Kenji Saito Discusses The Birth Of Transformers: Devastation

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Sa173533

Sa173533 Well-Known Member

Well, have you ever played a game made by Platinum Games before? Like Metal Gear Rising: Revengence? Or fighting games like the Street Fighter series? Fighting games basically dumb down to you mashing buttons in order to perform combos and special moves.

I respect your opinion as a whole, but it could fall flat on its metaphorical face if you ever played Metal Gear Rising and/or fighting games as a whole and enjoyed them, despite you not liking button mashers.

2. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Sometimes button mashers are just great relief.

I haven't played Devastation myself yet, but I've played Rising. Loved it. I've also played Remember Me. Both games are essentially, button mashers. But, the game rewards players who take the time to learn combos, or focus on the QTE.

Both games are just plain fun when you're in the mood for something like that. Being a "filler" doesn't really apply when it is its own thing.

3. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically yes. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you're being hyperbolic.

Unless you can site a large number of the population of Earth (ie: "most people") as saying "A cheap button mashing filler"

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can Devestation be a lazy button masher? Yeah, and that's actually what some who enjoy those want. Not everyone wants a technical combo-fighter.

The beauty of Platinum games is that they give you this easy level AND deliver depth for those who do want that deep combo based game.

Finally, don't forget this was a budget title so it's expected to be shorter and a little less fleshed out. All that in mind and I'm really happy with this game.

5. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gawd I hope this game sells well enough to get a sequel. You can see where they had to cut corners for costs reasons. Sequels always get bigger budgets

6. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hope it does too, right now its hard to justify buying a PS4 for one game

7. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why a PS4? It's available on 4 different systems

8. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did you see my post above ? if not Ill write it again, the last system I bought was a PS2.

And its not on the PS2

So If I am going to buy a new gaming system its going to be PS4

9. SuperMegaAutobot

SuperMegaAutobot Well-Known Member

Nothing "cheap" about this game. Clearly an opinion by someone who never got off Warrior mode to see how the game play changes. Good luck mashing buttons on Magnus level.

10. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    No, but Bloodborne easily justifies buying a PS4 so this game is just cake.

11. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bloodborne ? I have no idea what the heck that is LOL let alone any interest in buying it .

12. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:

You're reaching and you know it....People speak with their wallets in regards to games. But if the Activision is content with that 220K sold WW for this game vs the 1.5M units sold by WFC and if most people wouldn't have preferred a WFC/FOC sequel instead of this, then yeah pass the word that YP is spreading hyperbole!

13. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    That game was frustrating as h3ll. If you do get a PS4 buy a used copy.

14. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of what you just said in anyway proves your claim that most people said it was a cheap button mashing filler.

15. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    Does changing the difficulty add new environments? New characters? Change fight strategy? No to all of them. It's repetitive in every sense. Boring for me. A rip off at full price and even half price in my opinion. Does it look and sound like G1 at a glance? Yes, if you squint. Is there something to work with? Again, yes. However, there's no excuse for what this game is, this far into the history of gaming. It's a massive cop out and indeed lazy to reuse so much. Cheap though, I don't think so. The production values are there in small measure. The game is sorely lacking in variety. Another thing to note, many of the unlockables are DW art. Art from a company who hasn't held the license in over a decade. I don't get that. Is it public domain or something? Would that make it cheaper to use? I don't know. I would never suggest this as a game to buy to any fan. Rent it. Make your own assessment. As a big G1 fan, it stinks to have to say that about this game.

16. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm having a lot of fun playing this game so I disagree with most of your assessment but you're right about the art gallery being a disappointment. Comprising it mostly of Dreamwave's marshmallow Transformers was a stupid decision. It's a terrible style even in it's own time, drawn by a generally terrible person. Add to that the fact that every one of those pictures has been available online for years so it's nothing special

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Haha, ok. That game and the Souls series is the best thing to happen in gaming in a LONG time. And I hate "hard" games.

Bloodborne was worth every penny I spent at release and I almost never pay Day 1 prices.

Not all of us want to play CoD over and over just with skins.