Justifications to replace a figure/character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WFCSiegeOptimusPrime, Nov 5, 2019.

1. WFCSiegeOptimusPrime

WFCSiegeOptimusPrime Active Member

How do you usually justify replacing the same character, or figure?

For same figures, what kind of damage dealt by playing overtime is enough to justify replacing it with the same, but new figure? Or do you keep it and deal with it?

For characters, how often do you replace it with a new design? For example, what makes you replace your favorite classic Prime with Siege Prime? (And now as someone who has Siege Prime, I am wondering whether if I should replace it with Earthrises one in the near future or wait until they make another better one for part 3) What requirements do you need to enough justify replacing it with a new one?

2. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Say Hi To Your Mom For Me

I ran (Before Banning) a Amino Comic, So I Merely Did Some Line Paneling And Metallic Sharpies To Keep Them The Same But Different. As For Damage, I Would Swap It Out (Normal) Or Put It A Jar And Melt It (Street Vendor,Cheap).:wtf: . I know.

• Like Like x 2
  3. King Glurch

King Glurch It’s Christmas again, Starscream!

YouTube:
    Essentially just if the new one is better.

• Like Like x 7
  4. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

I generally have two criteria -
    1) Looks more like the cartoon - thats my collecting criteria - i didnt want to but Im replacing prime - the roof annoyed me too much and that was the deciding factor.
    2) Kind of ties in with the above but its different so something hasbro has repainted with a different head and is telling me is that character. E.g. GDO wheelie and Springer

5. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

I usually have an aesthetic in mind and try to find the best figure to meet that. For a lot of the figures, I liked the Pre-Unicron IDW aesthetic and look for that. Otherwise, I go with G1 cartoon accuracy/size scale. Many times I keep both.

For example Optimus Prime:
    The classics aesthetic didn't match any media I wanted for my display. I found the MP10V and that was my OP through most of Siege. Then SS-38 came out. To me, it was the best blend on the market for scale, IDW/Cartoon aesthetic. I still keep the other Primes, but SS-38 is the only one on my CHUG display.

6. wildfly

wildfly Formerly the next big thing.

News Credits:
    1) I want it.
    2) I can afford it.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -If it is an improvement
    Period.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WFCSiegeOptimusPrime

WFCSiegeOptimusPrime Active Member

Do you guys all think Earthrises Prime is an improvement enough to replace the Siege one which was bought just a little more than one year?

• Like Like x 2
  9. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Pinpoint Doodle User#3

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It depends on the character.

If it were Optimus Prime for example, it would not only have to be an improvement but it also needs to be awhile since I've bought the last version I got of him.

If it were an obscure character then it would just need to be an improvement.

10. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

1. Is there a new one?

2. Can I afford it?

3. Can I order it before it sells out?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With my Classics collection it takes a lot to replace an older figure, since I much prefer the old aesthetic and build quality.

Nowadays for both the above and my Movie collection, it usually comes down to scale.

12. Nickster563

Nickster563 More of a mystery nut than nightbeat

I’m not replacing siege Optimus with Earthrise, just spectating him into a cybertronian shelf along with the tetrajets while the earthrise figures go on the earth shelf

13. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    If they are better than the old one like keep searching for a cheap siege op to replace cw bc op he looks weird

• Like Like x 1
  14. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

If anything is broke on oen I get an extra and keep the broke piece on in play as a beater/ battle damaged version until it gets so broke it wont hodl together or stand up or represent the character any more... then it becomes Junkion junk planet scraps.

I usually have an Earth and a Cybertron/ galactic version of people and Siege played right into that, Prime/ Megatron are the earth Commanders and Rodimus / Galvatron are the galactic commanders but both teams have members of the other present. My Transformers rescan a new form when they travel to Earth. Cybertron, nebulos/ planet master so on.

So CW Prowl is Earth prowl, Siege prowl is Cybertron/ Galactic Prowl, Same with iron Hide, Mirage ( If I ever get Seige Mirage). A few rare people keep their eart or space mode wherever they go just because like TR Blitzwing. The siege leader Astrotrain looks like a dedicated Earth mode where as the Titans return Astrotrain is a space mode version who currently keeps that mode wherever he goes.

There is A whole saga I wont bore yall with for all the different optimus primes which gets even more complicated when you factor in that I keep a set fo "big" transformers to play with with GI Joes and superheroes and stuff ( 3.75 inch toys). But the short of it is I will get a leader of any main character and a Voyager of any main character. Deluxes can be fidged into whatever scale wise but adhere to the locations commands described above.

I also just straight up buy doubles of stuff I like while its available so I can dedicate one to the floor and just play with it however we wish with the kids... if its a great version of a character you know your gonna want it available no matter what. Extras like that will sometimes crossover to the other realm if was are making a huge universe wide war and want to just use everything we have Titans Return Blurr was a good toy, I bought 2, so his Erath mode is just always the same as him space mode.

15. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

Replace? only one reason, it's broken or lost. Some that I really like, or just found an extra in a dirt cheap sale/liquidation, I'll get an extra (or more if I really love the mold) in case mine does break. (and yup it's happened and boy, was I happy to have an extra)

Don't care about characters per say, I collect for the toy and design and it's not because a new and shiny one came out that I'd trow the old one away.

"Worse" scenario, in my cannon the character got an upgrade or is simply another character.

I don't have that many OP, but in the ones I have, I still consider my old Classics OP to be one of the most amazing version, as even if small as a deluxe, it's got amazing articulation and the transformation is ubber simple. The alt isn't the best, but still does the job very well. Even with the gimmick of the spinning top, it manages to be simply a great looking OP and was my favourite version for a very long time... I prefer the simplicity over the "perfect" alt mode. What I hate the most about OP figures, is always the lack of a trailer, and why I was happy to get POTP at the time... now, I'd probably sell him as he just doesn't fit with the rest of my collection and not a fan of this Orion Pax rendition.

For Earthrise, it's all about the trailer. I didn't care about the blue hands, but did about the yellow eyes that if are gone, it sucks. But still, I'm curious to see him. If Siege had a trailer I might have skipped the Earthrise.

16. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    Damaged beyond repair
    Lost
    Stolen
    Original figure has terrible qc issues
    Army building
    Horrible smell that refuses to go away
    Found a better representation
    Age related issues
    Seller's remorse
    Any reason you like

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  17. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I don’t really think of it in terms of “replacing”. I look at what new things it brings to the table—a unique design, an innovative transformation, articulation, paint apps, a good-looking sculpt, some type of gimmick, etc. I don’t mind having multiples of characters, I base my purchases more on what uniqueness a figure has.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't know if I would outright "replace" a figure, even if it broke unless I was really upset because it was a figure I really liked and could find a cheap copy on ebay. But for the most part considering that new versions will come out eventually I'd probably wait for the newest line and hope that the new take is better.

As far criteria for having multiples of the same character, first of all there would have to be a district difference between all of them and second it would have to appeal to my aesthetic tastes.

19. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

I have multiple version of the same character for me

if it's an obscure character it just needs to be good

If it's a mainstream character i need it to be very accurate if it's supposed to be say a G1 Bumblebee i want it to look like him

And ER Optimus looks 10 times better then the Siege version

20. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Masterforce Kreon

YouTube:
    Smell? o_O 

• Like Like x 1