KAT - 02 Chief Fire

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DEED, Jul 28, 2017.

1. DEED

DEED DEED TFW2005 Supporter

PS - I'll explain more about the toys later. There HAVE to be toys. And they HAD to be TFs. Math says so and stuff.

Me, just me, and not any of my subcontractors, are now 100% on the hook for the indiegogo sets. It'll take me a hot minute, but we'll get there.

But the real good toy stuff comes in Phase 3, and this unholy mess we're wading in RIGHT NOW is how we get there.

So glad to talk and be able toshoot straight, and tell you all how much I love this damn community now.

If HasLab can't fund Unicron (I hope they do, I want one!) we'll just do it ourselves. I think I've PROVEN (which was the point of Phase 1.....unfortunately a lot of others who weren't helping me on purpose have also proven the point :(  ) that the kickstarter model is too fucking messy to work. Which is why we're going to do it different.

Roll with me guys. Phase 2 (Current) isn't going to make much sense at first, but it's how we get to Phase 3 where we control the toy factories directly. (I should probably let D/L name the company, he's earned that much!)

Quick recap of what went wrong with Phase 1 (The crowd-funding campaigns)

1. KAT01 Strika/Impactor were the idea D/L pitched to me. I had the factory connections to get the prototypes made (burned hat bridge a little, but it's fine it was like the only good mold they had), community support seemed strong, and I thought the design D/L and his partners came up with was solid. But it made none of the money. We intentionally used a "fully backed or we get nothing" model for that campaign so that if it imploded the community wouldn't get screwed. It did implode, the community didn't get screwed, no pain, just regret. Except my inbox, I still get angry emails because we never placed that KAT 01 order.

2. We futzed around with the idea of a bespoke-KO for a while longer before running out of molds. Eventually, the high quality WJ stuff popped up and D/L and his team pitched to me the Fire Convoy idea. I thought it was solid, but since we'd already proven out that fans weren't going to back a ko-based crowdfund, I proposed we change up the model some. If we got the factory-toys nailed down, the campaign could just be marketing and we could sell add-ons for extra margin. This was much better received, and we got a few serious backers.

BUUUT I had a lot of trouble with WJ. And this is on me. D/L and Team pitched a very nicely colored concept image which respected mold-breaks and wouldn't have needed much more paint than the original had. But they balked and balked, and eventually agreed to a much more washed out version, which would require waaaaay more manual finish work to make look like anything. They basically forced us to color match to their then in-production MP Prime. and we ended up with the shitty grey legs. I should have pushed back harder on that. And they kept playing games with the numbers with us and 10K turned into borderline-extortion for another 5K, and because I was gambling with someone else's seed-money (D/L's) I didn't push hard enough and gave in too easy. That's my only regret.

But we had toys, so we thought we could move forward. D/L and team were game to do the work, I promised them tools and resources and extra hands out of the Indiegogo money. But the campaign barely made enough to cover the basics, and they were swamped with more work than basically 2 or 3 people could do while still living full time lives and jobs and families and stuff. I should have pumped the breaks, but I didn't. And they said they were good, so I barrelled onward, as the business-guy I should have known better.

But I knew I had Phase 2 in the wings, so I let them twist for a while, then I took full control for a few months, then I let this thread and all other points of contact go dark for a bit. I figured (self-denial-and-justification) that the added tension would eventually make for a more emotionally charged reveal. And it did. But it went too far. And that was a bad move on my part.

So that's the phase 1 recap. I'm going to work with D/L to get the needed assets to finish off the indiegogo jobs ASAP. May not be exactly how D/L and company had envisioned them, but I'm going to get you some quality final products. D/L set me up good to deliver on that now that I can focus here.

It's going to get a little UnderPantsGnome'y for a minute, but my next post will describe Phase III. The good phase we're all pulling towards.

