Just starting, what have I got myself into.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScourgeZF, May 6, 2009.

1. ScourgeZF

ScourgeZF Member

Ebay:
    Hello Everyone,

I am an avid 80's collector, have built an 80s Arcade in my Basement and collect pretty much anything from the 80s including 80s toys, Arcade Games, Boomboxes, you name it.

I would like to start collecting Gen 1 Transformers, I have been watching Ebay for quite some time and lurking here for about 6 months. It looks like there is much more to this than meets the eye....Sorry, couldn't resist :) 

I figured it was time to get involved in my next step of 80s madness which is Gen 1. I'm sure you can guess what my favorite Transformer is by the signature, if anyone has a new and sealed one please let me know as that's the first piece I'd like to get. I have a sealed Seaspray but that's all for Gen 1. I do have the recent Unicron as well. Have to start somewhere.

Just wanted to say great site, it looks like I'll be here for a while. I'm pretty excited about the new movie and couldn't be happier that TF are still in the mainstream. Here is my Game Room and Website if anyone is interested:

http://www.zfcamaro.com/ArcadePictures/gameroom.html

[​IMG]

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

all your base are belong to us...

i f***ing mean it. your base is ours now... well mostly just mine. pay no attention to the red dot on your chest. you ever been to the Nevada desert?

oh and welcome.

3. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

o.o Arcaaade....

Hello fellow fan! Several of us on here are a little off, so if you're afraid of psychos, I suggest you run now. Well, mostly me. I'm pretty :crazy: 

Welcome to the fandom, enjoy your stay!

4. jqciaomama

jqciaomama LD Master

Ebay:
    Hello, and welcome to the madness!:lolol 

5. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

Dude, welcome, and that basement is
    :rock :rock  Awesome :rock :rock 

what's the electric bill like?

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    MADDNESS? THIS IS TFW2005! umm sorry could not resist any way welcome and sweet arcade you have

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome. 98% of the people here are awesome - I have no doubt you'll enjoy yourself.

If you're buying vintage stuff, be aware there are some high-quality knockoffs out there. You can learn about them here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ell-new-ko-reissues-apart-authentic-toys.html

If you're just interested in having the figures themselves, but don't necessarily need 80's vintage (and the prices that go with it) check out the recent Takara Encore series, which are great.

8. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That's one hell of a nice arcade room.

And welcome to the boards!

9. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club. Great arcade set up there man. I propose next TFW meeting at your place. :p 

Oh and AMS is right, if you are looking for great reissues of G1 figs, Encore is the way to go.

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Its like i died and went to heaven. :p  I love your basement. Good luck getting your G1s.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Your arcade room is so right. Everything else is wrong.
    You are awesome sir

Collecting TF's can be a very expensive habit, have fun.
    Does'nt matter how you do it or where you start, as long as you enjoy it.
    With all those arcade machines it looks like your wallet can handle it lulz
    If you can handle G1, then you're pretty much golden. Those are the one's that'll cost you. The Japanese one's get even higher (Victory, Masterforce etc)
    The king titans of all TF pieces are those Lucky Draws. If you own them, then your collection owns everyone.

Ams is the man, take any advice he (or Sol Fury) gives you, they're like master plastic guru's around here. Those Encore's are an excellent way to go for getting brand new G1 stuff in nostalgic packaging without paying the insane prices the originals will go for. Like the AFA graded stuff.

Here's a nice one
    1986 G1 SCOURGE D-71 MINT IN BOX CSG 8.1 - eBay (item 170324598814 end time May-23-09 01:39:19 PDT)

...may be a good example on what you're getting yourself into :lol 

I think this one's a fake, watch out for these
    Transformers G1 1986 Scourge MISB remake - eBay (item 280341782156 end time May-07-09 13:30:00 PDT)

Welcome aboard btw, glad to have you here

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  12. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Welcome to the site, glad you like it! Feel free to browse various forums. If you're not careful, you'll end up collecting all Transformers, get in to customizing, pick up a pencil to do fan art, and eventually becoming a regular at BotCon, the annual official Transformers convention.

13. Brolga01

Brolga01 Olé

Reaction to Basement: :jawdropper: 
    Me:Welcome to the site.....DUDE!!!U R AWESOME!!!!...well..u'r..basement..so far...
    I'll shut up now!

