Kingdom Waspinator In-Hand Images & Review

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Jun 10, 2021.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    The nitpicking over T30 v Kingdom Rhinox (and increasingly so with Waspinator) is perfect evidence for why "screen accuracy" is a pointless buzzword. Neither is entirely accurate and the people who prefer one over the other are just arguing over which aspects they personally prioritize. And, in many cases, it seems like they're arguing with themselves in an attempt to silence the FOMO they're feeling...or trying to talk themselves in to buying a figure they don't want.

Like I've been saying: Don't buy a figure for what you want it to be, buy it for what it is. No toy is intended as a replacement for one you already own, mostly because HasTak aren't counting on long time collectors as its core market. I've got both versions of Rhinox now and if you ask me which is better I'll say "the one that costs less." Because they're both solid figures with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I didn't buy Kingdom Rhinox to replace T30 Rhinox. I bought Kingdom Rhinox because I liked Kingdom Rhinox. If, at this point, you're still nitpicking between the two...stick with the T30 one. You clearly aren't all that interested in Kingdom's version and will be happier saving the $30 for something else down the road.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just like cool looking toys that are fun to transform and fiddle with.

• Like Like x 14
  3. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Except T30 Waspinator came out 8 years ago. There are kids old enough today to play with Transformers who weren't alive when he was on shelves. These toys aren't made for us as a means of incrementally replacing figures every few years...and you can really see the fatigue in some people who think of them as such.

Look at ER Prime. People have already begun talking about what a "better" version would look like and are psyching themselves up to buy it when the time inevitably comes. If Kingdom does well, odds are we'll see all of these characters again, and have this same discussion then too.

• Like Like x 5
  4. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Actually I think the BW guys are similar to latest G1 in being close to mini MP. Look at Dinobot, blackarachnia, Primal, Megatron as examples that have MP as well. Only Cheetor doesn't stand up to the MP much while the rest are super close to simplified MP much like the latest G1.

They're definitely not like CHUG where they were inspired but pretty different in sculpt. The kingdom examples I brought up are extremely accurate to their source on a budget just like the G1 current releases like earthrise prime etc are as well.

Just look at CGI vs the kingdom examples I brought up. Beast modes don't apply since they're going for real life animal accuracy and have stated doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And this is where we disagree, because I see the beast mode as equally important to show accuracy as the bot mode. The beast modes are the primary reason for them not being show accurate. To claim they are show accurate while stating that the beast modes don't apply is a logical fallacy in my opinion. The beast modes in the show had almost equal the screen time as the bot modes, if not more, during the 1st season and the Kingdom beast modes do not look anything like the show characters. If the beast modes don't apply then you might as well just collect R.E.D. figures instead of ones that transform.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    That was hasbro strategy though to mesh up real world beast modes with show accurate bot modes. It's really not a logical fallacy and Kingdom Blackarachnia and Primal are perfect examples.

Think of it like a fusion food. You totally can have an accurate robot mode with an inaccurate beast mode. Kingdom Blackarachnia is like a mini MP in robot mode with a totally different looking spider mode. Are you gonna tell me her robot mode is inaccurate? Only the spider legs hanging on her shoulders are different. Even the gun is perfect. Her head sculpt surpassed the MP.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a logical fallacy to call the figures show accurate when the beast modes aren't show accurate, regardless of Hasbro's strategy. They are show inspired, not show accurate. Again, I am not arguing degrees of deviation. I am looking at the figures as a whole rather than only looking at the bot mode or beast mode. If one is inaccurate then technically the figure as a whole is inaccurate. The fact that I keep having to repeat this tells me you are not even interested in looking at it from my perspective. It's why I said there are 2 similar, yet subtly different, discussions going on.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  8. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Yes I hear what you're saying and with your view then the g1 figures are also inaccurate. Wheeljack clearly isn't a lancia stratus like the original toy nor like the animation model of it. It's inspired by it and not the same. Same with the datsun Bros, sunstreaker, and most others.

I don't get how your argument the the beasts are totally inaccurate due to just their beast modes yet the g1 are sunbow on a budget hold up.