Love you all
    DEED

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I'm glad you're able to talk to us about it, and for what it's worth I'm still totally stoked on this project simply because of my love for Fire Convoy. I couldn't imagine what it's like trying to pull something like this together, just reading that post gives me anxiety without even being part of the toy industry as it were.

Can't wait to learn about whatever this mysterious Phase 3 is, and I'm stoked to see my Chief Fire come home one day!

3. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Hey, shit happens especially when working with outside factors (like convincing someone to do a custom run for you). I didn't have any doubts about this, this stuff takes time and allowances for things to go off the rails at points.

Hell, I still need to find a Fire Chief. lol I haven't been in a good position to get one lately due to unforeseen medical issues so, yeah, I get it that shit happens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ttocs415

ttocs415 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    glad we are back in the game! super excited to see what follows!
    just PLEASE keep us informed!!

5. DEED

DEED DEED TFW2005 Supporter

OMG, youuuuuu guuuyyyyyys. The folks in this thread have always been the creme de la creme of TFW. The true persons of optimism and good sense. Speaking of, can someone please go find Digger and let him now it's all good now. He's a good and gnetle soul, and I'm worried about him.

OK, as (came out in ways I wasn't exactly proud of...even if not sort of to plan...sorry) has come out D/L has been unveiled as my Kit-Guy and Angel-Investor. He's always had good ideas over at Stagwolf and I wanted to help him get a bigger platform. And totally f***** it up. I'm not the first one that screwed that kind of plan up for him either. But Phases II and III are going to fix that.

I'm going to start a new thread for Koncept Art Phase III so we can keep the practical Fire-Convoy Toy stuff separate, so keep posting about stuff here. BUT, big ol' announcement that is basically the cap bridger between Phase I (KAT01 and KAT02) and Phase II (DEEDXX/KAC## tba).

Sincere thanks to all our backers and buyers of Chief Fire, "Our new Hero" so far. You guys are the best. The Indiegogo Backers are going to get their stuff without lifting another finger or spending another penny. They'll get their rewards and then some, in exchange for just a *little* more good-faith patience. Our early purchasers of Fire Chiefs through Sirtoys or the KOncept Ebay will also have "free passes" to Phase II and III upon request, with proof of purchase.

But for everyone else who hasn't gotten around to picking one up yet (Hi!!
    - talking to you!!!)

Here's the new deal. Chief Fire (and KAT01 Before Him) was always conceived of as a PLATFORM more than a final product. He could be Fire Convoy, Fire Chief, Pyro, or what-ever the heck else you want him to be. He was supposed to be like the transforming robot version of a "Blank Dunny" Take the generic base and make it your own.

And to that end. All loose Units will be sold for one penny plus shipping on SirToys and Ebay.

Paul's already got the Sirtoys One set up!
    KAT-02 Chief Fire - Standard - Combiner - SirToys.com

Ebay Link (Ebay won't let me list it for less than .99):
    !!!!.01!!! KAT 02 Koncept Art Chief Fire Die Cast Transforming Robot Toy (loose) | eBay

So troop build, customize, whatever you want, they're LITERALLY all yours.

One caveat, we're holding back just a few cases of boxed-units for nostalgia sake and collector value. A limited quantity of the boxed units will remain on ebay and Sirtoys at the current pricing until they're gone.

And finally, details to follow, but because D/L has gotten f****d over by dreamers and big ideas too many times (including my own), I'm working out a deal with him, by which he'll make all the Fire Convoy and Pyro (and anything else he comes up with) available for home-printing or via Shapeways, all proceeds going to paying back what I owe the dude. (And I kind of owe him everything)

So that's it for now. Backers, stay tuned, I'm going to bust hump for you.

Everybody else, go get you some free toys.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, OK, I didn't see the free toys thing coming. Feels like you're giving the farm away...which makes me super nauseous...but I trust you dude. I was tired of the cloak and dagger stuff too. Fire Convoy is some of my best engineering/design work, and I'm proud of it.

