John Warden Rejoins Transformers brand team

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Apr 9, 2024.

1. JasonTFW2005

JasonTFW2005 Well-Known Member

If they repeat the behavior from Combiner Wars, I'll be very sad. The amount of repaints and repackaging into box sets was excessive and confusing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

And frankly, with Skybound, I think we'll finally have an actually good Transformers x G. I. Joe crossover comic.

I mean, most the original combiner limb toys were of nearly identical construction
    anyway to facilitate the scramble city gimmick, so I give the line something of a pass. The paint, accessories, and general hollowness is definitely worthy of criticism though.

Secondly, I wasn't a fan of how you could miss a whole team since they shot everyoneout per wave.

Then again, slow burn might also suck cause you might miss the one guy for whoever... SO idk.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ProfessionalIcee

ProfessionalIcee I have a fear of places so I want to change shape.

Repent from your past sins, John.
    62A70764-0019-49A4-8C40-56010144959E.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Man, when you feel the need to explain your opinion especially when it's something you're hugely invested in, it's inevitable to go with the paragraph route. :p 

Also helps that during my previous university semesters, I actually really had to do a ton of research and analysis for my Major Research Project assignments, and I did had to write long term papers and reports. What I just posted previously didn't even come close to 1/4 of the contents and length of my papers back then :eek: :p  !

--------------------------

Good point; And just like how "if you don't like Armada, it's not touching G1 or Beast Wars unless you want it to", the same thing can also be applied to Gundam. You don't like the teen melodramatic character drama of SEED? you can just tune it for things such as Wing, 00, IBO, G Gundam instead. The good ol' Universal Century still exists and was still being expanded upon fiction-wise even to this very day, it's not going away anywhere.

Wherever you want to admit it or not, these AUs kept the franchise fresh and serves as entry that introduces new audiences to the franchise. Continuing on from G Gundam that I mentioned before, the reason that something like G Gundam even came into existence at all, is that by the early 90s they do realizes that the core Universal Century continuity has become too bloated and convoluted for newcomers, and it doesnt help that their previous main Gundam anime show in the UC timeline - Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, was such a huge financial, commercial and critical disaster that it almost killed the entire Gundam franchise, and both Bandai and Sunrise figured that they need something fresh, new and exciting with the franchise, and bam - Yasuhiro Imagawa, the apprentice of Yoshiyuki Tomino (Who was the original founder of the Gundam franchise) was chosen to direct this new take on Gundam, and Mobile Fighter G Gundam was born.

If it weren't for things such Mobile Fighter G Gundam or Gundam SEED, the Gundam franchise would not even survived to this day; Same thing can also be applied with Transformers and things such as Beast Wars, Unicron trilogy, etc.,

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 7
  5. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

I want a U.S.S. Flagg sized Broadside that can still turn into a robot. That's the dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    If someone died regretting they never got a new Gears figure, I feel sorry for them, and not because they didn't get a new Gears figure.

• Like Like x 24
  7. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

The real tragedy here is that everyone forgets about Windcharger.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, maybe I care more about this than you then. I mean that's perfectly plausible. People like different things to different degrees for a whole host of reasons. I probably care way less than you about sports and cars for example. Could not care less.

I don't feel it's unreasonable to make toys that look like they do on the shows you're promoting. I think that's a very reasonable expectation to have actually.

And whilst I do confess to being a perfectionist, I wouldn't call the toy designers of Armada toys talented. Hell, Smokescreen couldn't even stand on his feet. And he wasn't the only one. Again, I feel like if you make a robot toy it should be able to stand up straight by itself without falling over is a reasonable expectation.

I am of the opinion that Transformers was killed off. They took some very well made toys from Japan and decided to make their own, but was far less skilled than the Japanese at toy making. To ad to that they stopped investing in the cartoon and comics, even though it was profitable for them to keep going. That's a death sentance.

You call it stagnation, but there are no shortage of brands that have kept on going for decades. Everything from Superman (coming up on 90 years since launch) to Gundam have found ways to not stagnate, and yet keep true to the original concept. There is absolutely no reason why G1 couldn't have done the same thing if there was a will to do so.

And no, that Gobot thing doesn't bother me one bit. Completely seperate toyline, and I liked it for what it was.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Also nearly every TR deco
    IMG_0054.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  10. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
  11. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    I meant POTP jazz and TR decos are worthy of a Hague trial…

• Like Like x 1
  12. That guy named storm

That guy named storm Professional plastic muncher

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Gonna do a hot take and say that we wouldn't be where we currently are with transformers toys if it wasn't for Warden. He lead WFC, which ultimately was the building blocks for Legacy and of course the current standardized articulation we currently have now imo

• Like Like x 7
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah… a lot of em were rough. Still though, have a hunch it was a sacrifice forced by the prime wars budget cut.