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good call on the KO information. Welcome to the boards and your arcade set-up is incredible.

15. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Well, your basement just made me lose body fluid, that's pretty impressive for a picture.

Welcome to the madness.

Encore's are an awesome way to get 80's G1 figures at a reasonable price and have them be all brand new and minty in nostalgiac *sp?* 80's type boxes.

Not to mention all the Japanese text on the boxes is a hell of alot cooler then the original English Hasbro boxes. (at least I sure think so)

Start out with an Encore Jazz. Very cheap, very awesome, great packaging, and if you don't get that nostalgiac rush of, "wow, this is just like I remember." when you first open it,.............well then there might be something wrong with you, lol.

Btw, .......when can we come over to play at your house?

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Wow oh wow.. I bow to your geekiness. That basement is AWESOME! If I had one like it I'd live in the basement all the time.

As for collecting G1 goodness, best of luck and remember that they can be overpriced if you buy them from Ebay. I recommend attending Botcon or other TF convention and see if you can buy bunch of them from one collector. Saves you money that way. When I started my hobby I wanted G1 Grimlock and G1 Blitzwing in sealed box. I was only able to get Blitzwing MISB and Grimlock MIB but that's ok with me cuz a MISB Grimmy would set me back $200 or more. Set your budget and stick to it. Go for Encore for the same toys as G1 but with (slightly) different packaging. Oh and welcome to the forum!

17. ScourgeZF

ScourgeZF Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliments guys, it took about 4 years to build the Arcade but it was definitely worth it. If there are enough collectors in MD I think a meet up would be a great idea.

I'm glad you all mentioned the encore series, there are several that I would like to open up and have displayed such as Jazz, Trailbreaker, Soundwave, Megatron, and have been going back and forth on the encores. I'll definitely give them a shot now.

I would like to have a pretty much Perfect Scourge Sealed and am okay with paying the price for it. I would also like to get one to open up. Call me crazy, but for some reason I think some here would understand :) 

I've dabbled in 80s toys for a couple of years but never really caught the Transformers bug until recently. My wife bought me the Unicron for Christmas, and I picked up the Seaspray because that's the first one I remember having. After that I really wanted to pursue G1 collecting but didn't have any idea how deep the passion was amongst collectors so thanks for the great info.

I have a He Man Slime Pit AFA Graded and it's nice but honestly it doesn't look like an 85 NM+ to me. And the fact it cost me 3 times what a regular old sealed Slime Pit would have has got me second guessing the whole thing.

[​IMG]

I have a question about BotCon, are there usually sealed Gen 1's for sale?? I couldn't make this year because of the date but I'm seriously considering going next year and was wondering how the Vendor set up is. I see there is a new Scourge Figure and I'm definitely going to want that so hopefully it hits ebay. Is BotCon more for the experience factor?? Or are there quite a few items up for sale as well??

Thanks again for the welcome, I'm going to start wandering around the rest of the forum, this is one of the most in-depth forums I have ever seen!!

18. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

That!
    Is a mancave

Welcome to the boards and good luck with your hunt. Btw, what games do you feature?

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Don't feel ashamed, that's perfectly normal. I try to do the same when I can.
    Some people even get thirds for future trade fodder or profiting.

Many of us are old G1 fans, and it was the Beast Wars that pulled us back in.

Have you checked out Transformers Alernators yet? ( Binaltech in Japan)
    They're made for adults, realistic cars mostly. Ah man you're in for a wonderful suprise.
    Also check out Masterpiece Prime , Megatron, Starscream & Grimlock. NICE!

Trust me you came to the right place. If you want to go all out with the Scourge love , (since he's badass and one of the few TF's that can pull off a beard) , you could get someone to commission you a custom Scourge art piece in the art forums. There's some wizards in there. Would look awesome blown up & framed in your arcade.
    Hell you can also visit the Radicon custom forums and get someone to kitbash you a custom Scourge made from the figure of your choice.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, 99% of all transfans use this site.
    Welcome to TFU.INFO The Alpha Trion and Omega Prime of Transforming Toys - www.tfu.info
    It's the best when you want to look a TF figure up fast. Also quick & easy to navigate. Bookmark it!

20. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

You look to be a Chevy man, that makes you ok in my book already.