KOs for MP-11 Skywarp/Thundercracker/Starscream/Coneheads + Variants

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ChromeMagnus, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bruticonstuntercon

bruticonstuntercon Well-Known Member

I kinda prefer the original YM Skywarp without the new details. I think they stand out too much and I just preferred the clean black look of the original YM01. Unfortunately TFDirect and Showz no longer have the old version. I assume that's the case with most suppliers now. Oh well....might have to get this new one. Maybe at least the new one might not suffer from the gap between the front and back canopy that seemed to commonly occur on the original YM01.

I thought about waiting to see about the MakeToys SW, but I am the kind of person who likes to transform stuff repeatedly and having the nosecone section fall off every time as it appears to do with meteor would drive me absolutely nuts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

After a few months with my KBB Starburst (Starscream), I thought I would provide a retrospective.

IMAG3149_1_1.jpg

IMAG4105_1.jpg

The quality on KuBianBao's (KBB) Starburst is quite fine, and definitely better than the quality of their Thrust offering (KBB Impact).

The landing gear on the KBB offering for their Thrust is difficult to expose, and the figure can be challenging to pose... while their Starscream offering is much more poseable and photogenic, and there is no issues with his landing gear in jet mode.

IMAG6263_1.jpg

IMAG6291_1.jpg

IMAG6292_1.jpg

I think that as KO quality goes, if I were to switch boxes with an official Takara Tomy MP-11, it might be challenging to identify the KBB version from the Takara Tomy version.

I can't say the same for KBB's Impact (KO Masterpiece Thrust), or any of their Coneheads versions. For these, the recommendation would go to YesModel. But, that's another post for another time...

I've read some statements about the inconsistent tone of the light grey plastic used in KBB Starburst. I think I see what some people have been talking about... but I do not have an official MP-11 Starscream figure for comparison purposes.

However, I do own a Hasbro MP-03 Starscream, which I can use for comparison purposes, but I am not sure this is an apples to apples comparison...

KBB Starburst; Hasbro MP-03
    IMAG6299_1.jpg

The MP-03 Starscream had a weathered finish to it which makes it difficult to compare tonal quality.

Perhaps this would be a red delicious to a gala apple comparison...

Hasbro MP-03; KBB Starburst
    IMAG6302_1.jpg

And here we have a red delicious, a gala, and a granny smith...

Left to right: Hasbro Starscream MP-03; KBB Starburst; Takara Tomy Starscream MP-03
    IMAG6337_1.jpg

IMAG6341_1.jpg

In terms of mileage variance, everything is a cost/benefit analysis. At the significantly reduced price of a KO, I still think that there is still a lot of value in my KBB Starburst, and that he's a great representation of Masterpiece Starscream!!

He photographs well with the other seekers, which remains to be seen for Maketoys' Meteor.

Here he is with the remainder of my Deceptikon Lufwaffe!!

Left to right...

YM Spray; Hasbro Thundercracker; KBB Starburst; Hasbro Skywarp; KBB Impact
    IMAG6394_1_1.jpg

Not sure how KBB dropped the ball on their Thrust offering (KBB Impact)... but months after receiving KBB Starburst, he still nails it as my Starscream!!

IMAG6391_1.jpg

I only wish that some manufacturer would make alternate expression heads so that the MP-11 could also showcase his choking expression, his sulking expression, and of course the classic smirk that the MP-03 delivered... waaayy back when this Masterpiece thing was still in its infancy.

Cheers!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This^

Some should see if Yes Model or KFC would be up for it. *plus I can upgrade my v1 and igear seekers to the better head design*

4. bruticonstuntercon

5. Aldetron

Aldetron Seeker

News Credits:
    It is not just you. I think it is just the lighting. See this pic below of the first release vs those pics. And then some of the first release in different lighting.

New
    E0044692-3EA4-4DB0-A2C0-F2C03497A909.jpeg
    Old

2695C144-81E7-4871-890A-9AF18B37E88E.jpeg

783F8830-5D0B-483D-B4BB-3AD9E85AC551.jpeg

Lighting can really through off that blue.

6. WyldeBill

WyldeBill Yeeee Hawww!

Ebay:
    I wish I had the dough to get the non embellished YM Thundercracker.

7. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone know if YM is still producing the cone heads?

Curious how urgent it is I pick them up. lol

8. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should still be able to find them available. But you never know what may happen to the availability in the near future.

9. bruticonstuntercon

Do you know somewhere that's still selling them? I know Showz and TFDirect are out of stock and only selling the new ones now. I am absolutely kicking myself for not buying them earlier; I think the new design is so over top and ruins them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lord Jinnai

Lord Jinnai Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you there. I don't get all the little bits of silver all over the wings - At this point it may be better to wait for Maketoys to releases Thundercracker and Skywarp

11. bruticonstuntercon

Unfortunately I just can't do that. Though the MT version is not without merit, I'm not a buy-then-put-on-shelf-and-leave sort of guy; I like transforming stuff on an almost daily basis and the constant disintegration of the thing every time it's transformed would drive me mad. Damn. So annoyed at myself.

12. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    It makes no sense why YM added the tampos on the second run for TC and SW. In any case I wouldn't let that deter anyone from picking them up. Once you have them in hand you'll quickly realize how superior the build quality is to the official Takara versions. Not to mention all of the included extra accessories.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nike5580

nike5580 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I ordered the second run of YM Skywarp to do a custom to go with the YM MP-03 deco of Starscream. My idea is kinda like a seeker special forces group.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want some MP Coneheads in my collection. But I don't like the TT official ones. So I'm trying to decide between the Yes Model Coneheads or the ones made by ToyWorld. The ToyWorld ones are a bit larger, but they don't seem to look too out of place compared to the MP-11's despite that, do they? My thinking is that they are a different set of jets, so if the size difference isn't too dramatic, they might look okay. What do you guys think? Or shouldI just stick with trying to track down the YM Coneheads instead and have a more consistent look?

15. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Maketoys?

16. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To clear the air on that, I will be getting MakeToys Seekers (already have Howling Meteor). But I am looking to complete my more detailed/realistic side of my MP's. I think Zeta is possibly releasing a detailed Starscream as well, but no word on others. So I won't count them. I just want to round out my MP-11 style (for lack of a better word) collection.

17. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys, question. If I can find the official Ramjet from a friend for $105, should I buy the official for this price or go for yes model? I have yes model dirge and he’s awesome but having the official for that price, I’m not sure what to do. Thoughts? It’s MISB

18. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    And let me be clear. I’m not knocking first or third party but different perspectives is something I like to get. Thanks in advance.

19. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    The Yes Model versions are just better quality overall. Plus they come with lots of accessories/weapons configurations that the official doesn't come with. Plus the Yes Model coneheads come with Takara style heads and optional original Yes Model/Toy Mecha heads.

20. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    How bad is the QC for the official? I just figured for the price it might be too good to pass up at $105

• Like Like x 1