KOs for MP-11 Skywarp/Thundercracker/Starscream/Coneheads + Variants

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ChromeMagnus, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hadn't touched my KBB Thundercracker in months. Last time I did, one of go arm cannons' socket joint was cracked with the ball sitting in there very loosely. Took him out and reposed him last week, then noticed a huge crack right through his shoulder. Seems he suffers from GPS and he's not even gold plastic.

2. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

Tried to transform mp11sw into jet mode for the first time... Pulled him in half! The torso connects to the hip by a pin it seems. It wasnt like this with even mp11. Had to head out so no time to figure it out yet. Meanwhile he is lying around in two pieces like a magician sawed him in half.

3. lobsterclaw

Turns out one piece that covers the rear turbines must have gotten damaged as it is shorter than the other. I am sure it arrived lke this because i checked a pic i took when i first got it and the prob was present. I just disnt notice becaise it is not very noticeable.

20191223-173609

4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uploaded the pic for ya. :)  Is this the straight up Takara KO? Doesn't look like Yes Model/BB7.
    [​IMG]

5. lobsterclaw

It's the regular KO.

I am still trying to find a glue that will glue the two halves back together. Latest try is gorilla clear glue. I am leaving it in plane mode to (hopefully) keep the key areas in contact with each other for a few days to let the glue dry completely.

Fingers crossed.

The MP11 mode does look good, but I haven't really felt good about either the MP11 or MP11sw ko due to the QC probs. Even if I bought from a different seller, probably would have gotten one with either same or different probs. Seems like a big % of them have probs.

6. lobsterclaw

Is it possible to remove this pin and replace with a screw without completely destroying the plastic?

Attached Files:

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    That looks like the pin part broke. You're gonna need a soldering iron to heat up that pin and then some needle nose pliers to pull it out. Becareful NOT to touch any of the plastic with the soldering iron though.

8. stinkyshawn

stinkyshawn Well-Known Member

oh dam.wished I had read this thread b4 getting a kbb skywarp…. :( 

9. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Meanwhile I’m still thinking about buying the KBB cone heads because of how cheap they are. Did anyone buy those? Want to know if those blew up or not like the main seekers did?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

Any other seekers besides the MT ones?

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It's so weird to me. I read that YM was more prone to QC problems than KBB and now, a few years later, it seems to be the other way around. I briefly owned a KBB Thundercracker. There were some missing paint details, but I felt that the build was pretty solid. I enjoyed the added diecast and how everything seemed more secure.

12. bobagorof

bobagorof Well-Known Member

My KBB Thundercracker was/is trash. The plastic is brittle and has disintegrated in several places. However, my KBB Skywarp is fine, and my Yes Model Starscream is also fine. So maybe it was a bad batch of Thundercrackers that had an issue with the plastic? Don't know. But I bought a Yes Model Thundercracker to replace the KBB one and I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Yeah, I'm guessing some batches were just better than others. I'm also wondering if plastic degradation is also a possibility, but is that something that would present so quickly?

14. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got KBB Thundercracker and mine has problems too. Looks like gold plastic syndrome - the metallic plastic just kind of ends up brittle and crumbles over time. I've only got small breaks in two spots so far, but I expect that he'll continue to degrade as time goes on. Too bad because that plastic was just beautiful.

15. lobsterclaw

No soldering iron.

I am gonna try to disassemble and then take the piece with the pin out. Will try to cut into it to remove the pin, and then reinsert a screw (use epoxy if necessary to fill in gap).

Fingers crossed.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well hopefully you don't damage that part to where it can't be salvaged. A soldering iron is not that expensive. Here's a few that are $5:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hiltex-4...MI787AqObq5wIV0cDACh3iUwl3EAkYAiABEgJXLPD_BwE

soldering iron - Google Shopping

All you need to do is heat up the pin enough to be able to pull it out.

If I'm not mistaken, the part you were showing is typically attached to the slide brackets here (shown on the right)

[​IMG]

Though in your pic, it's separated (or broken) off from the bracket. Is that correct?

17. transformer_78

transformer_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I thick I recall I came across a fix, not sure if it was here or YouTube or google search doing the fix with a screw as you are proposing.....may be worth goggling it? I’ll see if I can come across it again.
    It just happened to be a long time ago.

18. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    You can use a screw, but he'd still have to get that pin out first since it broke. Then he'd also have to find the right screw too that will mirror the top flat part of that pin that broke. I might still have some pins in my junk bin, but I don't know if he'd consider it because he'd need soldering iron to not only remove the broken part, but to put the replacement pin back in :lol 

19. lobsterclaw

I was able to isolate the plastic piece containing the pin. Then I was able to hammer the pin out top through the bottom. Now the problem is installing the screw plus a washer. When I was trying to glue the pieces together, on purpose I stupidly sliced away some plastic around the hole to try to get the pieces to fit better together, but it was a waste of time, and now I only hope there's enough plastic left to hold a screw in place.

Do you guys know what size screw/washer combo I need? I am thinking maybe I have to bring the pieces to the hardware store and ask...

Attached Files:

20. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Here. Got them for about a year. Transformed them back and forth once. No major issues. Wings are a bit floppy so you need to secure them in robot mode and no upside down photos in jetmode I guess. Dirge's landing gear cover panel snapped, though IDK if its my fault for applying too much pressure or if its brittle.

EDIT: Speaking of Dirge. One of his shoulder vents didnt have the red dot paint application.
    I bought the group for about 120$. Made me buy TC and SW too. But these two I have still in their boxes (just inspected them, didnt find anything). But all this talk about disintegrating....

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1