KO MP-36 THF-Dynastron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Interim Head Warehouse Spelunker

News Credits:
    Each company staked their claim as to which color to produce so they wouldn’t end up undercutting each other and be left with unsold product. At the time, there was an oversaturation of MP-36s.

It’s been over 3 years and the demand isn’t what is was then because pretty much every variation was released.

2. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Except that some parts yellow. Mine was the 2019 (?) reissue and it still yellowed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    really is a missed opportunity not pumping out repaints! thought at least one of them would have done it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

Yet, Magten isn't being reissued, and IT is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

magten i heard were official mp36's stolen from the factory and repainted. probably why you never saw a reissue. also heard that the paint scratched off. i should've bought one when they were on clearance. by the time i wanted one they were all gone. i really want the mp36+ g1 toy version but it's so expensive. it's a shame it was never ko'd.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Interim Head Warehouse Spelunker

News Credits:
    IT is the most cartoon accurate version, has the most durable paint (minus the yellowing in some cases) of all the variations, including the official, and the best tolerances and hardware. It seemed to be the most popular of the 4 KOs released at the time. The reissue has been on hold for a while now, so IT might be waiting for higher preorder numbers before it goes back into production.

Also, seeing how the THF and the straight KO that are still being sold are probably from the original run, manufacturers might feel that the demand isn’t there yet.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  7. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe that yellowing happened with only certain copies. Mine is from the reissue and it still hasn't turned yellow. Many others have reported the same.

8. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Is the IT the only company that had some cases of Yellowing, or does THF too?

9. Spark

Spark General Electric

I have the official and Magten and can testify this is not the case. There are minor molding differences.

10. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    THF isn't silver, but it's a very pleasing gunmetal color. In certain ways I prefer its color to the magten version.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chirulazo

Chirulazo Well-Known Member

I do went crazy back when they came out and got them all, including the straight KO. I think IT was the best overall, but I like Maghten the most, it’s paint job is great. I did manage to buy the Original toy version from Takara at a sale over at TFSource, really cheap, and that one is a beautiful piece if you are into repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Only IT.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Good, i am only interested in THF anyways, hopefully one day i will get him once we move to new place.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I agree... THF looks really nice in-hand. I'm not sure I would like it more in silver. Plus, THF was widely reported to be better quality than the Magten (but not as good as IT).

But for me, ultimately it's about the red on the inner legs. I think I miss that more than the silver.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  15. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    Even if you got the IT, the yellowed ones are out of circulation now. They only probably accounted for about 20% of all copies made.

16. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

I've read the "stolen" mention in passing, but don't know the whole story there. Was it just a batch stolen, or a silver version that TT decided not to release? Kills me to hear they were on clearance too. Not sure I want to know how much...

I wanted him too, originally. I imagined chromed to be the "bestest" Megs, and I still agree it's a shame there was no KO (well, in context), but watching videos of the chrome made it seem too much of a distraction from the great accuracy of the MP-36 design. I hate the original G1 toy face, but love the animation-accurate maniacal laughing Megs, so even when I saw that preferred face on it, the chrome took too much away from its presence for me to enjoy it. It's great if the G1 face is your choice, and because you really want something better than MP-5, or if you wnat all the MP Megs', but silver or gunmetal in alt mode makes sense, and Magten looks great in silver in robot mode too.

I want Magten, or at least that paint scheme on a MP-36, but assuming the current IT preorder comes to fruition, will probably end up with that for the foreseeable future. :/

17. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

I have a Magten and he is floppy all over. Bicep swivel. Hips in both directions. Butterfly joint. Ugh. He isn’t even fun to handle.

18. Spark

Spark General Electric

Seriously, it's not a "repainted" stolen TT batch. Likely just produced from toolings made from swiped CAD just like all the other KO versions. I assume someone who doesn't actually own one was just speculating at one point and it got repeated.

19. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

it was a long time ago and rumors always fly around the ko world. i'm not sure how true the rumor was. memories are hazy of that era. the clearance price was a really good price. i've gotten my share of great clearance deals.

20. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    My Magten is still in good condition. I sold my official MP36 and then picked up Magten for about £50 which was a steal. Metallic finish, red inner legs and the + version accessories.

It’s like a Hasui Megatron to me with the red legs and metallic paint, and I have no regrets.

D1B41F45-47FB-4B00-900F-E0EC74B180E9.jpeg 84341DA7-B800-4E7C-9CF2-5C3BB2ED3555.jpeg DD99ACD9-0B78-4EB8-850C-AA3CF0A304B0.jpeg

• Like Like x 4