Customs: Joint rub on a custom

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by jguior, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jguior

jguior Member

Does anyone have any good tips on how to reduce joint rub for paint and such for a custom after it's been primed and painted, so it doesn't wear down?

Thanks!!

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    You have to sand it down a bit so it wont rub as hard when you move the joint.

3. jguior

jguior Member

Which grit should I use? Should I just run the sandpaper over the whole jkint? Should I try a dremel?

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Paint rub is a never ending battle and my personal first hurdle when starting out. With practice I've gotten better.

Basically just start off sanding areas with as fine a grain of sandpaper as you can. I want to say off the top of my head that I use 800 grit but I could be wrong. Some people go ahead and paint after that but expect rubbing. Just sand any areas you find a bit more.

Another good tip is to use as thin of coats as possible in those areas. That just takes practice.

So basically I'd say just try it, fail a little, and do better next time.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    The primer stage is usually the best time to find rub points. Prime, leave to cure, assemble, transform a couple of times, the rub points will appear, disassemble, sand the whole figure with a very fine wet/dry sandpaper, just a one rub over, but take those rub points right down. You need to think there's a couple of layers of paint at least to go on so sand enough for that. Now re-prime, leave to cure, assemble and re-check.

6. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dye the joints ball joints black and leave it that colour

7. seanb47

seanb47 FB: SBee's Custom Creations/ IG @Sbee_75

Ebay:
    I would say to check the toy by handling and transforming it a couple of times to spot the rub spots before you even primer it.Sand those areas down first as needed and if it's an area you want to look smooth go with higher grits of 1000 or higher to smooth it out after a rough grit of 400 or 600 grit. Sometimes,yes,you might miss a spot that doesn't become apparent until after you primer it or basecoat it. In which case you will just have to re sand that spot down til desired results and repaint your primer or basecoat in that spot again.