June Darby's A Bitch!

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Spunky, Oct 3, 2011.

1. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    I agree that people should adopt, but now it seems you're getting a bit off you're own subject.

What she said was a bit mean, but the truth can suck. Ratchet's words stung Optimistic but you don't seem to want to talk about that being cruel. Hopefully June's words will spur Ratchet into learning more about humans so he doesn't make the same mistake again.

2. Una

Una Well-Known Member

June wasn't cruel to them. She was telling the truth.

They are children in a middle of a war being fought between giant sentient robots. Ratchet for the whole first season was around the humans and if June wasn't there, how would Ratchet have saved Raf? Ratchet makes note that if she wasn't there, Raf would have perished because of his arrogance. It was the combined effects of June and him that saved Raf's life.

June made good points. Kids don't belong in this type of war. Their kids!

She had the right as a mother to have the Autobots see that this kids except for Jack, have parents who would want to know what has happened to their child and what are they going to say? They can't cover it up and Optimus would have to tell them himself.

Parents' reaction? Probably the same as June's.

3. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    June actually made valid points.

Ratchet couldn't be considered a real doctor at least for humans. Hence she said 'real doctors'.

And the families of the kids needed to be informed, hence she said 'real family'.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That was the only one I felt was a low blow, but only through the value of the meta-perspective of being in the audience, since it clearly hurt Bumblebee to hear it said and in truth he didn't deserve it.

Raf wasn't that way because he went chugging into battle with Bumblebee; they were pretty explicitly off doing relaxing stuff when Megatron flew over and decided he hadn't twirled his moustache of villainy enough today and decided to do a bit of puppy punting.

Pure spite, nothing more.

June's response, by and large, is pretty on the money. Gives Miko's comment about the base being a 'secret clubhouse' a pretty dark overtone when watched retrospectively.

5. Dark Hayabusa

Dark Hayabusa Well-Known Member

I don't think June was being a bitch. She was shocked, scared and a bit angry. So she lashed out at everyone. People do that from time to time. Plus Ratchet is a doctor, he's an ambulance. That said, refusing the ground bridge was a bit of a dick-move

6. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Someone saying hurtful but true things when they're in a stressful situation and feel angry and scared?! Stop the presses, this has never happened before in the entire history of the universe!

Seriously, now. Her reaction was entirely believable for a mother in her position. Whether or not it was "cruel" of her to say those things doesn't matter. It was realistic, it was the truth, and all the Autobots understood her position and how she was feeling and didn't fight with her about it.

I doubt Ratchet and the others will be crying in their recharge berths or whatever later because of what she said. They're big 'bots, they can take it. I don't even know why you're being so defensive over the feelings of fictional giant alien robots, anyway.

7. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I agree with June's points. I just don't with how she went about making them. She could have chosen better and more rational words.

Actually, I really don't like this whole let's have kids in robot war cartoon to appease the kiddies but let's then have an annoying mother criticizing it to make it seem so mature. I find this redundent and annoying. It just starts to look silly and ridiculous in the end. Personally, I think it would have been better to just have Jack in it and no other kids if they wanted to give it kid appeal factor but make it seem mature as well. I think three kid characters are redundent and just gives June more children concerns to bitch about.

8. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

it makes me like her more :( 

9. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the point, though. She's angry, and more often than not, when someone is angry they're not going to rationally think through their opinions.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I think she was being very reasonable. Truth is, the bots haven't been all that responsible with the kids so far. They have good intentions, but haven't been all that successful in keeping them out of harms way (though Miko's recklessness doesn't help). Raf almost died. If she hadn't acted the way she did, she would come-off as heartless, imho.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    You are nuts, Spunky. I guess trying to be a good mother is being a bitch.

Let's see:

*You are deluding yourself into overthinking a kids show, and complain and whine about lack of females, maturity, redundancy. Please. Relax, it's a kids show. God.