Hasbro by intention made them accurate in bot mode to animation and accurate to real animals in beast mode. The MP will keep carrying the torch of CGI beast modes as well. I hear your point it just doesn't make sense to defend the inconsistency of the rhinox head sculpt just because the entire rhino mode isn't CGI accurate when all the other kingdom figures nailed the head sculpts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It holds up because the vehicle modes were not presented as characters in their own right whereas the BW beast modes were. The vehicle modes weren't able to emote or do anything other than drive/fly whereas the BW characters spent a large chunk of screen time in their beast modes. I'd argue that the beast modes are more integral to the characters in BW than the vehicle modes were to the G1 guys.

As a whole this
    Screenshot 2021-06-17 122951.jpg

looks more like this
    214d55b6-dc33-4b0e-9a67-016d90e75465.2f041f8928bc1a19b0236124f65a6735.jpeg

than this
    primal.jpg

looks like this
    Screenshot 2021-06-17 123251.jpg

My issue is with people incorrectly stating that the BW figures are show accurate when they are not, period. It really has nothing to do with defending Rhinox's headsculpt because honestly I don't feel the need to defend it. It looks enough like Rhinox to me. Yes Hasbro made an intentional design decision to make the beast modes more realistic, which is an intentional decision to deviate from the Mainframe designs, thus rendering them inaccurate.

Granted at this point we are wildly off topic for this thread, keep believing whatever you want and I'll do the same because neither of us are going to change the others mind.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Correct that that decision renders them inaccurate but inaccurate in BEAST MODE. Are you really saying Blackarachnia is inaccurate in bot mode just cause her spider mode? Cause with a couple more paint apps she's near dead on the MP. Way more than WFC wheeljack to the screenshot you posted.

If won't acknowledge at all that some of these kingdom figures are show accurate then you're not looking at them objectively. Blackarachnia and Dinobot being very good examples.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am looking at them objectively, if you are only considering 50% of the figure (bot mode) then you are not understanding my perspective on this, nor the factual reality. This conversation is over because I'm kind of sick of going in circles with you and we are massively off topic. Good day.

12. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    So.... Waspinator.

• Like Like x 8
  13. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i can see htem using same engineering but none of the same parts. Think Tentakill and Novastar, or TR Highbrow and TR Scourge

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

A beauty.

In fairness hasbro have done good by ol waspy in recent years.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I think it's less people misunderstanding your perspective, and more the fact that when people criticize a headsculpt for not being show accurate, it's pretty damn obvious what they actually mean by that. You're obsessing over pedantic details of what constitutes true show accuracy when it's blatantly clear that people's issue is the robot mode head sculpt of characters like Rhinox are not the same level of accuracy to the show as the vast majority of the line, thus he stands out in comparison.

You're forcing equivalency and getting upset about what is honestly a pretty simple issue. Rhinox's headsculpt is simply not as good a likeness to the show as everyone else. That's all there is to it.

• Like Like x 10
  16. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know where you're getting this idea that anyone is saying the character doesn't look like a version of Rhinox? Literally all that was said was "hey both Scorponok and Waspinator headsculpts look dead on like the cartoon's head, so Rhinox being so different is even weirder than it was before" since some were assuming the change in aesthetic direction was because of Lenny Panzica being the new line's manager instead of John Warden who left after the first couple of Kingdom waves were set in stone. It's not even a criticism, just people pointing up it's a weird direction. It's the equivalent of when people were baffled at Hasbro using different purples for one of the Legends insecticons instead of color matching them.

• Like Like x 7
  17. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

i was 7 years old when that came out, now i feel old:tongue: 

18. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've said what I need to say and the conversation is over. If either of you think that I do nothing but argue "pedantic details" feel free to place me on ignore, but this isn't the thread to continue this discussion in.

19. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

he looks pretty decent my only issue is the insect legs hanging off and appearing not to be able to be folded away. i know people hate partsforming but id take a swappable set of legs over the traffic controller legs

• Like Like x 1
  20. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    *You* feel old? How do you think those of us who bought the originals back in the 90s feel?

• Like Like x 15