Just For Fun! Which Movie is Closest to a Shrekformers Film and Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatross, Apr 10, 2020.

?

Which movie is closest to a Shrekformers film?

1. Transformers

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Revenge of the Fallen

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Dark of the Moon

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Age of Extinction

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. The Last Knight

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Bumblebee

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Let's talk about bread!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

Okay.Which do you prefer toast or not toast?

3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

The thing is, this is not even close to the bottom, because this is (openly) just a way of having fun!

You know what's much, much worse? The threads in which way too many members of the fandom get legitimately angry at the mere existence of things they don't like. The "Ruined FOREVER" mindset." Getting mad at other fans who like what we dislike. Pretending others aren't "true fans" for not sharing our opinions. All of those are infinitely worse than posts about a theoretical crossogre with Shrek. NOTHING Transformers should legitimately piss us off.

Now, focusing on the subject of the thread, once more I will reiterate that I do not think any Transformers movie is actually a Shrekformers movie, nor do I find such a movie likely in the future, BUT I would certainly not be opposed to a Shrekformers movie, and I think looking at the films as if they could be Shrekformers movies is an enjoyable Shrexercise in looking at Transformers!

With that said, I don't think Transformers and Shrek is any more ridiculous than Transformers and super heroes, or Transformers and Angry Birds, or Transformers and (insert name of franchise here). It's ALL ludicrous and ridiculous stuff. Transformers has already had wizards and dragons and Nebulans who are binary bonded with Transformers and Shadow Parasites and budding and all sorts of stuff that isn't realistic by any stretch. Ogres would be no more of a stretch.

As for how I would personally do Shrekformers? My backstory would be that, millions of years ago, the Quintessons were at war with another species across a large swath of the cosmos. A species that was green-skinned and physically daunting and with a fierce reputation: the Ogres.

In this war, the Quintessons created the Transformers on Cybertron as robotic warriors built to combat and destroy the Ogres. The Transformers were so successful that the Ogres were getting decimated and in real danger of being completely annihilated.

The Ogres discuss how they can survive. They figure the best way is to sabotage the war effort by turning the Transformers against their masters. A brave Ogre named Shrek has possession of an item that can help them: an Allspark, which has the power to give life to inanimate objects. Shrek infiltrates the factories and mechanical shops on Cybertron, giving the Transformers life via the Allspark. Shrek tells them they are nothing but slaves for the Quintessons. Enough Transformers rebel against the Quintessons to exile the Quintessons from Cybertron and make them abandon the war effort.

Now some of the Transformers were created as the Knights of Cybertron by the diminutive, shapeshifting Lord Farquaad to rescue alien princesses from castles and fortresses on distant worlds around the universe. Optimus Prime was one of these Knights. In the present day, Optimus Prime is wandering across the stars and comes across Lord Farquaad, who wants him to fulfill his purpose of rescuing alien princesses once more to satiate his lusts. Optimus agrees to try it out, and he goes to a world with a princess guarded by a dragon. It turns out the dragon is really there to protect the princess from the creepy Farquaad, and she doesn't want to be rescued. Optimus refuses to take back a sentient being who has harmed nobody. He goes back to Farquaad empty handed and explains his choice. Farquaad has secretly aligned with Galvatron, and both pursue Optimus. The latter discovers a surviving ogre...it's Shrek! Together with the dragon and the princess, they fight the forces of Farquaad and Galvatron. How does it all end? You'll have to find out in this Shrektastic, ogre-the-top Transformers adventure!

So, rather than getting mad, let's have FUN with this. What would a Shrekformers movie be about? And which of the existing movies is closest to a Shrekformers movie, or closest to be the launching pad for a Shrekformers movie?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Sorry but the Gwhiners dont know how to have fun on this site.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I don't want to start an argument, but can you point out where in this thread any "geewhining" occurred? It seems to me like people are just put off by the topic of this thread.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    Movie threads are filled with them

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

So we can make threads now asking which film is most similar to another film? Why don't we have a thread for each film ever created? The double standards of this site.
    Anyone who wants to spam memes that no one laughs at is free to do so. Humour is subjective. But linking to every thread where you've made this same lazy joke like it's a series of works from a serious writer, or throwing a fit when people don't find you funny, shows a lack of self-awareness.
    Again with this "strawman argument" comeback. I find that most often, the use of that comeback itself is a strawman argument. I said you're throwing a fit and you say you aren't. This really isn't significant enough (at least to me) to be challenging people's argument structure or citing external sources, lol. Unless you wanna start a separate thread where you compare our argument to The Godfather Part II or start a poll asking which bee from Bee Movie I am.

My bad. This is clearly a topic that's near and dear to your heart.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    I don't get the Shrek thing, to be honest.

I mean I've watched most of the movies, I get the meme and I remember when it was pretty amusing... a few years ago. This just feels like the whole "Cake is a lie" thing. This is just kinda cringe-worthy to be honest.

I'm fully capable of having fun, I'm a pretty fun gal, but this is just... dude.

