Kingdom Hearts: Disney+ Series rumored to be in development

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Chopperface, May 26, 2020.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Kingdom Hearts TV Show Reportedly Headed for Disney+

Source is DisInsider, who has proven reliable in the past with other nuggets of news about other properties. One, he reported that Be Prepared would be in the new Lion King months before it was confirmed. Sooo I’d say the idea is definitely being kicked around strongly at the least if he’s reporting it.

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Kingdom Hearts never appealed to me, but I hope this is done right for the fans of the games. It’s a good move going with CG animation over live action. It’s already jarring to see characters like Sephiroth and Goofy in the same game, and live action would just make that even weirder. Animation also gives them far more flexibility to get actors from the original properties back to voice their characters. I know they got replacements for some characters in the games, but I could maybe see them pulling in bigger talent for a series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Guessing" that a musical number from the original film would be reprised doesn't exactly strike me as impressive prognostication.

4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Kingdom Hearts never caught my interest either, too many games, like Final Fantasy in general...

But, maybe this would help.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Kingdom Hearts is worse, because all the games contribute to the same continuity.

Final Fantasy entries, for the most part, are stand-alone. You might miss easter egg nods to prior entries if you jump in the middle, but nothing important or plot relevant.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I know that, but there’s just SO MUCH.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    For Final Fantasy, you can just pick whichever one appeals to you most, either stylistically, or gameplay-wise, and go from there. For Kingdom Hearts, you have no real choice but to start on the ground floor and work through it all (it's debatable how important the non-numbered entries into the franchise are, but they're not complete throw-aways, either).

Of course, to make things more convoluted, there are the Final Fantasy references within Kingdom Hearts... which I'm not sure the Disney+ series will even touch on.

• Like Like x 5
  8. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a person who played the main three games and nothing else, I'd be interested to see if this is supposed to fit in with the continuity of the games or if it's going to be it's own thing.

However, I'm very skeptical if this would work as a show. I feel like the nature of the story in the video game lends itself very well to the format. Exploring different worlds of Disney characters we know and advancing the main plot after you complete a world. I get with an episodic format you have at least an episode on each world, but I feel like people are going to want to see more of the Disney characters that just won't get the proper development they need. I just hope they don't try to cram the entire movie of each respective world into a twenty minute episode like the games do though. It was an awful creative choice when the games do it and I would feel the same about the show.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I could see potential in it, moreso if it doesn't try to rehash the story of the games, but just kinda goes off and does its own things within the context of the sitting. Visiting nostalgic Disney worlds for a new adventure each episode sounds pretty fun in and of itself, without any of the franchise's convoluted destiny-mangling wackiness.

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Talk about an unexpected surprise. :)  As for what would it be about I think it's more likely that they'll have the series just take place in any time of the KH universe but done as it's own story so that way for those who don't play the games won't have to play them to understand what the show's about.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    To be honest I can’t wait for the “I played the main numbered titles so I should be fine” bitching to transition into “I watched the series so I should be fine” bitching.

He didn’t guess, he reported that it would be in the film. Choose your poison.

12. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's why I put quotes around "guessing". Proclaiming what is certainly an inevitability doesn't give a person "Hollywood insider cred". That's like if you were to believe I were an insider because I proclaimed "Massive Hollywood leak! The next Transformers movie will have a robot named Optimus Prime in it!".

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Just saw it confirmed to be an animation~

tumblr_1ed799d374eddc3c298e625aff088a71_39c22086_1280.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's based on the first game it would fairly easy to write: just have Sora says the words heart, friends and Kairi in every scene. And have the villians say darkness in every scene.

Also I would like to point out that I never beat Birth by Sleep. The whole world was doomed because Huey, Dewey and Louie didn't get enough ice cream.