June Darby's A Bitch!

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Spunky, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, (well not really) but she is. I understand that she was freaked out in this recent episode and concerned about the kids but what she said to the Autobots, and Ratchet it particular, was REALLY cruel. Saying Ratchet was not a "real doctor" and that they were not family to the kids simply because they are not related and of a different species, despite her full knowledge of how much they have saved them and HER, was just cruel.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Your 16 year old kid and his friends hang out with soldiers, and one of the kids gets seriously injured, and only through a miracle saved him. You telling me you don't take them from the warriors who know nearly nothing about how to protect and heal those who are injured? only makes sense she wants to take the kids to safety. not as bas as described, imho.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think she was wise. C'mon, wouldn't you be worried too if you were a parent and your kid and his friends were hanging around giant aliens, and one of them almost died? Doesn't help that she's also a nurse and constantly sees people dying and/or injured.

The situation was just ironic because there happened to be a giant twister outside and she put Raf in even more danger than if he just stayed with the Autobots.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well,

Jack's mom a bitch... :popcorn 

5. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

She didn't have to act like a bitch about it especially to bots she knows deep down inside only have the kids' best interests at heart. Yes, she's a nurse and a mother. She has a right to be worried and upset, but not a right to act like an ass. As a nurse, she's supposed to be caring and responsive but also compassionate and cool. She should know that saying cruel things to Raf's friends after the kid was almost killed and still recovering is not going to make him feel any better or help his situation in any way.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Yes, she is! I hope one of her patients stabs her in the eye with a needle after telling her he doesn't think she's a real nurse. :thumb 

7. wyze2099

wyze2099 Well-Known Member

Okay, first of all, spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen "One Shall Rise, Part One". If you haven't and you've read this far, you've kind of already been spoiled a little, but from here down I'll go with the assumption that anyone reading this is up to date on the series.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. If anything, this show has gone out of its way to show that June Darby is a nice person and a good mother who doesn't even like being a stern parent. Heck, in "Crisscross", she followed up Jack's grounding with a heartfelt "I love you", and even made a special trip the next day to cook dinner for him -- all to make sure, Jack understood that she wasn't being mean-spirited by grounding him. From her perspective, she was afraid her only son -- her only known family -- was falling in with the kind of bad crowd responsible for illegal street races and horrific vehicle accidents. Once she found out about the kind of crowd Jack was really hanging around, she saw them for the heroic people (well, mechs) they were, and she tried to be supportive. Then she drove them nuts by constantly worrying about the kids' safety, but it was with the best of intentions, because she understood they were still in a dangerous situation.

Now the events of the past couple of episodes have caused her to reach her breaking point, and as a nurse she refuses to see harm done to people -- especially children -- on her watch. From her perspective, the kids hanging around giant warrior robots who have a poor track record of keeping them out of trouble is a situation she could no longer support. Worse, she was the only parent who even knew any of the Transformers existed; Raf could have died on the operating table without his large family even knowing why. Miko has two sets of parents (her real parents in Japan and her host parents in Nevada), and both sets have been kept entirely out of the loop. What kind of parent would she be if she continued to turn a blind eye to this?

If anything, June seems to be one of the most reasonable characters ever seen in Transformers media, IMO. Nothing she said or did was unreasonable, given the situation. She even had a point when she implied Ratchet wasn't "a real doctor": not only does he lack any kind of medical degree recognized on Earth, but he also lacks a fundamental understanding of the human body due to his own ego. Ratchet is only a "medic" in mechanical terms -- entrusting any human to his medical care would be foolish. Even in the previous episode, Ratchet had to defer to June's medical expertise, even though she herself was not a doctor.

My only gripe with the scene in "One Shall Rise" was that she actually gave in to Jack's decision to stay with the Autobots. As her mother, that's her choice to make, not his. But as I've said, she tries her hardest not to be 'the bad guy' (and certainly not a bitch), so I'm sure a little bit of that factored in.

