Kingdom Waspinator In-Hand Images & Review

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Jun 10, 2021.

1. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee #Justice4Chopter Trench's#1Fan

If you dont like rinoxs new head why not just swap it with the t30 one?

2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    It's still very obviously Rhinox though. If you want a Rhinox head that doesn't look like Rhinox, try taking a look at the Dawn of Futures Past figure. That is unrecognizable as Rhinox in a vacuum. Kingdom Rhinox still definitely looks like Rhinox. The proportional changes you are referring to don't look as egregious to me as you are making them out to be.
    botcon-2006-rhinox-transformers-beast_1_ebf990f0af8e5ac03e44aec41f4e34b7.jpg dcb13e65-1529-4468-82eb-f661491c554c.jpg Rhinox.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing that really throws it off is where the hell did those "ears" come from?

It's sort of a toy homage, I suppose, similarly to how the Grimlock head sculpt is a bit more "horizontal" than you might expect, to encompass where the original toy had the mutant head hinges. But it really throws off the look.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Could also be a slight reference to the Dawn of Futures Past figure since that one had ears too. We've seen Hasbro reference Botcon figures with newer versions of characters (TR Alpha Trion having a chest reminiscent of Vector Prime for example)

5. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Pros:
    Waist rotation
    Improved knees
    Ankle tilts

Cons:
    pale sickly yellow
    gun is missing the dart
    too many yellow bands on lower legs
    incorrect placement of bug legs in robot mode
    bug legs and antennae are too thick
    wings are too purple

Cons outweigh the pros, and the only real pro on that list I'd say are the knees. Waist and ankle tilts are nice and I know the ankle tilts is standard now but I don't feel it really hurts the last figure. What does hurt it are all the things I listed.

It's not old enough for people to be looking at it through rose tinted glasses and remembering that it's better than it actually is.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except that no one is saying that it's completely different and irrecognizable, people are saying that it's a reimagined head that lacks the accuracy and likeness that the other show characters were given. I don't know what trouble you are having understanding this. We had various toys in a row that nailed facial likeness much better than him, even Waspinator looks much closer than him, so it left people thinking "huh, wonder why they went in a different far more creative direction instead of being more accurate like they did on the others'. That is all there is to it.

• Like Like x 6
  7. maloney4playz

maloney4playz God's Strongest Broadside hater

News Credits:
    geez, waspinator can't even have his own thread, the universe really must hate him

• Like Like x 9
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's an objective fact that adding a few lines is not the same as completely changing a design. Optimus has a few extra bits of surface detail that doesn't change the likeness or shape of his head. Rhinox has a completely different head design with added or altered aspects that don't align with his show model.

An actual fallacy is pretending all changes are of equal severity because they are not identical to the original, and it's also just really semantic and a bad faith argument when it's clear Optimus and Rhinox are not inaccurate to anywhere near the same extent. It's like saying and apple is a watermelon because they're both not an orange. If you "deleted" the panel lines on primal's head sculpt you'd be left with a show-accurate head. If you deleted the panel lines on Rhinox you'd still have an inaccurate head.

But that's not what's being discussed. Now you're changing goal posts to fit your argument. It's not that the toy is unrecognizable as Rhinox, it's that the head sculpt is clearly not based on the show whereas every other Kingdom character is.

I guess if you randomly ignore pros like "has a much improved alt mode" and "scales better with the rest of Kingdom" and "has more detailed paint apps than the T30 figure" and "has way better wings with no stupid flapping gimmick" then yeah.

• Like Like x 11
  9. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

TBH I don't really mind that T30 Rhinox/Waspinator and Kingdom Rhinox/Waspinator are lateral moves from another; much like in the case of MP-28 and Hoodlum, it never hurts to have a choice!

