1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Just A Thought: What is the TCU becomes like the DCEU

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sir Spookii, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Active Member

I was just thinking about this today so just hear me out.

I know it looks like Bumblebee is gonna be the reboot (I know we don’t have confirmation yet) of the series. But what if it gets to the point where paramount is just pumping out random films that don’t have any connection at all?

I bring this up because of what Lorenzo said about a cybertron film, bumblebee 2, and a beast wars film. It’s awesome and all, but are we gonna have any kind of continuity between them? He’s already said the Bayverse is over.

This made me think of the DCEU because of what didn’t end up working with the justice league stuff and now they kinda are just making solo movies that don’t seem to have connections with one another.

I’m don’t think Hasbro would let this go on because of their final say and how they want their Hasbroverse much like the MCU but Lorenzo’s comments just worried me a bit.

I say this because his exact words on the ending were “It had nothing to do with the other films, and was completely about the emotional journey of Bumblebee.”

So you made a “prequel” that has an ending that isn’t connected to the films it’s supposed to be a “prequel” too? Uh okay then? That seems like a bit of a contradiction. I think all this prequel talk is just marketing/pr.

Just wanted to see if anyone understood what my take was and if they wanted to comment on it too.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Sir Spookii

Sir Spookii Active Member

Ugh I just realized I put is instead of if. I’m new to the site I don’t know how to change the thread titles haha.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Your laser fire is merely making me STRONGER!

I think the TFCU is dead in the water thanks to TLK. It's nothing but a traditional series of sequels.

The Cinematic Universe craze is dead since everybody failed at it - including Disney with Star Wars.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we got a bunch of Transformers films that were director-driven, and lacking hard continuity, like the DCEU is heading, I would actually kind of love it.

5. Stormragetron

Stormragetron Well-Known Member

so far Marvel's " universe " is the only one which has worked at the cinema . DC movies were always better as stand alone films and in my mind Bumblebee is also a stand alone film .

Personally , i dont want to see a Transformers Universe and certainly not a Hasbro universe as only Transformers and M.A.S.K are of any interest to me .

I highly doubt most cinema goers would have any interest in a hasbro universe and even a Beast Wars movie .

For me , i would rather see more stand alone movies or even sequels to the bayverse five ( if they could only find a plausible way to remove Unicron from earth and distance cybertron from us .

6. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first attempt is a total failure. Thanks to TLK. Bumblebee is more like a second attempt by Hasbro. Let's see whether that would work or not

7. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Frankly, I think the whole Hasbro Universe idea was doomed from the first, and for more than one reason. Not to say you COULDN'T make decent, successful movies out of the likes of Micronauts or ROM (Hey, in an age where a bunch of C-list Marvel space adventurers and DC's resident Fish Whisperer have managed to have box-office blockbusters, don't tell me what is and isn't possible!) - I just don't think the initiative or leadership is there to make anything meaningful out of it. It's just more Hollywood coattailing, which is why so many of these cinematic universes have blown up on the launch pad (though I think the jury's still out on WB's monster/kaijuverse - I think we'll have a better idea what we've got when G:KOTM hits).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the solo films are just sort of buying the DCEU time as Warner Brothers tries to figure out what they want to do. But superheroes don't really have a problem working that way because superheroes having solo missions is a part of comic book history. No one gets very upset if one of the Avengers doesn't pop up in the Spider Man comics for a while and Batman doesn't have to pal around with his friends from the Hall of Justice for people to enjoy a Batman story. Eventually the DCEU will have to solve it's Superman problem and there will be the temptation to team up all the big name DC heroes again. But for now the DCEU can sort of ignore the problems as they build back positive buzz for the live action DC movies.

Transformers is a bit trickier because the solo act isn't as popular. The reason the old cartoons rarely did the solo bit was because toy companies didn't want to sell you just one Autobot or one Decepticon they wanted to sell you a whole lot of the toys. So mentally people are just used to Autobots as a team of heroes and the Decepticons as a team of villains.

