KO upscaled Feral Rex/Predaking and Catilla

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Dec 12, 2015.

1. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

Basically, it's as simple as this...

If you're going to nitpick it to death as a "3rd Party" figure, then, no...don't get it, you aren't going to like it due to focus on the negatives, (which are few overall...).

However, IF you're willing, AND ABLE, to view it for WHAT IT IS, which is a KO of a 3rd Party combiner SET, at a SUPER REASONABLE PRICE (for what it is), along with said flaws (which still aren't THAT bad), then, yes...I say buy it (along WITH the factory upgrade set, which most do include the King's Claws).

The plastic is better than the Hastak Devastator, though not as good as other 3P or KO stuff out there, but STILL better than others (again, nitpicking a KO), and WAYYYYY MORE articulated in all modes.

I have him, and I really like the entire set, flaws and all, and he LOOKS to be more G1 in combined mode than the upcoming Hasbro set, for what it's worth. Not to mention it's SIX OS/KO FIGURES & UPGRADES, WITH WAY MORE ARTICULATION & WEAPONRY THAN CW DEVASTATOR (which is where your true comparison may lie...or possibly with the OS/KO GT DEVASTATOR, which is definitely better, but there's an age difference between those toys to consider as well.

Anyway, hope that helps you decide somewhat on which direction to go.

• Like Like x 4
  2. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

For everyone on the fence, he is absolutely worth the money. However, he is nowhere near as good as the JinBao Bruticus. I would imagine that the Hasbro Predaking will last longer, as the OSKO is very brittle.

That sword alone is hilarious, though.

3. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    TR Deluxe Windblade for rough scale.

Bought a used copy cheaply (owner probably got it in early 2017). The sword is ridiculously big and heavy. I actually have the CombToys W-01 Bastard Sword which is of the original size, but the pegs are different and too loose to be held by this KO OS Nero Rex's upgraded hands (no claws unfortunately).

All those photos showing it holding the big sword with both hands in this way? Yeah... it's practically needed as counterweight if you attached Divebomb to the back. Even without the 6th bot, it has a tendency to lean backwards. In this photo he is standing straight on its own, about 2-3 cm off the wall. It's placed there because if it does lean back, the wall is there. That's how wobbly I think it is. The leg limbs are simply too fat for a straighter stance. I've read how they can be slimmed down by removing some parts, but I don't like leaving out stuff (which is why I have all six combined).

I haven't even try posing with it, as mentioned by others I think some rubber/silicone pads on the feet would be required before I try anything dynamic. The arms cannot stay lifted, the limbs are simply too heavy and the ratchets are more like gentle suggestions. I am wondering how to strengthen those or at least prevent them from flopping back down immediately. Maybe I can stuff the joint holes with thick paper to increase the friction? Perhaps.

It's a gorgeous monstrosity, but nowhere as strong or playable as Jinbao's OS Warbotron (Bruticus).

nero rex.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've got to say after living with this set since just after release I think the perfect summary is 'Mixed Bag'. Looking at the highly posable POTP Predaking I really do regret picking this guy up. Thankfully Predaking is not a character I'm willing to throw $250 (KO plus POTP) at so the KO will be staying.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    I actually thought the same but took the plunge on the Nero Rex recolor (since it was a used copy and cheap anyway), reasoning to myself that if I ever get the PoTP version, it would at least be of a different color.

6. Necromancyr

Necromancyr Well-Known Member

Anyone that order this actually get the Tiger Hands addon? I had to have the seller send me the actual addon pack seperately because it wasn't shipped with the initial set and now it doesn't include the claws...

7. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what is this guy's weight?

8. ronnbot

ronnbot New Member

Just got mine after 1 week of placing the order!

Here he is with MP10 for scale:
    P1370531.JPG

Mine came with the upgrade kit (head, hands) but didn't come with the claw extensions - I will be messaging the seller about this. It was also sent in its retail box inside a shipping box and styrofoam, which is huge: 5060635937668635822.jpg

This is despite the fact that the the seller had this in the description: "Condition: Brand New(No Retail Box) to cut shipping fees, if you need original box, plz contact me and add extra $20"

Anyway, I find that the joints on mine are mostly good. Paint could be better but that was to be expected for the price. I still think the Nero colors is nicer but I'm a sucker for G1, and this version was cheaper and more available.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ronnbot

ronnbot New Member

Quick shot of him with other big bots (Generations Metroplex, Armada Unicron and ROTF/FansProject Bruticus) for size comparison:
    P1370537.JPG
    Looks like I need an OS Bruticus.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Blazedriver

Blazedriver Well-Known Member

very nice picture, may i ask what some of the robots are in your display case in the background? if this is off topic then could i start a conversation with you about it instead? thanks!

11. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks like alternators...

12. ronnbot

ronnbot New Member

They are indeed alternators: P1370549.JPG

Also, the seller sent me the claws so he's now complete:
    P1370553.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  13. Markatron

Markatron MarKreations Studios

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So question. I have the KO Oversized version of this set with the upgrade kit. Im wondering though. Did they ever do smaller more accurate heads for the oversized version?

14. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    Someone asked something similar on page 100 of the thread, basically "no, but you can try Shapeways".

15. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I did is just replace those stupid looking heads with some other heads from Hasbro junkies.

16. MrZurkon

MrZurkon Well-Known Member

If you're willing to do some painting there's these:
    All Hail Optimus by allhailoptimus - Shapeways Shops

I have the head for Razorclaw and it looks pretty good.

17. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone got a photo next to CW bruticus and/or Superion?

18. Switch313

Switch313 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I can get you one tonight, but the height different is massive.

He's more CW Devastator's height (a shade shorter head to head, but wings can be posed to give the illusion of height

• Like Like x 1
  19. CooljazCustoms

CooljazCustoms Autocon/Deceptibot

Ebay:
    Odd pic i know, we just moved and i unpacked and sprawled out some figures lol. But here is he along side OS KO Superion, Jinbao OS Bruticus, NBK Devy, and lots of Hasbro figs

I paid $100 for each Predaking and thats a steal! They are massive beasts and mine hold up very well. Theyve been apart and transformed quite a few times. Nothing close to breaking. Like ive mentioned before, thinking about getting them, DO IT!
    20180619_174538.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks great, thanks.

• Like Like x 1