While it's for the most part fashionable for Transformers fans to hate human characters, and while there have certainly been human characters who were badly-portrayed ... I really don't think June Darby deserves that kind of hate. Just because she read the riot act to the heroes of the series doesn't mean she was wrong to do so.

8. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Threads like this are why I avoid the Prime forum

Honestly, I get the feeling that Jacks dad was a soldier or something and died in battle. Just a feeling I have and helped further make her freak out make sense. Oh yea, and the fact that she's a mother who already last one person in her life, like she wants to risk the life of the other.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

It's always nice when someone makes all the points I was going to make for me, so that.

I would hope for season 2 we see Ratchet learning human physiology.

10. wyze2099

wyze2099 Well-Known Member

*blink*

I can't say I blame you.

Edited to add:

Me too, Pravus. It would be the next logical step in Ratchet's character development, especially now that he has the motivation to learn it.

And you're welcome. :) 

11. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree. I like June Darby, she's funny and adapts quickly. The reason she reacted the way she did in the most recent episode is quite understandable. The kids may get hurt while interacting witht the autobots. Just being close to them is dangerous because each bot has a target painted on their back.It thereby negated any chance of safety the bots could provide.

And she had a point, Ratchet may know a lot about Energon, but he knows little about human physiology. Altered brain chemistry, hormonal problems, radiation damage, they've got to check if he had suffered any side effects Rathet may have missed.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    wait wait wait...her name's June?

huh. musta missed that :p 

anyways. i like her! and i was kinda rooting for her in the latest episode when she was getting after everybody. I saw it as the show kinda making fun of the property. why IS IT always children that get sucked into this huge interplanetary civil war??? i mean, come on. they ARE just kids. and the thought that TFs only seem to be able to befriend children can be a little irksome. like, why exactly?

i mean, i get the whole "behind the scenes" reason. Its a show for kids, the kids are there for audience relatability blah blah

but i thought that scene was nifty :p 

and i think her remark about Ratchet not being a "real" doctor is justified. he IS an alien being afterall. And he even admitted himself he knew hardly anything about human anatomy so. yeah. makes sense to me! just cuz a guy knows how to fix cars doesnt mean you'd want him performing surgery on a person

and its cool she's a nurse too

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Her reaction was understandable, emotions ran high, people snap and get angry and there was reason for her to be angry, but sadly her only available targets were Bumblebee and Ratchet. I did chuckle when she ordered Miko into the car though, that was only ending one way.

However, now she's figured out exactly what kind of danger they're in, my guess is she'll let them stay at Autobot headquarters since its probably safer than their homes.

14. RoccaDNB

RoccaDNB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If June hadn't done anything she would turn the level of brilliance the writers have put into the human aspect of Prime, to a level of TF: Energon.

In fact, as stated by many, she is the most Human character I think we've ever seen in a transformers series.

Go June!

15. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

To be honest, when I read the title of this thread, I hoped to fing a video of Miko singing "Jack´s mom is a bitch", South Park style :dj 

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Likewise, so I hope someone can get a close vocaloid match or something & make it happen.

17. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    She is just a worried parent. Don't judge her by that. Remember Ron and Judy Witwicky, on how they were worried about Sam? She reminds me of them.

18. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

:eek: :puke: :crazy: 

19. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I...you..but...what?!

You see that little speck in the distance? That's what little credibility you had left. Goodbye little speck, you may be missed. Maybe.

20. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! Dude, wow. No words can cleverly explain how completely inhumane you just sounded. Hating someone is one thing but wishing them horrible pain... no words...

BOT: I like June. Her reactions are very normal for a human mother and what she said to Optimus about what she feels the children should be more concerned with is true, it just so happened that their lives were turned around by transforming vehicles. I mean I cried when Raf was taken away from Bumblebee but that was the emotion of the scene. I think I said this in the passed but these characters all represent different reactions from different people in the world if they actually see a giant alien robot.

jD001