:horse: 

This just comes off as a movie fan feeling incredibly insecure that they still love objectively bad content that is almost universally hated by the rest of the fandom and those on the outside looking in rather than a valid observation.

The "ruined forever" thing is another painfully forced meme taken from TFwiki that doesn't account for any nuance involved in peoples feelings towards a certain element of the franchise and just waters it down to an ultimately anti-consumer 'slogan' of sorts. Any valid criticisms are just thrown under this umbrella. Kinda like "Geewunner", no matter how valid the criticism it's all just deemed the same as any unreasonable / irrational complaints.

Putting it more concisely, it's not a valid argument and trying to genuinely use it as one just makes you look kinda silly.

Furthermore people are allowed to feel however they will about whatever they want, and they could very well be valid, people can often get 'angry' about something they care about producing objectively bad content when they know it can produce better. That's called being passionate about something you care about. Obviously it can sometimes be irrational but not exclusively, we need to treat each issue on a case by case basis.

And lastly :lol  People not playing into this stale joke doesn't mean they're 'legitimately angry', good grief.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  9. Galvatross

Frankly, I think is a great thread topic and INFINITELY more fascinating than most of the endless, "The movies suck/rule," arguments that tend to dominate these parts of the boards. The purpose of this thread is to discuss which of the films is closest to being Shrekformers and why. Pretty straightforward.

If you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, there are plenty of other threads to discuss non-Shrekformers topics.

As to people complaining about there not being a comparison for ever film or series of films, you can do what I do when I want to discuss such a topic: I make the damn threads myself, as I have in the past! That, or other people have compared other fictional properties and made threads about it!

Here are some examples, both from others:

Transformers vs Pokemon

Marvel and Transformers in the same movie franchise

Autobots and Decepticons Marvel/DC personalities

Star Wars Vs. Transformers

A (Probably Silly) Crossover "What-If"

A TF-Jem crossover

Transformers Robocop crossover

Parallels Between Transformers 4 and The Rock

What do you think of a Transformers-Scooby-Doo crossover?

Those are just some comparison/crossover threads! Pretty damn straightforward.

Now here are some I have made:

Welcome To Trans-assic Park!

Age of Extinction as a Transformers Western

Parallels Between Transformers 4 and The Rock

Granted, those three threads are more serious than this one, but the point is I have made comparison/crossover threads, and so can YOU! So rather than complain about a thread made about Shrekformers, engage with it, and have a Shrektastic time! Ogre analyze your toy-based fiction!

"And now back to the Shrekformers."

In my opinion, I think the last three films (AoE, TLK, and Bumblebee) are closer to being Shrekformers than the first three, mainly for the reasons I posted in the initial post. Determining which one is the most like a hypothetical Shrekformers film is a little bit more difficult.

That said, I find it interesting that RotF is currently winning. Is it the fact that Long Haul is precursor to Igor and Onslaught in terms of design, and all have heads the size and shape of a giant, green onion and faces and/or fates that could make people cry?

Or maybe it's that Alice is like Fiona. She can either be a beautiful human maiden...or she can be a hideous-looking monster to most!

Heck, maybe I should start a more general TF-Shrek comparison in the General TF discussion!

• Like Like x 2
  10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'd say TLK. Shrek featured the main character on a quest with a co-star annoying him. IMO Cogman was the most annoying co-star on a quest in any of the TF movies.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Galvatross

In this entire post, you have not said anything of any substance. You are not following the thread topic. I don't know what you are trying to say.

The topic of this thread is Shrekformers and determining which of the Transformers films is closest to a theoretical Shrekformers film. You can either discuss the topic I made this thread for, or you can go somewhere else and discuss other topics, because so far, you and some other members are not discussing the thread topic.

As I have pointed out with multiple examples, there are plenty of threads in the Movie forums and TF General forums that compare aspects of the brand to other brands or fictional properties. Comparing the movies to Shrek for FUN (a concept which shouldn't be that difficult to grasp) is what we are supposed to be doing here.

You don't have to like the idea of comparing Shrek to Transformers, but that's the purpose of this thread: to find aspects of the films that might remind people of Shrek or that could be retconned into Shrekformers, theoretically speaking of course.

Personally speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing films series that are overall highly disparate, because sometimes it might enable one to see things in a new light. There is no single way to view a cartoon or movie; instead, there are many ways to view movies. I know these aren't actually Shrekformers movies, but I think it's a fun and harmless way to look at the Transformers movies.

And having fun with Transformers in a movie thread is INFINTELY more interesting than the endless threads arguing over the films' quality. THAT was the point I am trying to make that seems to go over many people's heads.

Another strawman argument.

I wasn't, "throwing a fit because of people not laughing," FFS. I could care less if you have a different sense of humor from me.

I was simply pointing out that a topic meant to have fun is much more interesting in my opinion than the ad nauseum discussions about quality and angry rants from adults who discuss children's toys and the fiction meant to sell them. THAT is what I'm trying to say, and as always, I speak honestly.

