Just for fun: How big would Unicron have to be to scale with CHUG figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Illiterate Scholar, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Illiterate Scholar

Illiterate Scholar Well-Known Member

We're using G1 and Optimus Prime for scale. How big would a Unicron toy have to be to have it scale with CHUG figures? I know the show scales change all the time. Doesn't have to be exact, just roughly how big would this toy be?

Do we even have official specs on how big Unicron is supposed to be in the movie? Can we scale him using the shot where he attacks Cybertron? Hell, do we even know how big Cybertron is supposed to be?

Edit - After thinking a little more, I going to be more specific. Let's use the original G1 Optimus Prime toy for scale. For Unircon's size, let's use the scene where he picked up Galvatron and swallowed him. I've never owned the original Galvatron toy, but let's assume he's the same size as Optimus Prime toywise since they're the same size in the show.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well considering Unicron picked up Galvatron by his fingertips,

really fucking big.

Like bigger than FT Fort Max and most likely you big.
    [​IMG]
    (FT-17 is a bit taller than ER Prime)

• Like Like x 2
  3. JS_Prime

JS_Prime Active Lurker

News Credits:
    Could’ve sworn I’ve seen someone in another thread do the math, which resulted in a Unicron that, in planet mode, is taller than the Burj Khalifa

• Like Like x 5
  4. Illiterate Scholar

How much taller?

The Burj Khalifa is 829.8 m or 2,722 ft, just over half a mile.

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Depends on what CHUG scale actually is and how big Unicron would be in "real life". Assuming CHUG figures are 1/40th scale and Unicron in planet mode is Earth-sized, then an accurately scaled toy would be like 200 miles in diameter. Even if he's just moon sized, that's still a 50 mile diameter toy. (I have no idea how big Unicron is supposed to be in-fiction.)

• Like Like x 2
  6. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Neither did the director of the movie!

We just accept it. He's like Megatron, he's whatever size the current plot and application requires for his current mode.

I think one confusing thing is that Cybertron is apparently very large for a Cyber-planetoid; Lithone and the Moon Bases aren't all that large, definitely not comparable to the Earth. Probably not even comparable to our moon, Luna.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Illiterate Scholar

Yeah, I thought about it, and I tweaked the original post to be a little more specific, since it is hard to judge when even the creators can't decide.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Through every scene, every series, it is never consistant, so I go with very large satellite compared to Cybertron, considering the scene where he claws at Cybertron as a reference.

I consider Cybertron to be close to our moon in size, so he'd be something in the range of taller than any of Earth's mountains.

9. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Heh, well even if Cybertron is only Luna-sized and Unicron half that, the toy would still be 25 miles high. No matter what, it's just silly big. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    35-50 miles.

He has to be big enough that all the surviving Autobots at the end can drive out of his eye with room to spare. His fingertips need to be so large that a figure is lost in them and that without extreme closeups you can't even see a figure standing on his abs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Screw the movie and it's changeable scale (or rather, complete lack of scale).

Unicron was, in the Furman comics, supposed to be the same size as Cybertron (and no, he and Andy Wildman couldn't get a grip on the sheer scale required either).

Anyway, Cybertron was defined (all the way back one the very first page of the very first comic) as Saturn-sized. I've never encountered another attempt to give it's size.

CHUG is roughly 1/40th you say? Okay, that makes a to-scale Unicron toy just under 3000 Km in diameter. Would need a mould such as the crew of the Lost Light discovered...

12. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unicron size / scale shifted in the 86' movie. One moment he is planet/moon munching size, the next he is handling Galvatron.

Part of the problem is achieving representative scale in animation and films where you can only make monsters look so big in certain contexts before all context and value is lost. To a degree, the same philosophy very much applies to toys where circa 2foot to 3foot tall is the maximum playable and functional size, with most large toys like playschool age and more static items eg the big jurassic park dinos. Otherwise large toys stay around 1foot.

Depending on continuity Cybertron is either 1/2 size of Earth, similar in size or several times bigger.

Unicron appeared in the 86' movie to be the same height as Cybertron depending on frame shots i.e several thousand KM tall. But when the shuttle flies through his eye he would only need to be a few KM tall on a representative scale otherwise, the shuttle would have had no visible impact.

At true scale as per other frames, you wouldn't even see Unicron holding Galvatron, Galvatron would be so small against his hand.

So, to put Unicron into actual CHUG scale he would still be a couple of hundred KM high at least. In planet mode he could still be the size of our moon and not be out of continuity.

If we were scaling him to the swallowing Galvatron scene then he would only need to be a few km high.

13. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Big enough that we don't want him standing on the surface and slowly sucking up all the water from the oceans, growing larger, and moving on to the rest of it...

So is he just supposed to have a matter reactor that unzips every substance into Energon? All that rock, water, magma--fairly inert stuff, unless you're able to fission it all somehow?

14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, considering that in the movie, he "eats" a few small satellites moons and Lithone (small world who's size was never defined beside "small"), in the Unicron trilogy, again, he's huge but still never defined as being overly large.

Like any fictional "world" eater/destroyer, it's a fair assumption that he simply aims to break his target down to get to the destruction of it, and the consumption would be more of a filtering to extract and gather proper materials (metals and such) and anything that could be converted into fuel.

Considering that energon cubes converts oils, electricity, etc. by contact into energon, so I could easily see it done at a much larger scale once the materials extracted (biomass/oil, etc.) is separated to such large scale energon converting systems.

His main function is to destroy things, so he's basically chewing things apart, and grabs what he needs to power/recharge and repair himself, so depending on his target, that could be the whole thing, or less than 1%, but in the end, the target is still destroyed.

Should he attack earth, him "sucking" at the surface wouldn't take long to disbalance the atmosphere, wreck havoc with the surface and cause the planet to start cracking until the planet does snap apart. He doesn't need to be crazy large, as at one point, it becomes more about the power than the size. His goal is mostly aimed at destroying life and he does that by breaking things apart, then he can "feed" as he needs, using the target's own resources to power himself to get the job done, but once the target is destroyed and unlivable, he moves on.

Considering that his "planet" mode's mouth is a good few miles wide, that's a big bite out of anything (basically he can eat a large city in a single bite).

Romancing the scale that no existing fiction has managed to maintain "locked", does make it hard to get a proper notion. For me, I go with a reasonable scale that makes his into a world destroyer as per what I just explained.

I just finished making a model of Cybertron and Unicron in the scale that I believe makes to most logical sense. With Cybertron being the size of our moon, this shows that Unicron is still very large and falls into the rational of how he stands with the general size he has in the movie when he's next to the Transformers, how big the ships are, how they enter (his mouth) and exit (through his eye), etc. Considering that the Titans would barely be seen from "space", they would be (at the most) about the same size as half of the thickness of his ring.

DSC03885.JPG