Justice League - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by transfan681, Apr 27, 2014.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think part of the problem with online discussion is that most people who log on are already versed in the lores and characters.

We have to remember that while trying to include the fans the films are primarily designed for non fans, and people who don’t care about Marvel vs. DC.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people like myself would want a team up movie with Spider Man and Batman.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Yeah WB should just sell the DC rights to Disney and let an actual brand manager work with DC characters for a change.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is Thor really still considered a B list character though?

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I never thought so, but then again I’m no comic book guy either.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, probably. He was never really lighting the comic or movie franchises on fire. I'm not so sure if Ragnarok would have done as well without the inclusion of the Hulk.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd put Thor as an B+/A- character in recent years.

7. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That didn't look like the same actor for Superman at the beginning. Then, later, it did. What happened there?

8. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    CGI mustache removal.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Henry Cavill grew a moustache for another movie after JL, then they had to do reshoots, but he couldn't shave the 'stache so they CGI'd over it.

This movie was a farce.

10. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Truly unfortunate circumstance. It was either Justice League or Mission Impossible 6.

11. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know if the ones who’ve been bad-mouthing and hating-on this movie are stupid, ignorant, mean or all of the above, but this movie was…

AWESOME!!! :buttrock 

Plenty of wit & humor, a little bit of drama, and a whole lot of action!

Other than Wonder Woman, it’s exactly the movie that was needed to push the DCEU in the right path!

Characters:

- Henry Cavill was a better Superman here! Did anyone besides me notice that the blue on his suit was brighter than it was in Man of Steel and BvS? If so, it perfectly fits for the movie's light-hearted tone.

- Ben Affleck’s performance as Batman was much more improved than it was in BvS. I bit more wit, humor, and humanity. Hope the news about Jake Gyllenhaal replacing Affleck is total bullshit because that would be a grave mistake!

- Gal Gadot continues to shine brightly as Wonder Woman! Proving once again that her Wonder Woman is still the wise, powerful, fierce and woefully gorgeous warrior woman that has captivated the world since her first solo movie! Xena and Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl ain’t got nothing on her!

- Jason Momoa’s Aquaman is the best incarnation of the character. He’s a laid-back and charming rebel with a good heart, a smart-ass attitude, and fierce fighting skills! Doesn’t at all have a snotty and/or privileged attitude that one would expect from someone who comes from royalty.

- Ezra Miller’s Flash was perfection. Fun-loving and humorous without being annoying and/or obnoxious. Hate to admit it and this may be premature, but Ezra Miller is proving to be a better Flash than Grant Gustin.

- Ray Fisher’s Cyborg was a gloomy and brooding at first, but he perked himself up and embraced himself and his role as a true hero in the DCEU.
    Loved that he said “Booyah” after defeating Steppenwolf. A cute nod to his animated Teen Titans incarnation.

All in all, they are truly The Justice League! :thumbs2: 

Other Characters:

- The return of Amy Adam’s Lois Lane, Diane Lane’s Martha Kent, Connie Nielsen’s Queen Hippolyta, and Jeremy Iron’s Alfred Pennyworth plus the debuts of J.K. Simmons as GCPD Commissioner James Gordon, Amber Heard as Mera, Billy Crudup as Henry Allen, and Joe Morton as Silas Stone were a delight that added both continuity and expansion in the DCEU.

- Even though he only voiced Steppenwolf, Ciarán Hinds was brilliant in giving him a truly menacing one indicative of a true villain.

- Missed David Thewlis’ Ares in the flashback to the battle between Steppenwolf and his Parademon army and the combined army of Olympian Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, and ancient humans, but I did see Zeus (the one firing lightning bolts at Steppenwolf) and Artemis (the one firing glowing arrows).

Scenes and highlights:

- The montage of people and the entire world mourning Superman in the opening credits.

- Wonder Woman standing on top of the Lady Justice statue before fiercely defeating the terrorists and saving the hostages at the bank in London.

- The arrival of Steppenwolf at the temple holding the 1st Mother Box in Themyscira and the following battle.

- Hippolyta sending a message/warning to Diana by firing a flaming arrow from Themyscira all the way to Athens.

- Diana telling Bruce the story about Steppenwolf and his army of Parademons attempt to conquer and remake Earth through the combination of the 3 Mother Boxes, being foiled by a unified army of Olympian Gods, Amazons, Atlanteans, ancient humans, and a Green Lantern, and after repelling Steppenwolf and his Parademon army, each of the Mother Boxes are separated between the Amazon’s, Atlanteans, and ancient humans.

- The debut of a Green Lantern in that ancient battle.

- Commissioner Gordon summoning Batman via the Bat-Signal with Wonder Woman and The Flash following him, resulting in Gordon meeting Wonder Woman and The Flash for the first time along with meeting Cyborg for the first time when he drops in on the group.

