Ko revoltech boba fett?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by MichaelGaxiola, Oct 12, 2015.

1. MichaelGaxiola

MichaelGaxiola Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hello everyone. I recently decided to get the REVOLTECH Boba Fett, and went to go check eBay for some listings. I discovered that there were some listings that were after shipping around $30. I thought this seemed strange due to revoltech bobas usually being $50ish. I just wanted to see if any one knew about any Ko bobas getting about because I can't find any info on this. Here's a link: Kaiyodo Complex Star Wars Revoltech Boba Fett 6 5" Series No 005 Action Figure | eBay

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't heard about KO Revoltech too but tbh I won't be surprised - especially after checking the link you posed i.e. China seller...not all are deceptive but I will be very cautious.

Another reason why it could be sold so cheaply is that it could be come out of the toy factories via illegal means.

Some of my friends who used to travel to certain cities (in China) which have these factories...and these cities have shops that sell the figures that 'come' from these factories...or so the owners claim...I honestly can't recall that part accurately.

However, it would explain how some of the rare figures (from other toylines) were bought cheaply in China. Example, Marvel Legends Red Deadpool, Rogue etc.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could be a bootleg, but it could also be cheap because of the yen being down against the dollar. I'm guessing the Japanese msrp is around 3000 yen, which I believe is around $25 right now. If the Chinese market got overstocked, it's even more believable.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    What you're talking about is actually pretty common. Stuff taken from the factory and sold directly by the thief sometimes with box and sometimes without. These aren't bootlegs, because they're from the factory where they're made and they are of the standard quality. The only difference is that these never make it to the distributor in Japan basically. The factory worker takes it and sells it themselves. But I refuse to buy from anything listed as China or Hong Kong, because there's a lot of bootlegs for import items and I have a hard time buying what is undoubtedly stolen goods even if the price is $20 to $30 less even after shipping.

What's really crappy about it though is that these items are only stolen in the sense that they company that commissioned them doesn't get them. In this case Kaiyodo. A buddy of mine whom I became good friends with in college when he came here for school told me some fun stories about stuff like this. Basically, his dad was a area manager and more or less everyone from the low guy on the totem pole who sneaks it out to the factory managers aware. The managers don't care, because they all have deals with the different workers to get a cut or are doing the taking and reselling themselves. Also, apparently in the situations where the factories aren't actually owned by the company (ie: Kaiyodo) and the owner is Chinese the owners even turn a blind eye as long as the company that is giving them work never complains about 'missing product'. And apparently that rarely happens because the missing product is usually reported as defective in some way or a sample run.

When I found all that our from my buddy it was enough to make my head spin.

5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that there are a bunch of KO revoltech TMNT figures out.

6. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, at one stage it was very prevalent in my country(Singapore). The re-selling of 'stolen'/rejected figures was so bad that even one very famous import store (in my country) was selling them (but as since stopped) on a regular basis.

I spoke against it years ago in a thread (over here - TFW2005 boards), that was specifically for collectors in my country and I was 'trolled' endlessly. Example, one of them posted nonsensical messages on me and another's 'profile boards'.

Some posters did see where I was coming from (the ethics side) but the trolling also took its toil against them. Basically, we shouldn't 'support' these sellers.

Thankfully, the mods stepped in and the thread was eventually closed ,rebooted and the most infamous troll was banned. However, he has since resurfaced under a new nick - he was accidently out-ed out by a newbie. I'm in two minds to 'report' him to the mods. XD

7. sages

sages Well-Known Member

Just did a quick search on Chinese auction site Taobao and people are selling these KO revoltechs at $13 apiece there so I am pretty sure those $30ish ones on eBay are fake too.

Personally, I'd be wary of buying toys like this from eBay regardless of where the seller comes from.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, in good ethically it's hard to get behind stuff like this. Stolen merchandise is stolen whether I stole it myself or I bought it off someone who did. I guess it really boils down to the 'collector entitlement' issue, because a lot of folks whom I talk to are okay with it on the grounds 'the regular version is too pricey and I DESERVE to have this toy'.

Two old adages come to mind: 1) Buyer beware & 2) If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    The 'collector entitlement' is really bad. It gets worse...collectors in my country have tried banding together to help each other out but even then, it has been known to backfire. Instead some of them even capitalize on this to scalp even more.

For example, if one member spotted a certain store carrying a certain rare figure, he/she will inform the group. Some members will take this opportunity to grab more of the above mentioned figure. The particular troll I mentioned was sighted a few times! LOL!

When queried this collector would say things like 'these belong to another friend', 'selling off my piece' etc.

The excuses were pretty lame and the chap was seen doing this a few times. Eventually other members grew 'wise' to his antics! X)

Oh well, I guess we can get Boba Fett to the KO list now! X)