Jump Species - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Our collecting mentality is unique to us, and it’s hard not to apply the same approach to all areas of toy buying. One could argue that the collecting strategy of a vintage G1 Transformers variant collector is not the same as that of a fan who collects mainline Transformers exclusively. The common perception is that vintage collecting is a more costly exercise than mainline collecting, and for the most part I think we can agree on that. However, when a traditionally vintage and variant collector like myself moves onto more modern toy lines, the condition – if I may call it that – can ‘jump species’. It happened when I collected MTMTE comic cover variants, it happened to some degree with my Robots In Disguise collecting and only limited funds allied to low availability of certain exclusives managed to curtail the same behaviour in my Masterpiece buying.

Jump Species | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    As always, a fun read, Maz!
    I'll admit, once again I am tempted to dive into collecting more 'modern' Transformers releases (besides Masterpieces), because these Titan Returns toys (and Takara Legends) do all look pretty great. However, I know I just have to hold steady and make sure I don't get ANY of these, because I sincerely fear for my wallet if I do. I just have to keep telling myself that Masterpieces hit the sweet spot perfectly, giving me all I need in the way of wonderfully realized tributes to G1, even if not quite as frequently as TR / Legends (although with a release of 1-2 MP's a month I have NO reason to complain).

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was close to going all MP only and then mainline started getting much much better and MP switched to Kobayashi and uber-toon accuracy and I feel like I'm being pushed back to mostly mainline collecting. Very weird.

4. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I'm still intrested in Beast Wars MP's from Takara but am done with their G1 stuff and recently bought my first mainline TF in 4-5 years (TR Blurr).

As there's still plenty of 3rd party MP figures I'm intrested in I don't think I'll switch completely back to mainline collecting but I've been looking at possibly getting a couple more Titans Return figures as well as some more of the 3rd party Classics scaled figures.

5. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am finding the TR deluxes to be maddeningly addictive especially when paired with some Masters. Voyagers not so much. At least not yet.

And I'm not totally out of MP but I have decided that S3/4 will be classics only.

6. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm almost there with you, or at least i'm sticking to non-3rd party. unless i see a 3rd party Galvatron that knocks my socks off. or i win the lottery.

love that Weirdwolf base Maz.

-

• Like Like x 1
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

For a while I tried a razor-sharp focus on strictly G1 I needed, MP, Animated, and a couple of other things, which was made easier by the lack of good product in stores. AOE toys were trash (IMO, of course), and I got a handful of Generations, but not much else.

Then Combiner Wars came along and blew that up :p . I tried staying away but CW Menasor and Superion were like classical Sirens whose voices I could not resist... someone tie me to the mast (Odyssey reference FTW :D . I knew that Classical Civilization degree would come in handy at some point).

Now I got my first TR toy 2 weeks ago, Mindwipe, and I thought he was great. Got Hardhead last week and he's pretty cool too. The sculpted detail is impressive. Seriously, I'd buy up all the TR I could if I had the funds (well, except Sentinel Prime, who looks like he's come down with Hate Plague). Now they're showing Kickback, Doublecross/Twinferno, Broadside, Triggerhappy, even a cute little Repugnus... I even want Getaway just because I like the G1 toy so much. Good thing Christmas is coming soon. Better get that list to my wife...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Cheers dude, I am finding the fan mode possibilities an endless source of enjoyment with every new figure. And adding Tak to Has always allows for further embellishment of such modes.

Case in point...

Great04x.jpg

All the best
    Maz

9. elj

elj Well-Known Member

I think perhaps that is just the way of the collector 'mindset' (or 'disorder' according to my wife). For we the afflicted, collecting can be just as much about the act as it is the end result. There are many things that I am fascinated with, including cars, tools, action figures, comics, and a whole range of other things. Having a firm understanding of my financial status, I know there is no way I can collect all the things I'm interested in. As such, I find it's best that I draw a very firm line in the sand, and make sure that I don't 'dip my toes in the water'.

I find that for me, if the task of collecting seems too daunting (whether by scarcity or cost), it's far easier for me to not get started. Likewise, if there's no challenge, then the drive for me to collect is also diminished. I have had to take a 'hands off' approach with my kids and their toys for fear of pushing them to be collectors (if they want to be, great, but I shouldn't push them there). Reminding myself that they don't need every Shopkin, Calico Critter, Halo MegaBlok, and even GeoTrax, has been really hard for me. It helps that my wife is very pragmatic and doesn't see a point in 'collecting'.

I'm very happy that MP's (and likewise 3P) meet so many of my criteria. They are hugely enjoyable (even after the 'catch'), have the right amount of scarcity/cost (a very personal variable), and also have that nostalgia and relaxation value that I look for.