But apparently, trying to get things back on topic and point out that I might find discussing Shrekformers more interesting than bickering about whether fans like the movies or not is somehow, "throwing a fit." I don't know if many people responding in this thread are having a hard time comprehending what I am saying, or are being disingenuous, or what.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Please stop embarrasing yourself.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Terrellatron

News Credits:
    I believe you needed to bring more attention to "JUST FOR FUN"

14. Galvatross

LoL.

EVERYTHING about grown adults discussing a toy brand and the accompanying fiction is embarrassing. Talking about how much "better" one cartoon is than another should be embarrassing to grown adults. Talking about how much "better" one of the Bay films is over another one is embarrassing. Creating and maintaining an account at TFW2005 is embarrassing. Grown adults getting mad at other fans for liking what they don't like is embarrassing. Grown adults getting mad at toy lines catering more towards children and not adult collectors is embarrassing. Vocal fans saying the movies should cater more to the thousands of hardcore fans as opposed to tens of millions of general audience members is embarrassing.

Unlike some in this thread, at least I can try to have fun with the idea of Transformers, and I can openly admit it that it's all in good fun and not something to be taken super seriously. At least I let people enjoy what they enjoy and don't accuse them of not being real Transformers fans or, "Not caring about the franchise." Yes, I have seen members here (including some members who are regulars in the Transformers Movie forums) make those arguments. In my opinion, such behavior is considerably more embarrassing than fans just having fun and being goofy.

Furthermore, comparing Transformers to Shrek is no more weird or ridiculous than, well, comparing it to anything. Transformers in of itself ridiculous. Talking robots from Cybertron? Soundwave transforming from a giant robot into a cassette player that can be picked up by a human being? Starscream's ghost? Frenzy gaining a new body out of nothing just from being exposed to the Allspark?

Yes, Shrekformers is admittedly ridiculous...but it's no more ridiculous than anything else in the brand. So rather than fans pretending that the kosher ridiculous stuff is less ridiculous than the non-kosher ridiculous stuff, why not we just enjoy what we like, discuss what we like, and have fun with what we like? Because if we don't have fun with the brand....what is the point of being here or liking Transformers? At least I try to have FUN with Transformers, and that's less embarrassing than the members who are angry all of the time.

I truly do love Transformers. I truly do love Shrek. I combine and compare the two, because it fun and enjoyable to do so. It's enjoyable to try looking at the brand in novel ways, which is what I try to do, while OPENLY acknowledging that it's all in good fun.

The title of this thread should make that obvious.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    This defense does not work in this situation. 10-15 years ago, maybe, but geek culture is way more prevalent now than ever. I acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion, as am I and everyone else on this board, but the whole "you guys just don't know how to have fun with Transformers" mentality that you present rubs me the wrong way. I love this brand because of the fun aspect of it and I'm not embarrassed to let my friends know.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Galvatross

And I'm letting you know that the average person doesn't see it that way. To most people, Transformers is silly kids' stuff. And yes, I'm talking about people who know about Transformers from many different iterations, whether it's the cartoons, toys, comics, or movies.

I'm not saying you and I shouldn't enjoy what we do. I just think that, to many non-fans, what we do and talk about is not normal. Our preferences are not normal. It's okay to be into something not normal, but just be aware that others may not always give their thumbs up.

Nor am I saying you shouldn't be open about it. I'm open about it, but many, many people I have encountered think my hobby is stupid and childish.

17. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh definitely The Last Knight. You see, ogres have layers. And The Last Knight is surrounded by numerous layers of crap, but deep (and I mean very deep) down, I see that underneath all those layers, with some rewrites and restraint, there is a good movie somewhere to be found at the center of The Last Knight. Unfortunately, they didn't peel enough of the crappy layers away before releasing the movie.

• Like Like x 8
  18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    DOTM and on, obviously. I can't believe you guys don't see it. It's got a big, rotund green guy that has a heart of gold...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Galvatross

I totally forgot to mention the 1986 movie! That's a very good candidate.

The tagline for that movie is "Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination."

Beyond Good = Shrektastic

Beyond Bad = Drek

Beyond your wildest imagination = Ogre-the-top.

Plus, the 1986 film introduces Unicron, who is the size and shape of a giant onion!

And just like the Matrix of Leadership lights the Autobots' darkest hour, so too does Fiona's transformation light Shrek's and Fiona's darkest hour! You can even say that Shrek is like Hot Rod/Rodimus, because just like Hot Rod is the one chosen by the Matrix, so too is Shrek the right guy for Fiona.

Plus, both also have an annoying sidekick (Wheelie/Donkey) team up with a reptilian powerhouse (Dinobot/Dragon) who ends up on the same side after having initially hostile encounters. Shrek-Freaking-Tastic!

And both have rocking soundtracks to boot!

• Like Like x 4
  20. beastfanboi

beastfanboi Al Capone died of syphilis

the most similar to the shrek, not the movies... but a videogame called shrekformers war for swampitron which coincidently has a bunch of similarities like that fact that everyone has an sword just like the knights in shrek and also there space slugs which orgres love to eat and also starscream troppers are green just like ogres and also has refrences to the G1 cartoon which is pop culture in this case shrek has pop culture based jokes

• Like Like x 1