Keep G1 or CHUG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by King Henrik, Dec 16, 2011.

1. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm 30 years old, and i'm getting to the point where i need to tone down the tf purchases and have considered slimming down my collection (a little under 1k total) for financial and spacial concerns. I had originally considered off loading everything but g1, chug and possibly animated. But the more i think about it g1 and chug make up at least half the total collection combined, so i think one will have to go. I would like to still continue the hobby, in a limited capacity, because i do really enjoy it but i just can't be spending so much for things i have no where to put. What would you choose?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    How about keep and get rid of half and half?

3. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In before people start whining about "chug"

Personally I would box up my G1 stuff, sell Animated and leave CHUG on shelves.
    but it's all up to you and your personal taste and connection to the toys :thumbs2: 

I recently boxed up 90% of my star wars stuff and all of Animated to make room for 3rd party releases and future generations toys.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Storage boxes ?

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Keep the CHUG figures and get rid of the generation 1 figures starting first with those who have a CHUG update.

6. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I have a bunch of Classics styles and a complete G1 collection. If I had to get rid of one of those collections, it would be Classics. The main reason behind it is that G1 Transformers will never be replaced. But the Classics style will probably get updated and updated and updated, either officially or by 3rd parties. So instead of trying to keep up with updates, I'd just hang low with a stable G1 collection.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in your spot last year, I had just turned 28 and I didn't want to have a ton of toys everywhere.

So I sold my G1's and kept the Classics.

A year later... I regret the move. My G1's had so much personality and reminded of the good old days.

Although Classics figures do look amazing and I'm happy with all of them; in hindsight, they just don't make me feel the say way.

Classics feel like toys........ G1's feel like a piece of history:2c: 

8. King Henrik

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    well my purpose is to pick one and stick to it, i intend to keep buying stuff whether its on stores for new figures or on ebay for g1, if i ditched half and half i'd probably end up rebuying what i sold eventually lol

i didnt realize there was such a stigma for CHUG, what is the most board-friendly way of describing the newer g1 inspired figures?

Also boxing up the stuff isn't really an option, i have no room to put them anywhere and i don't want to pay for storage for something long term.

i guess what i'm saying is if you absolutely had to choose between the originals and their updated brethren, which would you stick with?

9. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get rid of the ones that dont mean anything to u and keep the ones u really love.

10. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Being 30+ id go with keeping the G1 stuff. I have both but push come to shove G1 means more and is where it started for me. Another prime will always come along but there is only one G1 reissue!

11. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    My g1 collection would be the last to go. I love classics, but its the originals they are modeled after that will always be close to my heart.

12. King Henrik

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    this is the kinda thing i'm worried about, but i still get "excited" about the new releases, whether they're official or 3rd party, and i'll miss that too.

thanks for all the input guys

13. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Keep Chug, put G1 on the back burner and get rid of the animated stuff.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    OP, Hyperoptic makes a very good point. However, there's something I don't get about your original post.

Are you more worried about spending so much or the part about having no place to put? or both? G1 obviously represents a more expensive budget when it comes to collecting, and there's just so much of it. Classics will never approach G1 in terms of the number of figures or even the prices when it comes to key pieces, so technically they'd be easier to maintain. They also beat G1 in terms of articulation, and in some cases, design. However if your priority is maintaining a good piece of history, and are just collecting specific pieces, with limited regard to pricing, then maybe G1 should be the one for you. You don't have to worry about new releases and easier to take your time putting together your collection.

15. periL75

periL75 Soft Fleshy Bi-Ped

Ebay:
    ^
    |
    This.

I sold a large chunk of my G1 collection a couple years back and regret it every day.
    Although I do love my Classics too:confused: 
    I'd keep G1 for sure though.

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Based on this post I would say keep g1 (possibly boxed and stored) and the classics on the shelf. That way you have the good feeling of the old, the enjoyment of new releases. Sell animated since they are "new" but you won't have the excitement of "new releases".

17. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i sold almost my entire g1 collection three years ago, huge regret, and trying to buy them back now,

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Generation One is what I started with, and if need be, what I end with.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep the G1, you may regret not doing so later as they become harder to get both price and availability wise.

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    +1