KO = good, 3:rd party = good, igear = bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This goes for me as well. I have the KO Henkei Thundercracker and Ghost Starscream and they look practically indistinguishable from the real thing with no real QC problems at what I would consider to be a reasonable price.

Also this. I have them on pre-order already. I don't really have much to add with regard to the whole 'iGear iz KO' debate, but since I've never bought anything from them before, it's never really concerned me so much.

But like with most things, people vote with their wallets it seems, so that fact that they are still around and making products and selling them means there is a market for their particular brand of merchandise.

2. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    I'm halfway considering buying a set of KO Dinobots and trying to decide if it's a really bad idea...

3. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Your opinion, not mine.

Like several other molds I think Classics/Henkei Prime is one that should have stuck to the G1 design more closely instead of reimagining stuff just for the sake of it and as soon as I saw what scale Faith Leader was Henkei Prime went on ebay because I had no need for it any more...........the money it raised helped pay for Faith Leader.

My conscience on buying iGear products is crystal clear..........Hasbro can't be bothered to support the UK properly with full distribution so I couldn't give a damn who rips off their designs...end of story.

I am aware that the legs are removable if pulled but the issue was that they wouldn't stay on AT ALL. I could forgive the odd one or two sneaking by the QC department but an entire pallet on the first occasion was enough to give me a zero tolerance policy when the second one came out.

4. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I must admit I don't think of it as ripping a fan off. If he was actually producing more of them and was making a profit out of it then fine, I'd get your point. But as far as I know he hasn't produced new ones since wonderfest...08 was it? He sold a few after that, but that was just what he had left, and those sold out in a matter of days.

I think of it as getting access to a highly saught after toy that is pretty much on par with the japanese dino casettes in terms of availability, also I'd like it to be the same size as that of bumblebee in the classics line, so the original wouldn't make me 100% satisfied anyway, so yeah if that was to happen then I'd be all over that toy.

5. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    :deadhorse:  for most of this thread.

On the other hand, I am pretty excited to get the set of Kup heads. It's my first igear product and I'm kind of glad they decided to come up with a new product rather than just resizing an old on.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fort Max is over 20 years old, and there are no plans to reissue him. MP Convoy is still in use, and is being reissued again VERY soon.
    PLEASE tell me you can see the difference between a KO of an old design that isn't used any more, and a new design that is.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Sure, I can tell the difference. I apologize if i missed your point and how it relates to what I said. DRAVEN, DONT GET MAD. explain.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I rate it this way :

Dollar store KOs: not worth the trouble of getting mad about.

High Quality KOs: fine if bought as such deplorable if sold as legit

Igear: KO makers by in large and I am not going to go into my whole feelings on them.

people who sell High quality KOs as legit: Scum of the Universe.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Lovely, another KO thread! LOL!

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not mad. I did however ask if you could see the difference, not what that difference was. ;) 
    The difference is that a KO of an old figure, no longer being produce, that there are no plans to reissue or cannot be reissued, takes no money away from Hasbro or Takara.
    That is Fort/Grand/Brave Maximus.
    A KO of a current figure, one that is still in production, does potentially take money away from Hasbro/Takara.
    That is iGear's scaled down Convoy.
    iGear are a step below companies like FP and even CrazyDevy in that most of their products are replicas of existing products. Not only that, but replicas of products that are still being produced, thuis potentially taking sales away from HasTak.

11. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't it the same company doing the fortres maximus that did the KO metroplex (which is one of the few really, really good knock offs out there) And if so, shouldn't that make them every bit as dispicable as igear in your eyes since they released it at about the same time as takara released its reissue?

12. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Alright, I see. I can see how some igear products are below 3rd party stuff as well.. Now, I bought a KO MP prime from them and here is why; I owned several MP primes and I always ended up selling them. I just didnt like the size. Igear fixed that for me. They made an MP scaled to my liking. I really never wanted hastak's. So I think that igear just catered to people in my position. They didnt steal any potential sales. At least in my case. It just seemed like when those igear threads were bouncing around, there was alot of hate for them.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And I didn't BUY the KO Metroplex. Neither would I because an official one is available. If an official Grand Max reissue suddenly appears I'll buy that over a KO any day. If it doesn't, I'll get the KO.