John Cena Says Bumblebee: The Movie Will Reinvigorate The Transformers Fans

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 23, 2018.

1. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee prequel movie except all of Bee's dialogue is replaced with clips from Bee Movie except every time someone says "bee" it's replaced with "HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA (DUH DUH DUH DUH)".

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

• Like Like x 3
  3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Pass!

4. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Top spot was never expected. Between Black Panther, Infinity War, and other films this year, top spot was never even a thought or a worry.
    Making double the budget in box office returns and as good a movie as possible is the only goal right now alongside pushing merchandising product. Making a heartfelt experience you tell your friends and family they should go see is the goal.

Much of Paramount's franchises can be salvaged with the right approaches. But right now, we'll see how that goes depending on how Bumblebee does. Paramount had some mixed things, but they've also had some really good groundwork that could be explored too that could bring those franchises back. With Transformers in particular, this kind of fatigue is not a new thing either. The original toon itself went 4 seasons and then hiatus to then a revamped "5th" season that was Beast wars which had a new hook entirely that brought audiences back and brought the brand itself back without actually rebooting the history. Instead it played into the history in deeper ways while still being fresh and easily accessible to new audiences.

So the films need to look in that direction of finding a new hook that'll pull audiences in and make them want to see it, and a lot of that may rest on how Bumblebee does in audience responses.

Tbh, even TMNT is salvageable if they tried it as a Usagi Yojimbo live action movie to then a sequel of that to then a joint 3rd TMNT film team up. But outside of the shredder storyline that seemed like a setup to eventually have a Kraang and Shredder stuck in dimension X type dynamic, the TMNT movies are kind of done thematically. This last film represented their self-acceptance and coming out to the public, so there's not much left to do there. At least not in stories that'll gain a strong audience foothold unless an Usagi movie does really well to have them do a team-up movie.

The biggest problem though is telling stories that haven't already been told or been done. This is something even spider-man and batman have had multiple issues with. So it's that same issue they face with a tmnt reboot, or GI Joe reboot, or even a Transformers reboot. Finding a new way to tell the story that'll gain public attention and won't feel like it's already been done or is rehashing previous material. This is why Spider-man Homecoming did so well, and the Amazing Spider-man series only did so-so. One was a rehash, while the other felt like a completely new fresh take that didn't completely retread on the origin or of stories already told. They tried that before with TMNT though with the CG movie, and it didn't really click with audiences as much as it could have, but then the CG series tried that again with a better spin and it did click with audiences, so who knows how it may get approached.

Personally, I don't think the transformers movies are devoid of life yet though. With some of the new concepts presented, and ample story room to go, so long as they find the right way to package it for wide audience appeal, they can easily bring it back to full potential. And a big chunk of that is finding a new hook and a way to make it easily accessible to wide audiences with still progressing the world they've built. Bumblebee is definitely one part of that equation, the next part is finding something else that's part of Bumblebee's history that's got as much fan want attached to it on a wider scale. That'll bring the movies back if this film does well. If this movie flops though, then it may officially be time to go back to the drawing board and see what can be done to make something that will get audience attention and doesn't feel like a complete retread of stuff already done. But one of the biggest merchandising draws of AOE besides Dinobots was Evasion mode Prime, and this Bumblebee movie is essentially "evasion mode Bumblebee" with his VW form.

So I'm personally expecting at least a mildly profitable theater run to then a very profitable merchandising run. Merchandising does play a big factor too. If a future movie with the right hook can push large volumes of toys, it's likely to happen and will. But the franchise does need a rest for a bit. That was one of the perks to the previous movies. There was time between them for demand for more to build. So a little rest isn't a bad thing. Over-saturated product and presence can get stale as it wears audiences out from seeing it too much. But building up that demand with kids to re-instill that sense of awe and wonder could do big things. So Cyberverse could in theory prep audiences for a later follow up movie as more kids begin to look at it in wonder and wanting to see another new live action adventure. Which means likely removing some of the Bay style stuff, and building off of Bumblebee's new take that gets away from and removes the running gags of the previous 5 films, and gets more family friendly in the humor and awe moments. Not PG style, but not so much juvenile/puberty humor and better balance. The movies were products of their time, and it's time to evolve. That doesn't mean reboot, that means evolve how it's approached. Though a reboot may be needed eventually, it's generally better to treat it like Star Wars. No reboots, but approach it from new directions to create something cohesive that grows.