While there has been a lot of fail at making these big expansive universes it's still something studios strive for because on the rare occasion you do crack the code that means you have built in viewership for the next installment. The movies are also having to keep up with the entertainment trends in TV and streaming where continuity is a big hook to get people to binge watch and stick with a series. You don't see as many series these days where you can watch the show in random order any more. The totally self contained stand alone episodes just aren't as big so even for a show like The Orville there are times when you need to know something from season 1 to know about the relationship between characters in season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I think what DC is trying to do is to make sure that if they're gonna do a team up movie again they'll be sure to give some of their heroes their stand alone movies first and take their time establishing them so they won't end up repeating what happened last time. I don't think they're just gonna abandon that idea of an extended DC universe just because JL didn't work out. That'd be like not bothering to do any more Batman movies because of Batman and Robin. Feels silly to do. That's how you overcome new mistakes because you learn from the old ones.

As for Transformers I think for now they're gonna focus on doing smaller movies in general before going back to the bigger ones just to win people over like how Bumblebee's doing so far.

10. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking at how Bumblebee is doing now. I think it will be reworked as a reboot. (The preboot thing is a just in case). And with a competent director like Knight at the helm. I think it will do well in it's own way.

The main reason why the DCEU didn't worked so well compared to the MCU was because they rushed everything. And the DCEU started with Man of Steel who was a very polarising movie to begin with

If you have a polarising foundation you probably will also have a very polarising universe (BvS critically panned - Wonder Woman critically acclaimed)

And since the Bumblebee movie was so small to begin with I think it is an excellent foundation to start the (possible Knightverse) on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes indeed Star Wars only seem to make spinoffs of events that happened in the past. Without anything to expand on you can only make so much before you run out of juice. So I really hope they push through with Bumblebee as a reboot. Because lets face it most of the references to the Bay movies are so minor or trivial that they can easily be transferred into the Knightverse.

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Like a turd, in the wind

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It's funny you made this thread. Cause in hindsight, the DC Movieverse are eyeing Michael Bay himself to direct Lobo.

13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I can only speak for myself, but I personally care more about getting fun, entertaining movies than I do about having a series with tight continuity. If all the future Transformers movies contradict each other as much as Bumblebee contradicts the previous films, I could live with that, as long as they're just as entertaining as Bumblebee. I'm really more concerned with things like the storytelling of the individual movies, as well as things like design style and whatnot. When it comes to movies, I'm definitely more focused on a micro view than a macro view.

I get this doesn't apply to everyone. In fact, I'm probably in the minority. I have friends who've told me they can't get into Doctor Who because it lacks good continuity. I guess I get where they're coming from, but I can't fully relate to that mentality. A lot of people love Marvel because they have tight continuity between movies, but that's actually fairly low on the list of reasons I like those movies. It's neat, but that kind of thing doesn't really help me get any more invested in what's happening. There are definitely upsides to having tight continuity, but I'd also argue there are downsides to it. Movies with looser continuity can have a bit more creative freedom (for instance, we likely wouldn't have got Bumblebee's Cybertron scene if Travis Knight were forced to adhere strictly to canon).

I grew up watching older shows that completely contradicted themselves between episodes. Sometimes characters would have different last names for different episodes, or have inconsistent character traits (for instance, one character varies between being a good mechanic and having no mechanic skills, depending on what the particular joke calls for). That's probably because they were written by separate writers, and they didn't keep good records of what was established in past episodes. Honestly, I think it's kind of fun to look for these things. It also shows me that they're more focused on making the individual episodes as good and memorable as possible. I find that modern shows that focus more on tight continuity and "long form storytelling" often have less re-watchable individual episodes.

14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    There is not and there never will be a "TCU". Even if Paramount makes a hundred successful Transformers movies, they'd just be a hundred movies.

A series needs to actually have a bunch of standalone yet interconnected parts to be a "universe". That's not what Transformers has ever been. It's just sequels and prequels. Slapping "cinematic universe" after your movie series doesn't make it cooler or more legitimate.

• Like Like x 1