Anyway, yeah, I am in a bind currently, I'm not going to say the "B" word, I think that may have gotten KOA (Should we call you DEED???) into trouble before. But, while I am seriously financially strapped, I have food in my belly, a roof over my head, and a wife who is now managing what's left of my finances. So while I'm selling most of my toys, I'm not exactly a charity case. So, DEED, bro, we're good.

There are details to work out, but yeah, the Koncept stuff will be made public somehow somewhere.

I just wanted to make sure to chime in and show that he's being on the level, and that I'm (mostly) OK. (And basically totally cool with KAT and DEED)

Carry On
    D/L

• Like Like x 2
  7. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm grabbing one later today.

8. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Bought one via Ebay. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    2 via sirtoys, that makes 3. :D 

10. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    @KOnceptArt / @destrongerlupus

BTW, some of us might not have supported the project financially, but we did spread the word regarding the project. We did wish and hope for success.

• Like Like x 3
  11. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Yeah, if the set was made, I would have bought it outright.

I don't gofundme anything... I guess it's like the feeling of playing the lottery, and I never win. :lol 

But being a backer on a solid project I approve of that WILL come to fruition? I'd be down. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  12. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Thanks guys, I can't speak for KOA but I'm sure tge support, even non-financial, was appreciated, I certainly did take heart from it.

No idea what all these phases are about, but I'm kinda glad to know we won't be doing any more campaigns. I almost feel bad for Hasbro that Uni isn't doing better. Not too bad, I'm sure it'll come out in some capacity, which is their advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm buying 2 on Monday

14. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Hey @destrongerlupus, I still remember vividly our first meeting at Sharkticon... Remember, I told you about those modular bases? :) 

15. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    That whole con has become a fuzzy blur of awesome people and putting faces snd real names to avatar. That thing was a fever dream of awesome. What Cons should be. Any idea why they didn't go forward?

But, yeah, I do basically remember a modular base conversation from that whole haze!

16. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Likely due to financial reasons, but Sharkticon became part of TFCon.

17. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    FROM DEED/KONCEPT

Don't know what he's up to, but I get to play messenger boy again. He seemed to tnink that y'all needed this ASAP, and I guess can't post for... Reasons?

Y'all are beginning to see what I've been navigating for the past 5 years :lol 

"Hi gang,

Got most of the Phase III details drafted. Have to figure out how to boil it down and spread the word. Will need your help with that. D/L and I both seem to suck at social.

But the most important thing we need to nail down right now is a catchier name than my half wit half literate brain could come up with.

So crowd sourcing it.

If YOU were starting a toy company that made robit stuff, what would you call it? We need something community-driven. My best guesses currently are "1st Party Toys" or "Change Masters"... But I want your ideas, something that says we are making cool toys and we're breaking the business model to our advantage.

Go. Bring your friends in to help to. I want to launch Phase III's thread with a good name on the masthead.

See you in the thread, love you all.
    DEED
    (D/L could you copy paste this onto TFDubs? Can't log in right now)"

18. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Ohhhj good to know, TFCon seems to be doing it right. Haven't been to one in a few years, but they look like they put on a great show.

19. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Y'all I am so impressed with the way you're handling this. I gotta say, I committed to the Fire Convoy package because of how much I love Car Robots, but I was sorta curious about Chief Fire because of his place in the Japanese pantheon. If there's still a few during the week, I may double dip.

• Like Like x 2
  20. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Ehh, I knew I was taking a risk. Getting order fulfillment off my plate is a load off. And I like the idea of going full Dunny.

"DEED" {I guess}, was always a mysterious weirdo. I guess in retrospect the performance art thing makes sense.

I know the dude loves toys for real though, so he's not screwing with us about that...and if we can make the "Kidbash" dream an actual reality under his guidance, that will have made it all worth while.

Who knows, maybe DEED is Bao/YR... But I doubt it, they have very different styles.

I'm as curious as you guys.

• Like Like x 2