- The first battle between Steppenwolf and the team below Gotham Harbor.

- Aquaman’s suit and trident.

- Barry speed-touring around the Batcave.

- Alfred’s role as the team’s “Overwatch”.

- The use of John William’s original Superman theme and Danny Elfman’s original Batman theme.

- Wonder Woman angrily punching Bruce in his stomach for unfairly name-dropping Steve Trevor.

- Superman’s resurrection and following battle between him and the team.

- Wonder Woman calling Superman “Kal-El”.

- Batman and Alfred enacting Lois Lane as the contingency plan to stop Superman’s post-resurrection rampage.

- Clark and Lois returning to the Kent family home where he reflects and recovers his memories and later on is reunited with his mother.

- The entire final battle between Steppenwolf plus his Parademon army and the entire League.

- The scene where Clark and Bruce oversee the repossession of the Kent farm.

- Each of the members going their separate ways until the next global threat.

- Gary Clark Jr’s rendition of Come Together by The Beatles. That, in my opinion should be the theme song for the entire DCEU.

- The mid-credits scene where Flash and Superman race to see who is the fastest and the post-credits scene where Lex Luthor has escaped from Arkham Asylum and recruits Slade Wilson (Deathstroke) to form a league (or legion) or their own.

Other:

- If only it was Harvey Bullock and not Crispus Allen who reported to Gordon about the kidnappings and strange alien sightings in Metropolis.

- Remember the scene in BvS where Bruce is snapped out of the vision of a dystopian future where Superman tyrannically rules by a time-traveling Flash and warns him that Lois Lane has a crucial role to an impending threat?

I believe that the scene where Batman and Alfred enacted Lois Lane as the contingency plan to stop Superman’s post-resurrection rampage fulfilled that warning.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Into the ground?

I kid, sorta. It's great you liked the movie, and I won't disparage that. But the numbers for this weekend aren't looking good at all, so it's pretty apparent, from a financial standpoint, that Warner Bros. needs to find a different direction to run in if they want to salvage this mess of a movie franchise. We'll see how it holds up in repeat weeks to test how "critic-proof" it is, especially in the international markets that could potentially save it.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    You know, I'm not entirely certain Superman knew that Steppenwolf was actually the villain.
    He shows up and practically one punches him, then leaves to save civilians. He comes back, again one punches him, then helps pull the motherboxes apart, then when he sees everyone struggling, freezes his axe leading it to being broken and the parademons jump on Steppenwolf and they boomtube out.
    For some reason the idea that post battle there'd be a moment when Superman asks them what was actually going on, he'd be shocked and say something like, "That was the big bad guy? Really? I thought he was a minor threat to be dealt with."

Which amuses me. As does the thought that MCU Thor probably could've solo'd the entire threat either pre or post Ragnarok.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Eeeeh, as much as I like Thor, the MCU version has never really demonstrated that kind of power. I mean, it took a guy who can lift a multistory building without breaking a sweat to take Steppenwolf down, and even then he got back up just as mad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    All Thor would have do would be drop Mjolner in Steppenwolf’s chest, the activate the Biifrost and sever his body in two, like he did with the space dragon. Threat eliminated, day saved, work smarter not harder, which MCU Thor is known to do.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    1. The final blast that drove off Steppenwolf was from Zeus. Thor post-Ragnarok is summoning all sorts of super potent lightning that would've incinerated the Parademons no problem.

2. Steppenwolf and the Parademons didn't do anything IMHO that makes him a larger threat than Surter and the Infernir. In fact, quite the opposite. I'll admit some bias, as I'm far more informed about Surter (both the mythological and the Marvel) then against the discount Sauron that JL presented (I know comic Steppenwolf but I don't think there's any crossover there to JL, YMMV).

3. There have been some math geeks who did the math on some of Thors feats, and in Thor 1, during the end of the big frost giant battle, that lightning slam that sent the ice rippling requires substantially more energy then released in a 50 Megaton Nuclear explosion. The conclusion after looking at the movies was that Mjolnir hits a lot harder then anything we've seen MoS Superman do, but baseline, MoS Superman does seem to hit harder and be far heartier then MCU Thor sans hammer (Before Ragnarok).

4. Thor did destroy Sokovia with one shot with an asterisk there.

But hey, I probably shouldn't have brought it up, I don't want to derail the thread, and if you disagree, I certainly won't fight you over it. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Different universes, different yeardsticks, agree to disagree.

At this point I just hope this universe is alloud to co tongue with everyone currently involved except Snyder (sorry Zach, but Whedon clearly understands these characters better than you do). Seeing the flash, Batman, and non-mopey superman on the big screen together was a real treat, and just left me wanting more, but this time with an actual good DC villain.

And with that after credits scene, it looks like that exactly what we’ll be getting in the future.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Math geeks: sucking all the fun out of entertainment since 1867

19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Fun is subjective.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

BC?