Joker Origin Movie with Joaquin Phoenix

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Red Goblin, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You also have to remember, those animated WW and GL movies were some of the earliest releases from the animated movies. Only hardcore individuals really knew about these movies at first.

Once again, the problem is that WB doesn't respect the material nor their audience. Marvel has proven that you can take any character, give him a well written movie, and people will love it.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hadn't heard that, but that is gratifying to hear. It was pretty good.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I was a bigger fan of Emerald Knights, but First Flight was a great movie: the battle between Hal and Sinestro was a thing of beauty.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes superheros are in the main stream now, so videos that would only do okay 10 years ago would do much better now, the trick is picking and adapting the right stories. Harley is really popular, I was looking forward to seeing the movie....then I saw it, a story with little pay off, and characters acting out of character. Will it make money sure...will I want to buy another movie from the same team....no.
    I used to buy every DC Direct to video animation, now I pick and choose and wait for reviews. Because the quality that was in the early releases isn't there any more.

I can think of dozens of Batman stories I'd like to see adapted to animation, but likely it won't happen anymore as they always change the stories now so they won't have to pay royalties.

After the Judas contract and the killing joke, two of may favorite stores were altered badly I just don't trust them. And it's not like the old days where super hero stuff was rare. It's everywhere. So now quality is even more important.

5. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Harley needs to just die already. She's become a stupid gimmick that has overstayed her welcome. I now wish Timm and gang never created her.

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will never happen. Harley means $$$$$. A ton of merchandise out for her. If wonder woman didn't have a movie, Harley would probably be the top money maker for female DC characters, merchandise wise. She tends to included in heroine groupings. A line with supergirl, batgirl and wonder woman will most likely include Harley.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    As a Harley Quinn fan, I find myself almost agreeing with this statement.

Overexposure killed the character. She got Joey'd. Supporting characters rarely make the leap to the big leagues without losing what made them strong supporting characters to start.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not sure what you mean by Joey'd, but I say she got Simpson'd. :lol 

They've changed Harley so much that she has gotten annoying. Not to mention it seems like she is no longer that stockholm syndrome victim she used to be and is able to even take on metahumans. WTF?

9. Macross7

News Credits:
    Its a Friends reference.

10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

You know the sad part about all this? People will still go and watch it when it happens. You will go and watch it, I'll probably go and watch it as well. Morbid curiosity or genuine interest, people will go there. If The Emoji Movie managed to bring in the crowd what stops this one?

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yup, she might as well be an entirely different character. The fact that she's so capable now really annoys me, because Harley was often Joker's muscle, but not so overpowered. And yeah, the dynamic between her and Joker has shifted so much she's no longer a quasi-tragic villain, she's just a hyperactive, grating anti-hero.

Ey Macross...

'Ow you doin'?

• Like Like x 1
  12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This. I get some people out there aren't happy with the direction DC's taking Harley but acting like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons isn't going to change DC and WB's minds about it one bit. I'd be more shocked if both DC and WB didn't take advantage of her popularity at the moment because money talks. Also wishing that she was never created now just comes across as both selfish and petty. I mean I'm not exactly a fan of how at times they tend to make Batman cruel at some point nowadays but you're not seeing me wishing he was never made or at least the dark take on him never existed. Besides there's going to be a point where a new character will be DC and WB's main focus in the future. Happened with Iron Man years ago.

13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nope. I'm done with DC movies. The only way I will even see JL is if someone pays for my ticket and I need another movie to add to my worst of the year list.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

For everyone one of us diehard fans, there are a 100 new fans of harley being created everyday BECAUSE of these changes.

Thus are the pitfalls of popularity and a company's attempt to continually increase and cash in on it.

Soak it up, enjoy while it lasts cause it can all come crashing down at any moment.

• Like Like x 2
  15. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm still looking at Under the Red Hood being the second best selling of these animated DC movies and despite that, they don't want to do more with Red Hood. He's already Batman-related. What more do they need? I think we all know that it wasn't Batman alone that made it sell. It's almost like making good movies makes them more money.

I don't know how they got two animated Adam West movies greenlit before they saw how the first one performed but I'm glad for it. Let's hope the animated Lynda Carter Wonder Woman movie is still a thing especially with the success of this year's WW and how well Return of the Caped Crusaders was received though I don't know how well it sold. I'm more surprised at how well The Killing Joke sold despite the reviews. Was it the cover?

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As much as I love Red Hood, there's really only one great story to be told with him, and it's already been told. I look at how they've watered him down towards the end of the New 52 and even a ton more since Rebirth started, and I don't know what they can do with him and whether they can right the course.

17. Macross7

News Credits:
    Killing Joke is one of the most famous Batman graphic novels so no wonder it sold well.

18. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Less to do with stories focused on him and more just using him. Considering Under the Red Hood was well received, the obvious move would've been to capitalize on him. Though at this point, maybe I no longer want them to.

Maybe it's a minority, but I was thinking people these days would look things up over blind buys which I assume is why it sold so well. Not to say blind buys are extinct, but with the Comic-Con and theatrical screenings, just looking the film up would've resulted in some red flags. It did far better than I expected with all the negativity surrounding it.

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Other than the Batgirl prequel part, didn't really see much wrong with it. Yeah, it got some negative reviews from "critic" community, which is bloated beyond belief now, but overall the average viewer doesn't give two shits aboutg something like the Batgirl segment.

We really overestimate our opinions about how well these products should or should not do based pretty much on our long personal attachments to the characters and stories.

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    JOKER Movie May Feature A Bullied Younger Take On The Classic BATMAN Villain With A "Permanent Smile"
    New Details On The Types Of Stories DC Films' New Banner Will Explore After THE JOKER

"As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”

... I'll stick with Killing Joke.

"This banner will be completely separate from the world of movies like Justice League and Aquaman, as part of the studio's plan to focus on "auteur-driven" films rather than being laden in continuity such as those released by Marvel."

I actually like this part. I think it sounds interesting.

• Like Like x 1