Just Reboot This Franchise

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Spunky, Sep 18, 2015.

1. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    I'm well aware of who Sideswipe is. I'm not sure how I can be wrong though when it's, you know, right there on the screen.

Optimus has been a gorilla, a shoe, a hat, a fire truck, a bat, a Angry Bird, a pickup truck, a Nissan GT-R, a bear, a pen, the list goes on.

2. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    Totally agree, with all this. Every. Single. Bit.

3. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I get it I do. You're going to have extreme purists in any fandom. No one Universe should be shoved down fans' throats. I come from the era of G1. As much as it will always hold a special place in my heart, I'm open to liking new iterations. I absolutely love Transformers Prime, Transformers Animated and the Shattered Glass Universe. There are even a few (very few) things I like about the movies. I'm one who believes there should and can be a happy medium when it comes to lifelong fans and new fan, so far as the movies go. I'm all for new characters. I'm even perfectly fine with updating characters from G1, so long as they stay true to what makes them familiar and iconic to lifelong fans. Keep Swipe a red Lambo, Jazz a white/blue/red Porsche, keep Ratchet's chevron and crosses,etc. That being said, I know there are G1 characters that may not have modern versions of their alt modes. I have no problem with a new alt mode, so long as the robot mode holds that familiarity. Hell, I'm actually a fan of Bee's new Camaro mode instead of that ugly ass Beetle from G1. A little compromise from all can make for a happier fandom, imo.:) 

4. SunSwipe5

True, but Optimus is most identifiable by his iconic red/blue big rig alt mode and paint job. He's known for his personality.

Sideswipe is most identifiable by his cherry red Lamborghini, the way his robot form is built and his personality. That silver robot in Bayverse is far more fitted for a Bot like Tracks. There was nothing Sideswipe about him, other than the name. I feel the same way about Jazz in the movieverse. I have no problem with new characters, but they are not new characters. They may be new to new fans, but they are not new characters.

5. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    I'm not saying they're new characters. I'm saying they don't need to be slavishly G1.

To some people, Swipe is identifiable as a silver Corvette who rollerblades. That's the only Sideswipe they know.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Huh. I'd not known that was happening.

But all the same, this...isn't the same as a full blown 22-minute cartoon serial on public television. At most, it might be a five minute collection of cartoons or something per episode, kind of like the webisodes of the "NEST" thing Hasbro did during the ROTF toyline extension.

Is that just for the TF branded toys in general or just the main line offerings? Because movies have all those spinoff toys that do the one gimmick and nothing else, whereas most of the cartoon-based TF series do not.

It's implied Sam died momentarily during that scene by "died" being defined as "his heart was not beating." They had the defibrillators and everything.

Because this isn't G1? Starscream showing up in Beast Wars actually shouldn't have happened, since that requires Starscream's drifting spark to somehow have gone back millions of years in time before he died to land on prehistoric Earth.

And the Rhinox thing involved the AllSpark. Which in Beast Wars/Machines was a completely different thing than the movie AllSpark.

Nothing wrong with new characters - they just need to actually contribute to the franchise and story more.

Hell, a major problem that I have with AoE is how piss-poor the Dinobots were handled - only showing up conviniently right before the final battle. This could have been solved easily by making the Dinobots the constant kind of enemy the bots had to fight before ultimately teaming up to take down Lockdown's guys. This solves the problem of the only worthwhile bad guys being one not-Decepticon and the human-built knockoffs, gives the dinobots far more screen time, and solves the problem of there being too few bad guys in toyline...without actually changing anybody who actually was in the toyline. This also would solve the characterization problem with at least Grimlock since he and Prime are never on the same page so having them butt heads for an entire film by making Grimlock a main antagonist (but not necessarily an evil one) would have made everybody happy.

I'm really bored right now.

I will admit, Kruger finally getting moved off the films is the one good thing that's happened to the franchise so far.

