Kingdom Grimlock and Mirage Reveal

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lazerwave, May 11, 2021.

1. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Assorted thoughts:

1- If it hasn't happened already (I'm on page 4 atm), I feel like someone needs to photoshop a side by side of Siege and Kingdom Mirage. I definitely see differences, but I think seeing them together would make it more apparent, especially for the numerous comments I've seen saying they don't see a difference.
    edit: Naturally, such a thing occurs just down the page. Timing!

2- I really like the Grimlock head but ... it kinda doesn't look like it fits the body, aesthetically that is. Almost a variation of uncanny valley or something I guess.

3- I know it's outside the bounds of a 2 pack like this (especially when the retool money mostly went to Mirage), but it would have been cool if Grimlock had been retooled to have a feather texture instead of the scale texture. At least on the main body in dino mode, not the limbs and head. Oh well, it's not a major loss.

4- It is however a shame that the faux dino head doesn't have painted green eyes like on the box art. The only real negative for the figure that I can see. Giving the sword a painted blade would have been nice too, but not a real loss like the eyes.

Anyways, got my pre-order in. I think I'm looking forward to Grimlock more than Mirage.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

That's a fair gripe to have. But yeah, like I said earlier, I hope this works out for you.

3. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

I will totally sell anyone the Grimlock.
    PM me if that’s all ya want.

4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Look, I said it was possible (not probable, not absolutely), no need to keep beating a dead horse. Neither of us actually knows

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lupine Maximus

Lupine Maximus Decepticon Powermaster

I might be the minority here, but I just want that Grimlock. Go ahead and ready your Lazer rifles and fusion canons, I\'m ready.

• Like Like x 1
  6. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    That grimlock head is a work of art.

7. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grimlock - I wasn't a fan of the original BW Grimlock mainly because I was pretty disappointed he wasn't a T-Rex . This version, though, I really like, especially the headsculpt but I'll be repurposing him as a different character called 'Grim'. And I wouldn't mind a few more raptors joining the pack.

Mirage - I opted to get to Netflix 'Decepticon' Mirage instead of the regular Siege one, because I figured that the latter would look pretty similar to the Earthrise Earth version I'd assumed we'd end up getting.

So this is what my Mirages will look like next to each other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, getting the Earth one's a no-brainer for me.

I have to say, I wouldn't mind getting a transparent plastic version (and something similar to represent Ghost Starascream) despite potential issues as well.

8. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, we'll know the fact of the matter at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  10. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Looking at how the shoulds transform, I'm not sure how they could put a 5mm port there without compromising the transformation. You can tell the assembly is meant to rotate on the top white panel and then pivot downward on the pin. Unless that whole thing wraps around an elevated 5mm port I'm not sure it would be strong enough to hold the joint without the arm popping off. It's more likely there's a large pin in there.

upload_2021-5-11_15-17-8.png

• Like Like x 4
  11. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The changes are substantial, but the similarities in many of the places just don't make it feel as substantial. He objectively got a ton of remolding, but the overall shape and feel of the figure are still basically the same. The biggest different honestly feels like the Spoiler and the lack of a canopy (and the lack of translucent plastic), even though way more than that got remolded.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I'm really still on the fence about these.

I have my Siege Mirage next to me, and I'm looking at the pictures, and there's nice changes, and bad changes. I love that the spoiler is sitting further back, and the open canopy. I already like the space Formula car mold though, and this new earth remold is sort of half-assed. Lots of unpainted white plastic in the front of the car mode.

I have no knowledge of Beast Wars Grimlock, but that headsclupt is superb! The Dinobot mold is cool, but what's with the unpainted fake head and white upper arms? He's like me after being in the sun with a tshirt too long. Paint apps on the robot chest and arms would make this figure look actually finished. again, my excitement and disappointment is even.

Rough choice. I'll keep my preorder for now and wait for videos.

13. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Miretsbs

Miretsbs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Preordered the set if anyone wants to split the set I'm willing to sell grimlock just pm me.

15. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

That's the way I feel about him. There's obviously a lot of changes and new parts, but overall, it looks so similar. I think I'm just going to stick with my Siege copy.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Matt Overholser

Matt Overholser Well-Known Member

Is that a new head on Grimlock?

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yes. Resembling the original toy head.

18. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

New as in it's not Dinobot's head, but the original toy's head.

• Like Like x 1
  19. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Okay so I can see the legs are retooled but follow the same transformation. As are the arms. But they appear to have modified the shoulders/chest and changed how the transformation works to extend the rear of the alt mode and give it more length like an F1 care than the Siege alt.

For people wanting bot accuracy, Siege will probably work fine enough. But the changes to the chest/shoulders to extend the alt mode make it look much less stumpy than the Siege version.

Thankfully I don't have any version of this mold, so either would work. This one lacking any transparent parts is a nice bonus.

20. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    Sweet. I like the Dinobot mold so this’ll be rad

In-canon though, my brain can’t accept the idea of Maximals being an “upgrade” to the Autobots. G1 Grimlock’s design is far superior, but this is okay as a new character or an alternate universe Grimlock