Heavy/Scratch: KO Devastator Custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by simified, Nov 16, 2009.

1. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw Uusers custom a while back and thought it was totally bad ass since Devastator is my favorite combiner. The poseablity this mod gives to Devastator is a nothing less than EXCELLENT! With that being said I give thanks to him for inspiring me to make my own!

Just a short review on this if anyone saw this on somewhere and was thinking of picking this up. I picked up this KO off of eBay UK for about $25. I'm sure you all have heard of the proverb "you get what you pay for", that holds so very true for this KO. Scrapper & Boncrushers heads don't flip down and are constantly out. Scavenger has no head to speak of, and most of the hands are incapable of even holding guns. I can go on and on about how crappy each individual robot is but I'd get too tired from typing. If you want a decent Devastator though for your collection or simply want to mod one but don't want to pay a high price, this isn't a bad buy at all then. Aside from the green & purple coloration being a wee bit darker and bad stickers, Devastator isn't that different form the original which I did have at one point before trading him for a G1 Wheeljack. The 'cons fit together nice and snug and a reprolabels sticker upgrade kit does wonders for this.

I used Lego Bionicles Hydraxon #8923 for this which I picked up on eBay UK for about $28. The paints were Games Workshops Liche Purple and Mithril Silver, some Model Masters Sublime Green enamel and Guards Red acrylic to repaint the Bionicle parts and some touch ups on Devastator. I repainted the existing Devastator portions purple as well to lighten them up some which made it look more uniform. I had a hard time finding a green to match and was too damn lazy to mix my own so I was left with the sublime green. I didn't like having to use a gloss paint but after reassembly it looked pretty damn good imo. The original gun was too small and like a pea shooter now so I used an old gun from one of my Incredible Hulk toys, which I thought went good with it. Oversized guns kick ass! The Lego arms replaced the old launchers and I had no further use for them so I decided to trim off the backs and add them to the arms along with the original gun. I hate wasting parts and I thought that it added a nice touch too. I added some pix of the box art and a group shot of the Constructicons so you can see the "quality" craftsmanship that went into making them. Also is a shot of all the weapons the set came with which you can see the hollow backs to the launchers, what I forgot to add though was a pic of the back of Devastators head which is hollow as well. I added a shot of some Superion Maximus just to show the height increase. Devastator actually looks like he can take down Superion now, even after I get his appendage kit, LOL! With the purchase of the Bionicle, KO Constructicon set, and reprolabel stickers this whole mod only cost about $65 which isn't bad considering you're not going to get the original version any cheaper.

Anyone wanting to do this mod should check out Uusers thread which is where I learned how to do mine. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/232630-custom-devastator-g2-version-1-a.html

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      713.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      716.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      435.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      519.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      535.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.5.JPG
      5.5.JPG
      File size:
      674.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      540.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.5.JPG
      6.5.JPG
      File size:
      446.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      417.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      411.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      448 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      451 KB
      Views:
    • 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      439.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      524.5 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      524.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Sharkysharky

Sharkysharky Well-Known Member

I want to be the first one to say a large thank you for generously sharing how you did this so others can customise their Devastators in similar ways, for the simple pleasure of it not for profit. Unlike other customisers who seem to crop up on here with the spirit of "I'm so brilliant, look what I've made fo me alone, and stuff you I'm not going to show you how to do it ne ne ne ne ne", the biggest and most prolific offender being a cirtain G1 articulator, you genuinely seem to understand what Radicons is about. Once again, thank you, if you were in my local, I'd buy you a pint or ten !

3. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:

u r right and wrong
    naming is not the place for this either (that whats radicons r all about aint it ?)

simified-tnx for sharing
    i really like the paint scheme

4. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Ya know, I bought that same p.o.s. not too long ago. I thought I got a defect cause my Scavenger didn't have a head either. But anyways, Nice job.

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    nice! i saw these in the store but they didnt include the devatator pieces, it was just the bots. so i started building him but didnt have the needed parts and ended up tearing him down for parts. yours looks sweet though, i like the g1 colors!

6. dhugieboi

dhugieboi Well-Known Member

This is sweet!
    I made something similar but I used a smaller KO Devastator.

7. simified

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliment! I wanted to be indepth so people would know how I did it, what I used, etc. Had Uuser not made a his own tutorial I would have done one myself. I'd still offer help to anyone who needed it just because modding the hollow KO's was a bit tricky. The only real "profit" I seek is helping others so they can have a bad ass custom of their own. Who's the certain G1 articulator though?

It is indeed what Radicons is about! Thank you also, do love how people do the weathered look to their bots but I've always been partial to the original G1 paint schemes myself.

That made me laugh, it was like Scavanger had half of a face! Had I wanted to keep him displayed in robot mode I would have been mad at that but as it stands it was not big deal, I had to cut off Scrapper & Bonecrushers non-moving heads to make Devastator look better anyway.

At least you got some use out of it. Sort of lame if you ask me for them not to include the Devastator pieces though. Oh well, knock offs...go figure. :lol 
    Thank you also for the compliment!

I wasn't aware that the KO's came in different sizes, interesting. How tall was the one that you purchased?

I saw CrazyDevy's Construction Brigade Power Parts for the leg and head. I'm debating on what to do now. I like the leg extensions only because they look more solid and I think that it makes Devastator look better, yet I really love how the Bionicle part in the back has the hydraulic look to it. There is also the matter of the head too. I'm a BIG fan of LED's on toys and the light up visor DOES look bad ass but I'm not too sure about the overall face design. I'm open to all suggestions not as to what I should do....swap out the Bionicle leg mod for the Power Brigade legs and should I keep the head or swap it out as well for the Power Brigade head with LED? Check out the link... CrazyDevy

8. uuser

uuser Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just see this tread.
    Awesome painting!! It looks so much better after the painting. Really like it. I should try it on mine too.

9. dhugieboi

10. simified

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliment AND inspiration!!! :D 

OH HELL YA! That's pretty damn BAD ASS if I do say so myself! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice job!

11. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Looks like I have some work to do on th ko dev I got from big lots for 8 bucks lol!
    I have been addicted to sublime green for a few months now so excellent use on that!

12. dhugieboi

My second take.

A big thanks for my bro's bionicle parts :D 

My second take on bringing some love for this classic G1 character.
    First and smaller version can be seen here: Cybertron Philippines - Re: Caloocan6th's - 12" Articulated Devastator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More fotos (some with size comparison)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. BruticusPrime

BruticusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love this Devy mod and want to do it with my KO, but I feel a dumb as I cannot find the tutorial. Help anyone?
    Thanks!
    BP