*You acknowledge June is right, yet you complain that she was being a bitch. Thousands of times in my life I was chewed out by my mother, who was not nice at all about scolding me. But she was RIGHT. June wanted to get her point across. The Autobots are adults and they screwed up big time.
    *Her first encounter with Cybertronians was being hung and nearly killed by a sadist spider.
    *Jack and the kids are regularly in danger
    *Optimus failed to keep the kids safe (though really it was Bumblebee with Raf)
    *Ratchet just barely was able to save Raf's life. And he even acknowledged his mistake while working - he knows nothing of human science despite the fact the kids regularly come around. It took June's claim of him not being a "real doctor" to put the final nail in the coffin.
    *She was being a mother, scared and protective for the children. Wouldn't you be pissed if your child was nearly killed from the inside, and this is apparently commonplace adventures for the kids? I don't even have kids, but I have a mother, siblings. And family members. And friends, who I would defend. I would happily tear into Optimus himself if I thought he threatened a loved one. And that's what she did. Optimus, Ratchet and Bumblebee screwed up and Raf nearly died. June was exactly right saying what she did. And when she claimed he needed to be protected by his "real family", she further showed how much the Autobots screwed up, despite being a surrogate family.

Have some compassion Spunky.

12. Flashdisk

News Credits:
    Despite her anger, I think she handled herself quite well. Saying that the kids need 'real doctors' and their 'real families' may have been painful but it was to the point. And I think it does address the gravity of the situation. A child almost died, to say things in a round about way would have taken away how much of a tragedy it could have been.

13. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    This.

14. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well then, why even put the kids in this show if they want to add all this drama. Kids don't care to see this. They don't want to see some nagging parent. Kids watch these shows to escape nagging parents. And they are the target audience who buy the toys.

15. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

God forbid a show be entertaining to more than just the target audience.

Are we planning to retroactively bitch about Animaniacs too? I mean, they kind of ran on being able to appeal to a broad audience.

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I have plenty of compassion. At my job, I see irresponsible and uncaring parents all the time letting their kids do dangerous stuff right in front of them and not care. As part of my job, I have to tell a kid to stop climbing a tree or not get on the roof. But I can't go up to the parents and say much, and trust me, I really feel like letting them have it. I really feel like telling them what irresponsible drugged out pieces of shit parents they are, but I can't and plus IT WOULDN'T BE RIGHT! I can't even talk to them the way June talked. I'd be fired. I have to act professional and June should have been more professional herself. Even if she's not on the job. She could have simply said, "Children don't belong in the your war and Raf needs to be looked at by human doctors who know about human physiology and then united with his human family." She still could have gotten her point across without being insulting. She was being insulting and showing her human prejudices. Humans, especially in the United States, have this belief that family comprises nothing but genetically related people despite how such people treat their children and other relatives. The Autobots have become part of the kids' family and I'm sure June is aware of that. Not only was she trying to hurt the bots with her insults, but she was hurting the children she was trying to protect by insulting beings they really care about. She's smart and should have realized this and engaged her brain more before engaging her mouth.

17. Flashdisk

News Credits:

Then her actions are a good reminder that the situation that occured was far from all right.

And the kids who buy the toys obtain their resources from their families. People who probably wouldn't be happy if a tv show shows that the loss of life is something to be brushed off as nothing. The kids themselves would probably benefit from realizing how terrible the loss of life could be, especially that of a child. I don't like the show to sugar coat such things.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She doesn't have to be professional to her kid. She's a mom. And where the kids may not know better, the adults should have, so I would have been a little annoyed that I was the only one thinking this was a bad idea, hence the "This may fly on your planet, but not on ours."

19. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

She could have been at least a little kinder and realized that the bots mean much to Jack and insulting them is only hurting him not helping. Again, she could have gotten her points across without being so hurtful. I have lost respect for her as a character.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bull. Shit. I've had family tear into me while they were drunk. It's a very real hurt. And just because they can't remember what they said the next day after they've sobered up, doesn't mean it hurts any less (or get them off the hook). They made a choice to get drunk just like Ratchet made a choice to test Synth En on himself. And in the episode he held himself accountable for his comments and actions afterwards.