Do you know who any of those guys even are? It's not a question of simply name-dropping a bunch of G1 guys, it's actually putting the personalities behind those old names that people want. Because somebody who knows G1 Hound and went into AoE expecting that Hound is probably pretty fucking disappointed AoE Hound was anything but like G1 Hound.

And the track record for the films in handling those characters is abysmal as well. Shockwave is regularly seen as a real challenger to Megatron's leadership of the Decepticons, driven purely by logic. He kind of doesn't do anything except ride a giant metal worm in two scenes, then walk slowly toward Brains and Wheelie for a pun on his name, and then Prime flies in and crushes his head. And that's when Shockwave was hyped in the promotional stuff as the main bad guy of DOTM.

For maybe a split second, after his big moment in the intro of ROTF he kind of just hangs around with the other Autobots for the rest of the film without doing much even during the final battle.

And I legitimately forget what he contributes at all in DOTM beyond the leadup to the Mexican Standoff commentary.

He is a silver 'Vette robot moving among other metal colored robots. Think about that for a second.

Okay...so what are those 12 writers doing exactly now that the team huddle is finished and there's only two films even mentioned as having come from that? For something trying to call itself now a "Cinematic Universe" the fact the best they can show for it is the expected sequel and then a prequel film is pathetic. Those are still only moving in a single, linear direction plotline by tacking on films at the front and the back.

Oh, that's right, there's that Bumblebee film. Because fans totally wanted more of the R2D2 camaro who has more plot armor than Optimus Prime. Whoopiee.

...what does any of that have to do with the movies needing a reboot because they're driving the toyline into the ground by barely having any bad guys, they're the definition of what the public thinks is a hollow spectacle of a film, and it's a stupid idea to try and make a cinematic universe based on a film where most of the guys this franchise is known for are dead?

What does a video game franchise that wasn't meant to sell toys and is getting a movie have to do with a toy-based franchise where the movie characters are reaching a point of not actually even being in the toyline if they're not explicitly an Autobot?

You're not afraid of new and different things...yet you don't want the movies to change whatsoever if a reboot happens?

And yet every Sideswipe incarnation after ROTF has been explicitly red. I wonder why.

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    btw, if i am not misreading, should be noted that Battleship is an Universal movie, not Paramount. but correct me in case i am misreading

8. SunSwipe5

Newer fans see him as that silver Corvette. I'm not saying it should be strictly how they were in G1. I'm not saying stick with G1 only. I'm all for new characters. I'm also for modernizing G1 characters, but not to the point where they are unrecognizable to lifelong fans. So many keep going on about how purist G1 fans are adamant about not welcoming new iterations and updates, however, I also see alot of new fans adamant about not welcoming anything remotely G1. To those fans I say, quit the bellyaching and learn to respect each other and compromise. You can and should have both new and old incorporated into the movies. Modernize but keep the familiarity of the G1 robots for lifelong fans, and introduce new badass characters for the new fans.

I love the idea of Swipe being a swordsmech, as I hated those pile drivers of G1. I love the modern Lamborghinis and think he, Sunny and Red could definitely rock that modern alt mode. I prefer the peds instead of those wheeled feet, I love how agile a modern Lambo mode would make him, I think his red makes him look more badass, I prefer the horned helm to the crownlike helm, bringing in his rocket pack would give him a whole new level of awesomeness, introducing the infamous Jet Judo would be freaking sweet and that sassy attitude would just be icing on the cake. All of this incorporating modernization of the character for new fans, while holding onto that familiarity for lifelong fans. Compromising can do wonders.

For the record, outside of Optimus, the Autobot everyone can pick out from any given scene he's in (even if he's far off in the background), is Bumblebee. His color and alt mode are universally recognizable as a yellow Camaro with black striping. I actually prefer this version of Bee.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I watch way too many movies and Paramount has become the logo for disappointment. After really enjoying Mission Impossible 5 I was stumped on naming another Paramount movie that I had enjoyed in years. I know there was a time when I really enjoyed some of the films that Paramount was putting out but it seems so long ago.

