KFCToys E.A.V.I. Metal Phase 11A Stratotanker (Octane)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Arguably, Broadside too

• Like Like x 4
  2. Grendel163

Grendel163 Galactic Transcender

I forgot about him. transformers_g1_broadside_by_godzillaboi193_de4fci7-fullview.png

• Like Like x 4
  3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

I have the Fansproject Assaulter from another time but was never lucky enough to get someone to convert the Carrier model kit for to fake a flat top shield when in robot form. I also have UT Sworder. XTB's iBot hinted at doing Broadside in chat one time but also Rodimus Prime and Overlord, which I am more inclined to believe the latter. I think Sandstorm is incredibly difficult because I could see bot and car mode finding a toon match but the honus would be on getting the copter mode right and I think it would be incredibly difficult to turn that all into a dune buggy. Sworder for its failings got two very good modes and then a weiner mobile compromise. Likewise, Assault (with prehistoric engineering and hardware) got a bot mode a servicable jet and then something no one understands but could have a flat top added to it. I actually think that design makes more sense for the figure than trying to force a carrier and jet together.

I am assuming that FT left these alone (Octane, Broadside, and Sandstorm) first because of lack of popularity and definitely because of difficulty. Maybe they revisit that at some point. XTB might be the best option for design but I would greatly wonder about the engineering. I think either XTB or FT needs to do the Autobot and Decepticon Targetmasters and I imagine the longer MT doesn't finish the Autobot Headmasters that FT will just do the new set to match with their Cerebros.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    He needs to be as large as Omega Supreme (or bigger) i want a big Carrier and a big Spaceship

• Like Like x 1
  5. Enfin

Enfin Destron

I hope they will re-re-release this figure with G1-toy colours and silver faces. It still looks very good. Apart from the hip skirts/side skirts. Nice foot/toe articulation and expressive hands.

6. Manuel Taker

Manuel Taker Well-Known Member

Hi maybe this is a silly question but is there anything in the box that indicates this is the metallic version? Paint details seem like the first run

7. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
  8. Tarou Yagami

Tarou Yagami Member

Easiest to check: reissue will have painted colours on the shield rather'n bare plastic; and will have 4 (IIRC) white faces instead of two silver ones.

9. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

I always thought a Doublevil scaled Broadside would be a good size. He doesn't have to be an aircraft carrier, just something big and boaty would do. Pity it'll never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

I think the best idea for Broadside is the one that was suggested on here awhile back by another user. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Gives you both robot modes and both alt modes at the most accurate scale possible, and gives us a cool "super mode" transformation scheme which would have made more sense for the character in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Well-Known Member

That's... a really cool concept. Given how good their Overlord/God Ginrai figures are, I bet Fans Hobby would be perfect for that job.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Good call. I think people would also be more forgiving of them deviating from the triple changer design, since they are known for taking greater liberties compared to other MP designers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

Huh. That actually would work amazing as I always had a serious soft spot for his original red faced design. This way you'd solve the scaling and the original and new designs would work flawlessly. Sure people will moan but people moan over shades of green for a Springer design so it wouldn't really matter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, but I'd prefer the other way round, because the one you chose to be the larger bot looks like a jetbot, and the other one looks more like a carrierbot.

15. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty brilliant!

16. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Well it's based on which one was smaller and which one was bigger in the cartoon, as shown in the picture.

Also I think the smaller robot design is indistinct enough that it can pass for being the jet (plus it does have tailfin kibble on his feet), while the larger one would be a combination of the jet and carrier so it'd make sense for it to have kibble from the jet.

Also the bigger one is cooler looking, and if you want to sell people a giant TF you're gonna want to use the cooler robot mode design.

• Like Like x 1
  17. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just the first thing I thought, cause I didn't remember who was smaller and bigger in the cartoon, I watched season 3 lots of years ago and it was terrible lol

Anyway, one still looks like a jet and the other like a carrier to me, and from a non mass changing engineering point of view, I'd use the wings of the jet to simulate the tailfin kibble on his feet (still not in scale, but otherwise one would be tiny).

I admit, however, that the jetbot is the coolest of the two (by miles) and the choice based on sizes in the cartoon has sense. It's just that every time I watched at them if that toy happened I'd think, damn guys, you should be the othe way :p  (I like some real kibble in my bots so you can guess what they turn into).