• Like Like x 5
  10. maloney4playz

News Credits:
    then, just dont buy it? this waspinator is perfectly fine and at least it's going to be available for wide purchase unlike your holy t30's figure.
    1. the yellow isnt pale or sickly, thats most likely just the shit lighting
    2. the gun is shit yes but its not gonna bug people as much as shit knees and no waist swivel
    3. the bug legs are fine, if you dont like then then an upgrade kit will probably fix them.
    4. the bug legs had to be moved for the better transformation
    5. the wings are probably an homage to the animated waspinator

remember: kingdom is beast wars-inspired, its not meant to be 100% accurate to the BW show, that what the masterpieces are for

• Like Like x 8
  11. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:

The yellow definitely isn't yellow on that figure. Lighting doesn't do that. The rest it seems like you're willingly accepting compromises due to unavailability. And it's irrelevant what you assume Kingdom is. The fact is we have two Waspinator figures and one is an inferior representation.

Careful not to trip on that bar you've lowered for yourself.

12. Voytash78

Voytash78 Emperor of Destruction

[​IMG]

Rhinox in IDW Beast Wars comics has this kidn of ears. Maybe this is where the inspiration for them came from.

• Like Like x 1
  13. maloney4playz

News Credits:
    the kingdom one looks, poses and most likely feels better than the t30s one that is starting to show its age, could the kingdom one be better? definitely, theres always room for improvement, but is is shit for being what it is? absolutely not. and while the yellow might not look what you deem as yellow, it certainly doesnt look sickly. the fact is that kingdom waspinator is a perfectly fine toy and is nowhere near as bad as you think it is

and do try not to bang your head on that bar that you've set a bit too high for what is a mainline figure, maybe keep that bar for masterpiece but not mainline

• Like Like x 4
  14. maloney4playz

News Credits:
    the head does seem to be inspired by him, i really hope we get a skold and nyx figure in the near future

• Like Like x 2
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean, it absolutely does, especially with yellow. I look back to every Bumblebee toy that's ever been released for proof of that.

That's a pretty bold statement considering your own obviously, heavily slanted bias in your "pros and cons." You're already setting arbitrary goalposts specifically so the Kingdom one doesn't measure up, rather than fairly judging its merits and detriments against the T30. (especially with things like the wings being purple, but T30's wings and robot mode eyes being milky white isn't a problem? Or the legs having the wrong number of yellow segments, which T30 also got wrong in addition to looking entirely different)

T30 Waspy is great, but he's not perfect, and this toy is clearly doing things he was not. The beast mode is far and away superior, actually looking like a wasp and not a generic robot be. The sculpt on the head and thorax are especially wonderful and realistic, and the wings are actual wings you can pose in flight rather than T30's perpetually folded/straight up pair. I have T30 Waspinator and have no incentive to be anything but biased towards it. I don't "need" another Waspinator, and Kingdom Waspinator is admittedly more of a side-grade, doing some things better and worse, but I'm not going to make up reasons to hate it.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    You've actually tried to make the argument that it's at least close to irrecognizable

He has ears, it's not a wholly different head design. The original toy had ears, Dawn of Futures Past had ears and IDW has ears. Again, I'm not arguing the level of accuracy, I'm arguing that people call the BW figures in Kingdom show accurate when they aren't. As a whole, Rhinox is no less accurate than any other figure in Kingdom. If you haven't picked up on that stance I suggest you reread my posts for better context. Others have tried to argue that it's irrecognizable, hence my replies. One poster even went as far as to say that 2 wax figures of myself in a museum, one with my head (T30 in this example) and the other with Richard Nixon's head (Kingdom allegedly). That is someone arguing that Kingdom looks nothing like Rhinox. I'm not the one who has moved goalposts.

• Like Like x 2
  17. maloney4playz

News Credits:
    may i reiterate
    kingdom is beast wars cartoon-inspired, not beast wars cartoon accurate. learn the difference. just like earthrise and siege are G1 cartoon-inspired, not G1 cartoon accurate. if you want cartoon accuracy, go for the masterpieces

• Like Like x 9
  18. Fenrys

News Credits:
    This exactly

• Like Like x 8
  19. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    C44B92E7-02F7-4361-AE6A-19BB572212AF.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  20. The Roman Empire1977

The Roman Empire1977 Treason of the highest order

YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh no I ruined the thread and my reputation
    Just rewatched beast wars for the first time in a bit, yeah it's just the head sorry. My mistake. I guess I meant the "scream" transformation as well

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2