• Like Like x 3
  14. cynw32618

cynw32618 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always feel for fans like yourself during this time and feel conflicted, because as someone who really liked G1 this was when Generations actually hit its peak for me. I obviously want to see all fans get what they want, yet at the same time this last few years my own collecting has petered off a lot and I think this year is the lowest it’s gonna be in about a decade.

I truly don’t believe it will go back to this way though, I look at Warden as the one who opened the line up beyond G1 and think even if he had stayed on Transformers, he was always smart enough to listen to the fans like Mark, Evan & BMAC do and the line would have continued to evolve the way it did.

l think where we’re at now we’ll continue to see more of what has been working great, Transformers as a whole has been doing well for Hasbro - If anything I expect us to probably get more of the show based characters from other continuities like BW Rampage & Lugnut.

No, this was due to the outdated view in the past that female toys as a whole don’t sell, and that Prime Wars trilogy as a whole had quite a few retools.

Shocking as it is, we didn’t get the first G1 Arcee from HasTak until 2013, that’s only 10 years ago! In that line alone we also got several different female Transformers in G1 Arcee, Windblade (with the Slipstream retool from Takara) and Chromia in Thrilling 30.

Siege was only 4 years later, and the intervening 3 years had 2 lines of Combiners plus 1 of Headmasters so there weren’t that many specific female only bodies - But we still got the likes of PotP Elita-1 & Headmaster Arcee, among others I’m sure I’ve missed.

I know what you mean, I actually look at it as the exact opposite in that he really regretted all the retools & wishes he would have pushed for more new molds, as well as knowing how to do it differently next time - I’m excited for us to get new Combiners at a time he may be back on the brand, as I feel he’d do a total 180 from Prime Wars.

The irony here is that we’ve had so many of him previously over the years! Considering how little he actually did in G1 he had an amazing Scout figure in Reveal the Shield, a fun retool of IDW Tailgate in Combiner Wars then got a whole new dedicated G1 toy in PotP - I don’t think we’ve had many more Hot Rod figures over the years :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm just glad Broadside happened.

• Like Like x 6
  16. IronPrime2169

IronPrime2169 Supreme Leader of the Bluepremacy

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I mean, we need to see how this goes, but I’m cautiously optimistic about all of this. Warden standardized articulation and completed a bunch of the G1 cast in just 3 years, so he’s got a good track record imo. And while yes, I am also hoping he can balance the scales on Studio Series again, he is also a good pick for a brand head since he was a designer and understands budgets… not whatever chucklefuck they’ve had since the start of legacy that thought “oh yeah let’s make breakdown a retool where he can’t get his proper hood” etc.

He also worked on some, if not all, of the parts of Legacy Year 1.

>believing in a PerspectiveEnd video
    Sorry, I don’t trust anything from the YouTuber who unironically thinks MP Bee 1.0 and TR Seaspray are retools.

I legitimately thought I had accidentally gotten drunk reading this.

• Like Like x 3
  17. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Absolutely not. Despite being 43 and therefore most certainly around for G1, I wasn't at all interested in the idea of cars and vehicles turning into robots. It was Beast Wars that pulled me in as a kid. I had friends who had Transformers and I only ever wanted to play with the animal-based ones, if that.

And besides, you're literally doing the thing you're against by only wanting "your Transformers" (and not even front and center, but apparently the only option.) It was clear from Beast Wars and previous iterations, like RID, that Transformers needed to change or grow stale. Hell, even the love action films proved that.

• Like Like x 17
  18. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, you need to wait over a decade before it's been 40 years for UT fans, but I get your point and YES, it is unfair. It would have been so much better if UT was it's own thing with it's own names and ran at the same time as G1.

As for Gundam...I can simplify it in absurdum. If you expect to come home and see your dad and there was someone else there who claimed to be exactly that - your dad, then it's understandable if you were upset. You have a connection and a personal attachment to what your dad, and this stranger standing infront of you is a mockery of that. Being his son is part of who you are.

Same thing with Transformers, but obviously diled down quite a bit in emotional impact. But the same things apply. Something has been changed against your will and it's something you had a connection to and was a part of what you defined yourself to be. A transformers fan.

19. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

I too am cautiously optimistic, but I feel like Warden will be a nice counter balance to it, and hopefully not an oppressive/ overbearing one.

The design team are very passionate and have good idea and intentions, but I definitely saw certain figures being shafted to the obvious benefit of others -and that's a bad thing even if we reap the afore mentioned benefits of it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    This happens in a variety of sectors of reality and is usually called "change", and part of the human experience typically revolves around growing in response to this.

• Like Like x 8