Customs: kit-bashing do's, don'ts and questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Mattw38, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mattw38

Mattw38 Well-Known Member

Why should a gestalt NOT be your first choice for a kit-bash? I was planning on doing Menasor (G1-style)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Gestalts are the height of engineering and complexity. To do a gestalt you not only need to design a toy that can freely go between robot and alternate mode, but also limb mode as well. Not just my words, that is also what Hasbro has said about traditional combiners when asked on occasion.

Basically, you're not making one toy with two modes anymore - you're making half a dozen toys with three modes that all need to work with one another.

I advise starting small, do something simple and easy (and fun!) and work up to the bigger tasks as your skills grow.

3. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yep exactly like sol said - i have just finished a devastator off for a competition and the Auto Assembly convention! I have been into customising around 2 years now, even then this build took me around 3-4 months from buying the toys to finished! Id reccomend starting with a couple of scout or even smaller legends class transformers and make them awsome before getting onto something so complex. hope this helps but most of all dont be put off completely just build your self up to the task.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Because the amount of understanding you need to have to make a Gestalt is way more than anyone would have for a first bash. The sheer number of parts that all have to fit together is insane, add to that the weight issues, cost (which is made all the worse because you're bound to screw something up) and stability worries, etc., and you have a recipe for disaster. Or devastation, sometimes. :lol 

5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or devastation, sometimes. - best quote ever! so true for a noob like me making a devastator those things are not to be taken lightly and a torture shop for toys!