The right is the true Frankenstein's monter: the head is Madoka Yuki's twintail head, JW-059 spare parts (both shoulder pieces, upper chest, torso) with a waist T-bar made out of runner. The arms are MSG joints with the weapon holding prongs from Flexible Arms B at the end. The legs are made out of the two WISM backpack drums from SOL Road Runner attached to a MSG joint at the hip, while the leg is Magical Girl Darkness's leftover foot and both of her rod pieces, covered with Daiso doll clothes stockings and Daiso doll shoes. The outfit is a seriously butchered Daiso doll clothes Cheerleader outfit.

The body (it has no actual waist) is filled with hot glue and the arms actually can move at the shoulders while attached. It has no knee articulation because of the rods, but I knew that going in that she was going to be the most inarticulate cheerleader ever.

Haircut (AKA don't quit your day job)
    09-73 Shizu Bangs.png
    This started as a Sousai Shojo Wig A piece. I cut off the front fringes from both sides and added hot glue to the front to help make a front half-parted face framing bangs style (take a good look at my avatar and you know why I did this). It's not perfect and probably would've been easier with putty or something, but I at least got the weird lumps worked out of it.

The head piece modeled above is Ritsuka's braided hair head so when I put magnets into it I put in two-- one on each half of the hair. While this didn't work out as intended (the magnet attracted to either one or the other), I cut out a small strip of paper clip and put it on between the hair and the ribbon to get the effect I desired.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

I ordered the Lion n E-Rex Evoroids earlier today.. I miss building stuff..

14. RazorclawX

BBTS alerted me that ATK Girl Frankenstein was available to preorder. At least you can turn the vehicle into something other than a wheelchair, but it's still weird as heck.

=============================

ATK Girl Casual Wear Set

10-09 Maid Casual.png 10-02 Hokuto Casual.png
    I keep saying that the ATK Girl spare bodies are usually cheaper if you buy the clothing sets, and this still proves to be the case (got this off USA Gundam Store for ~$26 on sale). This is generally a good thing if you have a use for the spare bodies and have enough useable heads lying around (which funny enough is not a problem if you collect Sousai Shojo sets because they give you a lot of heads). The spare bodies are as usual and come with the white high heel shoes.

The clothing in general kind of suck. At least, if you look at the two pictures above, the Casual Wear does not work too well on the spare bodies; they actually work fine on any regular bodies, including Titans (pictured above), Megami Device, and 30 Minute Sisters all wear them better. The problems are twofold: a) the skirts are relying on an elastic band which is normally a good thing, but there is no place on the spare body for which to otherwise hold it in place anywhere beside the hips, and b) the material is much thinner than the Serqet school uniform or the Titans gym clothes so it's VERY pokey on the spare body boobs.

The other flaws is the sleeves are really small-- much smaller than the previous shirts, and the two cropped shirts (the purple and yellow tie ones meant for Qinglong and Zhuque) are not hemmed at the bottom. In fact it appears they just took scissors to them and just cut them in half, which means they fray at the ends. You pretty much need to use a fray protection glue in order to prevent them from unraveling further.

Honestly I feel these are the worst of the ATK Girl clothing sets, even below the Santa set and its ridiculous tolerance issues. On the other hand, since you're given eight pieces of clothing you can use them generally as you see fit ( see below for an example)

If you only ever get one ATK Girl clothing set, make it the Chinese Gowns. They are very straightforward and simple, yet very effective, but don't pay more than $50 for them if you can help it (because a lot of stores inflate the price of that set like crazy). It's really the one set that kept delivering to me for every spare body I obtained and I never regretted it.

Other Customs
    10-10 Zule.png
    My planned out dragon man mech. Main body is from Mass Produced unit. Legs are from Luluce with the Heavy Armor set attached. Arm blades are from Dog Mech. Wings are from MSG Killer Beak. Head, skirt armor and tail are from Spinatio Sengoku Armor set (yes, I know you can't really see the tail in this picture, but it is there).

The original intention was to use two Cielnova armor kit claws, but that was a little too expensive for what I was doing, so I just used the claws from the Luluce Heavy Armor kit instead. It looks a little more janky, but you can't win everything.

Originally I was using the Dog Mech's legs, but these legs proved to be bulkier so I switched them out.

10-05 Shizu Lolita.png
    My rather poor attempt to make a Gothic Lolita outfit (I already hear voices in my head protesting this). I used one of the Casual Wear skirts as a bonnet and made a skirt train that evokes the look of Orphea from Heroes of the Storm. The stockings are the same doll clothing from before, except this time instead of fitting it over an entire foot, I cut a hole at the end to slide the foot peg through and put on the Mary Jane shoes from the Serqet set. The result makes them reach up to her thighs (before they would barely reach to over the knee).

10-08 Kurumi.png
    Made out of Tiasha plus parts from the Tiasha spare body (mainly just the green aprts, including parts of the torso you can't see). Guns are from Spinatia and barrels are from Cielnova and Cielnova weapon set. Been wanting to do this for a while and the Casual Wear prompted me to finish it because of the miniskirt.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  15. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Well, after almost 12 months, we finally have a release date for that.
    [​IMG]

Product Page
    ガバナー ヘヴィアーマータイプ:ルーク | HEXA GEAR . COM ‐ ヘキサギア オフィシャルサイト
    Dec 2022 5500 yen

Kotobukiya Blog
    ガバナー ヘヴィアーマータイプ:ルークメーカー受注受付開始 | ヘキサギア公式ブログ HEXA GEAR GOVERNORS GUIDE

There is also black version on Kotobukiya webshop.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just received this kit and Shingen from HLJ. I've yet to build the Beluga but Shingen is the most solid Frame Arms kit I've ever built - on par with the Hexa Gear Bulkarm Alpha and Type K Z-Knight.

I kind of wish they'd update their older designs because my Durga and HRESVELGR=ATER fell apart. :(  HRESVELGR=ATER being straight garbage and Durga not holding up over time so I trashed them.

Pics!

20220830_080228.jpg

The Baselard and Ji-Dao aren't solid at all. I need to thicken the waist pegs as it felt like they were going to fall off as I took these guys off the shelves.
    20220830_080346.jpg

Basic frames are ok. The gray one took a fall and it's MSG weapon fell apart though.
    20220830_080522.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Heads-up to Canadians who are interested in Sousai Shojo Teien kits.
    You can get the Koyomi Takanashi (Winter Clothes Dreaming Style) for $65 CAD plus tax at Amazon.ca
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08MDS53S5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't think you can get a better deal than this unless you pick it up from Japan yourself.

[​IMG]

And Amazon Japan exclusive Durga I Darkness Queen is finally out after getting delayed twice this year.

• Like Like x 3
  19. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So thanks to Mecha Gaikotsu, I learned of the Garudagear. And now I need it in my life, mostly because the fighter mode gives serious YF-19 vibes when the wings are swept forward. Is the kit as good as MG makes it out to be? Dude's a great reviewer, and is super enthusiastic about the hobby, but sometimes he kinda seems to ignore some issues with kits.

• Like Like x 1
  20. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get it! From what I've gathered, most transforming kits aren't that great, and the ones that are decent partsform. My experience with transforming kits is limited to the Frame Arms HRESVELGR=ATER (looked good, but terribly unstable) and HGUC Gunpla Evolution Project Zeta Gundam (solid, but a partsformer). The Garudagear (Beluga) is solid, and the only parts forming is adding the gun and hands.

• Like Like x 1