KO Insecticons now up on ebay!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Red leader, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Two people have seemingly complained about the lack of resemblance. TWO. At the most, and even then their comments weren't clear enough. Now feel free to resume complaints about whatever it is you people have decided to complain about today.

2. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

But... the loose originals are cheaper and the MISB reissues are comparable... So What is the motivation as if you were looking for a place holder you could get the real thing?

And there is a difference between KO's like Devastator and these. These appear to be implicitly designed to defraud down to the HASBRO logos. That isn't the same as a green Devastator on a pink bubble card that says 'Build-o-bots'.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I was being a bit harsh by throwing a "Geez" at a couple people, they didn't deserve it and I was just being impulsive!

But really, I was just pointing out that they could still fool someone not studied on the specifics of G1 Insecticon packaging. Be it for better or worse. If I saw these in someones collection, I wouldn't guess they were KOs, and if someone was getting them for displaying them as such then I think it would do the trick.

4. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Geez, harsh? :p  Would take a severe lack of a pair of Armada Dead Ends to get offended by that. I think I was going for more of a, "if you're going to complain about something, might as well make it a valid problem" sort of response.

5. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

$50 for 3 orignal insections are too expensive, they don't worth more than $30 to me.
    They are probably the most common found pieces when you buy lot, on par with the constructicons.

6. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Way to not help my case at all, eBay auction!

At the time I posted it, they were $30 plus shipping, with an hour to go. What a moronic hour that became.

7. nkelsch

50$ isn't bad for complete loose originals.

For people wanting figures to play with, this is a much better alternative than questionable KOs.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Those look awesome. I would like to get them someday, but Im also holding off on waiting to see if Tak does an Encore of these.

Also, wth are you people saying about the box being off color? The Marriage KO was/is the same way with the colors way off and everything. Put a G1 box next to either of them and its totally obvious.

Also, for people bashing KOs. What is wrong with some people wanting a G1 toy in a package that is as close to the G1 packaging as possible? Some of us really like the look of case fresh G1 products, but buying an original in that good condition is just cost prohibitive.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    these would make good kitbashing fodder, minty chrome parts.

10. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I still do not understand why these were KO'ed as there is not much demand? But hey they did KO Warpath so I guess they will do anything.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'll back you up on this. I get KOs in place of the real deal until I can find the real thing. I've got Trainbots and Liokaiser that way but would love to somehow acquire the real thing one day. I've no second thoughts about doing that for Swoop.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well, could it possibly be because I don't want loose ones? I like things with their packaging. Almost every single TF I own has theirs. I don't collect MISB, but I DO collect MIB.
    Besides, who are you to tell me how to collect?

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow... KO Insecticons.

I remember back at the early Botcons when I'd toss those into a crowd of fans for free to drum up business at my booth. I always had just a ton of them and nobody would ever buy them. Come to think about it, I use to do the same with Constructicons too. Sigh. Time seems to find a way to make treasure out of trash for just about everything these days.

14. nkelsch

I just don't understand why MIB collectors would want a box that isn't real. Part of collecting is the effort to get a specific item and the pride in having it in your collection.

I would rather not have an item in my collection than a fake item. Especially when it comes to packaging. This goes back to the problem we had a little while ago with fake boxes showing up on ebay and then real figures showing up sealed in fake boxes.

I think I would have infinitely less problem with these if they were bubbled to a pink card called Insect-robo-o-trons opposed to having a HASBRO logo on them.

KOs are either reverse engineered or the molds are stolen. Since these were recently run, I suspect the molds were stolen. After they run the mold enough the mold has damage and loses quality and they don't use it anymore and get rid of it. But we need some hands-on review to tell. If they *DID* use the mold it is possible these even have the copyright marks and dates which would be bad.

15. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Someone asked whether these are from Zhong Jin (the company that makes most of the knockoffs) or if they're by Kiddi Toys (the company that makes the Metroplex knockoff). These are from Zhong Jin. (I know because the guy who is in charge has a Photobucket account where he's had pictures of prototypes of these up for a while.)

16. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

Precisely. You.

I just don't understand... why anyone would want non-transforming figures, like busts and statues.
    I would rather not... have Classics/Universe, and would rather have Titanium and Alternators back as the collectors lines.
    I think I would... prefer it if Hasbro stopped endlessly repainting the Movie figures.

Just because they're my opinion or experience, doesn't mean any of these things are necessarily wrong.

For a bunch of adults running around collecting toys from their youth, some people seem to be missing a point here. Of course part of the attraction of these KOs is pretending they're MISB originals. But not in the dark, deceptive, fraudulent way you're thinking. I remember getting the 3 Insecticons when I was a kid, and opening them up and being the first to touch them and figuring out how they worked, and trying to remember which one was named which because they were so new and unfamiliar, and trying to pronounce Shrapnel's insect name (Lame-Lilly-Corn or something?), and seeing where all the bits went, and did I have Kickback's head round the right way, and could I get the stickers on right the first time, and keeping them away from my brother because they were mine and I didn't want them broken in the first 5 seconds...

Even good condition second-hand ones are still like hand-me-downs. I'm grown up enough now that if I want to buy something brand-new if possible, then why on earth can't I? Yes, I know they're not genuine, but neither's WWF, or The Blair Witch, or Pamela Anderson's bustline. Or American Idol. Do you really want to be Comic Book Guy, stomping on other people's enjoyment, because you don't get it?

Let's try that out then: "I just don't understand... why a grown adult would want second-hand figures." See how that works?

I'm not really here to convince you of the reasons why you would want to buy KOs, except to say that people in the fandom don't agree on the series, figures, characters they like or want (see also: True Fan). I mean, look at the split on the BT-19/BT-20 announcement. And those are official figures. So why would they have the same priorities or definition about the meaning of "collecting" (you did just try and define it for everyone, didn't you)?

I actually have no plans to buy these KOs, or any G1 figures for that matter. Not because I don't like them, but because G1 is a whole big keg-o-worms I prefer not to pop the top off (ironically, seeing the KOs have tempted me to buy official figures like the Encores, but I've so far resisted the urge). But I can see why people might want them.

17. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to be one of the worst offenders for hating KO's (2 red cards mucho embaressed) but then Draven set me on the path to reality and I actually bought a mirage which I duly opened and loved, it was more or less the same as the original but cost me £20, I sold my vintage one and now have a nice new mirage and some money in my pocket, I even had a go at selling them but the demand isnt there for them (not in the uk anyway) so dont worry about them taking away from your originals.

Buy some and then moan its the only way you can have a balanced opinion otherwise you end up like I did and look like a dick for ranting.

18. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    It is quite simple. if you like them buy them, if not then shut the F*cK up and stop pissing and crying about the state of Ko's ...it is like trying to make the sun not rise in the sky in the morning.

19. nkelsch

International copyright law? Collecting KOs is actually wrong opposed to your other examples which are just a matter of taste. Liking statues VS PVC minis VS animated VS classics is not the same as collecting KOs in fake boxes and displaying/trading/collecting them to be real.

Pretending something has value as an MISB collectible when it doesn't?

I *UNDERSTAND* why adults want toys, and MISB or MIB or to open brand new boxes. But Trying to fill in a hole in a MIB collection of real figures with a KO screams nothing but trouble and deceptiveness. I don't understand how adults attempting to have a collection to recapture their youth or anything would see value in buying a KO and keeping it MISB and pretending it is real.

I would see why someone would get a KO to open and play with as a cheap alternative but these are not cheap alternatives. For less money you could get REAL figures. Even real figures IN A BOX. (resissue)

These specific KOs are deceptive. And anyone attempting to add them to a collection is either doing it with the explicit goal of deceiving themselves or others. Because keeping them in a FAKE BOX with HASBRO LOGOS means you are pretending they are real in some way especially for the cost.
    And we will see these being passed off as real by deceptive collectors in the future which is going to hurt everyone.

So I can't have an opinion about breaking the law or buying illegal goods until I have actually done it. :rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2008
  20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Easy.