KO Maketoys Utopia

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by xueyue2, Dec 22, 2015.

1. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

This could prompt MT to cancel their Citybots line entirely. Pandinus will probably come out, because they've already invested so heavily in the tooling, but Trypticon and Fort Max are probably not happening now.

2. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This person does not understand logic. At the end of the day, its a small company and eventually people will not want to make figures anymore because there is no money in it. A person has to have ethics and a conscious and even some integrity, which some people don't. Even the Mafia had The Commission. I guess things are still like the wild wild west. Even though I want to buy the OS Feral Rex, I don't think I will because its trending down a wrong path. The OS MP-10 I bought because I knew there was not a chance in hell that Takara would put one out. Also, the 3rd party market provides Takara with market research for free. I think from the 3rd party perspective they gotta start guarding their stuff better and get more trustworthy factories.

3. Grindar

Grindar Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    At this point Maketoys has realized just about everything they would get out of that mold. Most of the retailers have surplus, they did a recolor/remold with no sign of doing another. I don't think it will impact their future endeavors.

4. yacobschlomo

yacobschlomo Member

I've seen so many statements recently like this from people that KOs don't hurt because X company has already made their money back from a particular mold. That's just incorrect and short sighted. It's not just about one KO. It's about what happens down the road once people start buying these KOs. the KO companies will start making more KOs and cranking these out faster. Many people will wait and pay 1/3, 1/4 the price for the KO rather than the original. 3rd parties will be less likely to make an investment in a major project like this because it's less likely they'll be able to turn a profit.

5. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I'm down for a knock-off of Utopia, as I already have the real Utopia and Dystopia! I'm fine with a knock off for a third one, just because I want to get some modifications done on it, and a knock off will hopefully be WAY less painful (financially!)

6. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    If the KO companies had the ability to pump these out faster and easier, they'd have already done so and completed directly with earlier releases.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. For $400 I wouldn't touch it. For $130 or so I'd bite.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love MakeToys, but how sorry am I supposed to feel for them when their Utopia was built around ripping off another company's IP in the first place? Life in the big city. Sucks for them, but this is the wild west environment they helped create, so no tears please.

9. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What you described is "let's ok to rob rich people, since they have more money". This logic is BS. If you don't buy smaller company's KO, then apply this principal to all companies' product as well, don't talk about ethics, integrity and conscious while happily buying KO. No matter big or small, companies all need to make profit and survive.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If they oversized this to 30".......

11. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Completely agree with these. People getting worked up about 3rd party stuff getting KO'd need to realise that the only reason that 3P's exist is because they're using someones elses (Hasbro/Takara) characters. It can't be "one rule for them and one rule for us." I've little sympathy for any of their designs getting KO'd, and i'm someone who buys a lot of 3P stuff.

12. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    so $110 usd for a ko utopia that might be oversized......i'd be in if combiner wars wasn't killing me already......

13. shuyyk

shuyyk Member

does this spell the beginning of the end for 3P companies? taking aside the morality argument, it's pure economics - when the toy design u painstakingly created is easily ripped off by another company, your incentive to create more good stuff rapidly diminishes. that's why IP laws were created in the first place.

14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    It will not and it has to do with this little thing called patience.

15. shuyyk

shuyyk Member

i do hope you're right, though for those with a limited budget patience is all they can afford.

16. KlownDie

KlownDie Predacon

I agree....

17. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 It's Hot Rod's fault...

Wasn't the battle tanker set KO'd? How about Fansproject stuff? Toyworld throttle bots? I don't understand the big huff and puff. TT/Hasbro masterpieces are KO'd, upsized and repainted. No one bats an eye. Everyone needs to calm down. If you don't like it don't buy it. Want it? Buy it.

18. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Conversely, I feel genuine sympathy towards anyone who lets the legality of a thing dictate their own personal morality.

It's wholly irrelevant.

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be scared to death of the quality of this thing, but at $120 it might be worth the gamble.

20. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I share your concern, if lightly. It's less that China doesn't respect IP law, but more like that's not how business works there, to some degree. Seems like it's about who has it and can sell it, not who thought it up, in western sense.
    Interesting article on npr about an example of this:
    The Hoverboard Mystery: Where Did The Holidays' Hot Product Come From? : NPR

That swagway/skywalker thing that's all the rage now was originally a Kickstarter for a thing called a hovertrax. But before he could even get it to market it had been copied/redesigned and there are literally hundreds of little networked companies that make the parts.

Pretty interesting article. Hope it doesn't happen to third party.