There's other issues involved too, including trying to do an HCU and how that will likely need a reboot, but if that's the case, better to fully plot it all out. Let TF6 and 7 happen, let GI Joe 3 happen, then use those 3 films to buy time to do a franchise wide reboot to do the HCU right from planning it out and plotting it out from the start to slow build it and hit the key "phase" milestones on anniversary years.

There's a whole other discussion about how suits scoffed at that concept early on until Marvel did it. There's a funny story about that. That those suits at Paramount are probably kicking themselves now about. Especially considering a big part of where Marvel got the idea from was early hasbro cartoons that had a lightly connected HCU mixed with the concept of old school B&W serial movies that were installment chapters.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. NominusDP

NominusDP Liking Shockwave is very logical

I have very little faith in the Bee movie , the only thing it will reinvigorate is my disappointment with the films

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Heavy Metal Flamewar

News Credits:
    Never trust a man who dresses like a four year old.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I don't think Bumblebee is trying to top box office or set a new financial record. It's just trying to give a memorable movie at the moment. If they stop at Bumblebee, they'll be giving a good send off to the Bayverse. Despite all the negativity nowadays, Transformers Live Action Movie Series helped to establish the Franchise on countries that didn't even knew there's a franchise called Transformers in the first place. If Bumblebee movie ends on a positive note, they'll just do similar low budget spinoffs or just wait few more years and reboot. Nevertheless, there won't be any Transformers movies for 3 or 4 years. Honestly speaking, this whole Movie Universe thing didn't really worked out well for anyone other than Marvel/Disney in recent years. Even the Star Wars franchise has reached what is known as Franchise Fatigue.

I'm very surprised that most people say Bayverse didn't add anything to the franchise. But when you look at the world outside US and UK, Bayverse is the entity which singlehandedly introduced the franchise to the modern audience and paved the way for Generations and TV content there. Imagine how much of a powerful force it is.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Finally.
    I turned forty last year.
    I could do with some reinvigorating.

9. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kind of hurt that they took Bay's designs to the 80's. It's like they're trying to insult my nastalgia completely. Sigh.

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nastalgia: When one remembers the past but is always nasty about it.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You got me, thanks for the laugh!:D 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Under the old Paramount leadership Bumblebee just making a tidy little profit would have been enough. The place on the box office chart wouldn't matter as much as getting to spike the football for a win of getting a domestic box office run that is higher than film's budget and a good box office run overseas.

But the new leadership seems determined that they are going to bury everything the old leadership had a hand in. A movie like The Cloverfield Paradox got sold to Netflix because the new leadership had zero faith in the movie at the box office. Annihilation didn't get much of a marketing push dooming it to failure. I'm sure the numbers will be horrible for Sherlock Gnomes because it hasn't been pushed by the new leadership. That's why I think Bumblebee would have to do something insane like top the yearly box office for the new leadership to save something that was the darling of the old leadership.

13. King Glurch

King Glurch It’s Christmas again, Starscream!

YouTube:
    I'm not feeling very reinvigorated.

14. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Does it see into me clearly? or darkly?

News Credits:
    The people that say this are the ones that feel like their "childhood was raped."

They vehemently deny any sort of positive addition that Bay provided the franchise. Even with facts, they call it a spin.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  15. MengHao

MengHao Well-Known Member

Even if it was about wrestling I wouldn’t really take his word for it. :) .

I like the TF movies for what they are, entertainment. I don’t think hasbro gets it with TF to be honest. If this helps get more funding for my generations toys, I’m all for it’s success!

• Like Like x 3
  16. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    They made Transformers a household name. They provided enough income to revamp and continue the Masterpiece line. They introduced figures with incredible engineering that trasnferred to other lines. They have done more positive for this franchise than negative.

• Like Like x 4
  17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Oops, sorry :lol 
    And I just went with the flow and told on you.
    How do you unreport a post :/

• Like Like x 2
  19. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    Dunno! Let's see what happens together!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    How adventurous :lol 

• Like Like x 2