I can't say that it's I'm just getting old and old people don't like anything. Loved what Kingsman was doing with the spy movie concept. Mad Max Fury Road had the film buff in me in film heaven. The new Star Wars film has me all sorts of excited when the trailer showed they had the kid from Attack the Block. Heck Fox has won back my faith thanks to that Deadpool trailer.

Given how few of the Paramount films are cracking the top 10 at the domestic box office I wonder if I'm not the only one disappointed with the sort of films Hasbro has been offering up. 2014 their top three took 7th, 15th and 16th spot. 2013 the top three were 11th, 13th, and 23rd. 2012 their top three were 10th teaming up with Dream Works, 31st again with Dream Works, and 33rd. The latest Terminator film is setting at 22nd and the year isn't over to knock it down the list even more.

I know some people say cast off all nostalgia and toss out those geezers but I just don't see Transformers 5 topping the $649 million domestically that Jurassic World by banking on nostalgia and giving geezers a reason to head to the movie theater.

I'm just not feeling the love from Paramount anymore. Either they have lost their film making mojo or they just stopped caring if I'm happy or not as a film junky.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    REBOOTING THIS FRANCHISE.....WITH NO SURVIVORS!

seriously i would love a reboot but honestly we might as well get the rest of the Bay series out of the way first.

11. SunSwipe5

Ah, the "kill everyone and start over" approach. Do you really think they'd kill off the immortal Bumblebee? :ev: 

12. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, i'd like them to conclude this storyline first before starting all over, i want to see a conclusion to the Creators arc

13. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    At first I wanted them to reboot but I want the story finished... And bring in Ultra Magnus & Prowl already!

14. SunSwipe5

Bay already killed off Jazz without a second thought, and he was the TIC. He then killed off the CMO for shyts and giggles. I don't think I could stomach him killing the SIC, because you know he will.

All the more reason I won't be going to see T5, and will be waiting for the inevitable cinematic reboot. Of course with my luck, T5's new writers will find a way to bring back a certain Bot, pair him up with another certain Bot and they'll be all kinds of awesome in the movie, surviving the main battle at the end :lol 

15. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Is anyone getting tired of all these "reboot" demands? It's not going to happen any time soon. They're gonna milk it dry with the Transformers Cinematic Universe.

Might as well sit back and complain about something else.

16. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    i am tired of it aswell. i understand why they feel that way, but as i pointed out many times you can save the current franchise as long they make good movies. this saved other franchises that had films that werent liked.

heck for all we know a TF reboot may be worse, what if they get a worse filmmaker or screenwritter?, just because they reboot DOES. NOT. MEAN. it will be better, it could go either way.

17. tokuformers

tokuformers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this film animation can be an invisible reboot.
    opening up possibilities and different directions of what was presented.
    and the public will not mind.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

But what's the logic behind trying to save a sinking ship?

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If Paramount had a better track record with turning franchises around into better films I'd be more willing to say it's possible. Right now I'm not sure if Mission Impossible 5 wasn't more of some sort of fluke than an example of the studio's skill at fixing franchises.

Kind of seems like each time we hear this time is the time they are going to get everything right with Transformers and everyone would be happy. Star Trek 2 was going make everyone happy that wasn't totally on board with the first new Star Trek. GI Joe 2 was going to fix GI Joe.

And yes I will agree that a reboot can make things worse. The Spiderman reboot didn't really work and part 2 was enough of a mess that it's going to take a little help from Marvel to fix Spiderman. But it seems like the odds are better with a reboot because a production team isn't hobbled by past events. If Batman couldn't reboot then we never would have gotten Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I'd just rather roll the dice with a reboot than what seems like the vein hope right now that maybe next time will be different. Take my chances with a new Starscream over maybe they can play the back from the dead card.

20. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Because the ship isn't sinking from a hole. It's sinking from the weight of bucket loads of money. The studio will not give up this series. Unless tf5 completely bombs I doubt they will anyway.