JP Earthspark DX Prowl Cancelled?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Zodiac1968340, May 27, 2024.

1. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

I'm not even talking about older fans, necessarily, just general customers. For example, as a casual fan, or someone just getting into collecting, or buying for a younger relative (e.g. they enjoyed Rise of the Beasts), you buy Earthspark Deluxe Optimus Prime because of the name recognition, but you aren't impressed with the toy. Would you then spend more money on a complete non-entity like Twitch, who isn't backed by a big name film and whose cartoon isn't even aired on tv? Especially if there's still RoTB product on the shelves too?

That's what I meant by dismissing the toyline: a combination of a lack of strong advertising via something accessible, a perceived lack of quality (perhaps equating the reuse of molds like Cyberverse Shockwave with Hasbro cheaping out) and, yes, possibly even the artstyle or packaging being unattractive or unappealing. If because of these factors a customer has already decided "Earthspark toys = crap", even if the Twitch toy is a really good one in terms of engineering (or simply fun to play with), I don't think it's going to sell particularly well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the warrior right here on my desk right now, and I'm very much looking forward to the deluxe. The picture of the warrior toy being posted here is taken from the best possible angle to flatter the toy - and the deluxe still seems better.

On the subject of the toys selling, all I can go by is what I've seen. Cyberverse routinely sold through, got restocked, and sold through again. Was quite regular, and I imagine the stores like that. Earthspark started out the same way, and then stalled somewhat (but was still selling, just more slowly) because no new stock was released by Hasbro in Australia; they just kept supplying the first wave, and now, over a year late, we're finally seeing new waves, and we're also seeing the old behaviour - new stock is put out, new stock sells, more new stock is put out (well, that last part is a bit patchy - Hasbro just flatly seems to be having difficulty getting stuff to stores).

So to me, Cyberverse sold rather well (better than Generations a lot of the time), and Earthspark started the same way and appears to have the potential to do so again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grun Gast

Grun Gast Well-Known Member

On my part, where I live in South-East Asia I did notice that the local department store previously did restocks of Cyberverse product (including getting stuff like Rack'n'Ruin, Twinferno and Skullcruncher) but only restocked Earthspark stuff twice. I suspect part of that is because they're still trying to unload the Toxitron G2 coloured stuff, and because compared to Cyberverse the Earthspark stuff didn't sell as quickly. In addition, nearly all RoTB product sold out (though there was only one restock of that series). I fully suspect at this point they're gearing up for One's release and so consider Earthspark not worth restocking.

Meanwhile, the local Toys R Us still carries a bunch of Earthspark, RoTB and Legacy stuff, but from Earthspark the only things I see really sell well are the Tacticons and One-Step-Changers/ Flipchangers, which I've noticed have been restocked at least thrice (by coincidence, a couple of times I've been there I've seen the boxes on the floor after a shipment has arrived and employees are unpacking, and I've noticed on those occasions there's at least one full carton of Tacticons). That's part of the reason I came to the conclusion that those smaller "kiddie" items were what was doing brisk business, since not only were they small and affordable, they generally focused recognisable characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee. No Tacticons of the likes of Twitch etc, for example.

The poor RoTB Weaponisers, though... I imagine parents don't see the point in buying a Cheetor who becomes a knife or a Rhinox that becomes a gun, so they continue to languish.