Just filed a BBB complaint against FunPub.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It was obviously said in a more polite manner, but those are basically the details I was given. I just put it all together in one sentence. Here's how it all went down.

I called and gave them my new address as soon as I moved. I asked if that would apply to my club figure cause I knew it would not be forwarded. The lady on the phone said yes. So I just forgot about it.

Everyone started getting their figures, mine never showed up. I waited patiently and it still never showed up. I finally got an email from them saying it got returned because the PO does not forward and that I need to pay $5 to get it reshipped.

I explained to her the phone call and that I was told the address change would apply to Dion. I asked her why it even shipped to the old address. She said the labels were printed right after the deadline to sign up to get Dion, so it would go out to whatever address I had then. Calling to change the address wouldn't do any good after that time. Despite that deadline being several months before he was gonna ship out.

I emailed again letting her know that I bought a house and moved. I couldn't just "not move" because I was waiting on a toy, and that since I notified them of the move as soon as I moved, and it was well before Dion shipped, there was no reason they could not make me a new label. I expressed that I felt I should not have to pay extra since it was their fault they shipped to my old address. I got no response to this email.

I emailed again asking about my Dion to which I was told they are waiting for my $5.

I then filed this complaint.

2. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:

this.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest you are partly responsible because i would have somehow put it in writing because right now its just he said she said. But most companies would oblige if you go thru the rights doors instead of making a big fuss just based on customer service. A good word goes along way. I think if u just use tact n speak to right ppl they would straighten this thing out. Owning up that u r partly responsible might actually help to show ur genuine instead of just being a frugal ass. And sorting this out in written form might be a better idea than making a phone call because it may end in confrontation.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im bored so lemmee help u draft this shit out:

Dear fp. I am longstanding customer of your company a fine purveyor of robit goodness (this is the ass kissing bit). However i have recently had a bad experience of (insert complaint here). While i regret not having somehow gotten thing in print (own up without taking up too much blame) i am dismayed, nay, appalled that your company is being so rigid when i have (insert amount of monies u paid em so far). As a longstanding member of this esteemed fandom (im using esteemed liberally here) i would hope you put better effort in your custome service. Im sure being the reputable business that you are (kiss their ass one more time for good measure) you will see it in your heart (too much?) to resolve this small problem, it will go a long way to myself giving u more money to feed my robit addiction (you can rephrase this, im just being frank) i will be sure to let my peers know that you guys are a bunch of stand up guys (insert thumbs up smiley here).

P.s. This consultation will be 5 bucks, i has paypal!

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  (love the inserted text)

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I disagree with the "partly responsible" part. Sure, I should have gotten something in writing, but that does not make it my fault they screwed up. At the time, I had no reason to think I needed something in writing. They assured me the address change would apply to my Dion. When they say that, you think they mean it, you have no reason to request it in writing.

8. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just because the labels are printed at the time the order is placed, there is still no reason that they can't print another label upon notification of an address change. Especially when that figure isn't scheduled for release until months later. If anything, preorders should be placed in a queue and until the shipping occurs, they should be open to any necessary edits. If they're that cheap, then they can charge you an extra .49 cents for the additional label. To those who are telling IG that "it's only $5.00", I would instead relay that statement towards the people at FP.

I don't care how relatively low the amount is, it's the principle of the matter. I deal in customer service related matters every day (general manager of 5 retail stores), and I can tell you that when it comes to customer dissatisfaction and/or monetary returns, you must always weigh the risk against the rewards. If it's someone that has had little to no previous transactions with you before, and there is no indication that they will provide future transactions with you (essentially, a one-off order) then you can afford to be a bit more hard-nosed about the matter.

However, if it is somebody that has dealt with your company numerous times in the past, has purchased from you numerous times in the past, that should give precedent that they are invested in your product and will purchase from you again in the future. In cases like that, regardless of who is "right" or "wrong" and since it's a small amount of money, most businesses would eat the loss and say "sorry for the misunderstanding" and look forward to making their money back (and then some) on future purchases from said-customer.

Any company that would jepoardize losing any future sales from a customer (exclusive figures, re-subscribing to the club, BotCon revenues, etc) over $5.00 is a company that is void of proper business sense.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great post ^ if we had a rep system i wouldve + you. in the OPs case the 3rd paragraph is pretty telling.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Have you tried contacting Pete? I'm sure he'd like to know about this situation.

11. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very well said. Something to consider, word of mouth. This thread is 9 pages long already and stirring up bad press for FunPub in the process. They should also take that into account, as if they were in the right, that would be one thing, but more and more people feel they should take care of IG

12. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think FP has a computer problem or somebody is not entering information correctly.

I was gettingk ready for the Iacon package to pop up for order, so I logged in to my account and notice that my account said that I needed to renew my account (paid through 3/11). So I contacted FP and got the mess straighten out. Of course, when I when to order it, my account was still locked, so I had to order under my Girlfriend's account. When fedex (Worst Company ever, that's another story) went to delivery it, nobody was home during the day, when they delivered it. So I tried to have fedex deliver it to my work (2 miles away) and they wouldn't because my girlfriend did not work there.

So I called FP and said that they can change the name on the package, but it would cost $10 to do so. I told her why should I have to pay that, if you would have had my account unlocked (when I called a couple of days before hand), I wouldn't have had to use my girlfriends account and would have been able to change the shipping address for no charge.

Well after another couple of calls, talking to 3 different people and being on the phone for 1/2 hour at a time, I finally got my account unlocked (still don't know why is was locked in the first place).

Also, Fedex was about to return the package to FP, because I burned through 3 attempted at delivery and I wouldn't drive 70 miles to pick up my package at the distribution center. If FP would have gotten it back, I would have had to pay to reship it again and it still would have been in my girlfriends name.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    For the record...

Your "membership" to Fun Publications allows you to purchase your convention items at a price that is still profitable to the convention company. You get the right to buy the items at the actual price that they want to sell it at.

If at every convention they sold out of every convention figure to people all registered as members of the convention, they would still turn a profit.

The reason they have "non-membership" prices is to make hand over fist on people that either don't want to be a member, or those who buy on impulse ("OMGOMGOMGOMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT SCREW THE COST *CLICK*"). Or even better, those who don't KNOW about the "discount" for being a member.

It's elementary retail 101.

You have an item for $19.99.
    You have an excess amount of these items for $19.99.
    The price is changed a week prior to an upcoming sale to $29.99.
    The week of the sale, the price is dropped to $23.99 and listed as "SALE! 20% OFF!". When in reality, the item is actually selling 15% over the original retail price.

People see "sale", see the old listed price, see the new, shinier, larger SALE! price below it, and they feel entitled to buy this great deal because you're saving $6.

In short ... Fun Pub doesn't miss out on money or lose money because you're a paying member buying the "discount" price ... the actual term "discount" or "member" price is in revelance to what the "non-member" or "regular price" is, not what the ACTUAL item costs. Your discount is compared to the non-discount price ... not an actual discount in terms of the definition in regards to the actual item.

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its also no shock that for the club toys often the non-club member price is the same as the club membership fee + the members price.

15. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Not this. Not this at all. I wish more people would do what IG is doing. Companies screw people over all the time. And why because they can. They all say they care about the customer but really, if they don't have to they won't do anything for them. This is a prime example. They know that most peoples time is worth more than 5 bucks. So they do nothing. Is that right? Is that the correct message to send a company? That they make a mistake and because it's a minimal amount of money then the customer should pay double?
    I don't think so. They messed up. THEY should eat the cost. And they should be sending IG something more too for his time.

When I am put in the situation to help a customer if my company screwed up this is what I do. I try and resolve it quickly and go above what the customer expects. That way instead of him telling his friends and posting on line this horror story he may tell them of a story where we made a mistake (if it comes up but he won't be looking to vent it) and the other possible customers will hear a tale of how we resolved it quickly and he got more that he asked.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I agree 100%. Just because a lot of people here like and support Fun Pub doesn't mean that the company shouldn't have to be held accountable for their mistakes. Even over $5.

Principles count, peoples. I hate how fans of anything sometimes think getting screwed over just has to come with the territory of being a fan. Utter nonsense.

Good for you, IG!

17. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Thinking about this... Did you try to escalate this within FunPub? Basicly that means talking to Brian directly. It's not hard to find his email address and he is usually quite reasonable when working with his customers.

18. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Just let me get the free hot rod repaint next year and I'm done....btw those mags are trash...

19. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. This is just a shitstorm of a thread.

Hell, just paying the $5 would be worth all of the TIME wasted on this whole ordeal....

20. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Just make sure you don't move before it ships, or you'll have to pay an extra $5 to get it. :lol