Job hunting advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFfanmaiku, Nov 9, 2012.

1. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

I was wondering if someone could give me any advice for job hunting. I just got fired from this one job for B.S. reasons and I like to find a new one right away. Any advice is welcomed just as long as it is helpful and not trolling. I live in Illinios if your wondering. Mods if you feel an answer trolling please delete it. Thank you for any help given.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    How good are you at taking criticism? Where do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

First, move out of Illinois. If you're not willing to relocate, then you limit your options. There are many more states that are more economically friendly.

4. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

How so?

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly at this point, the best advice I can give about this sort of thing is to constantly be checking for new jobs that come up & to apply for lots of them. Have a general resume ready for template use, but gear your wording/order/etc toward specific jobs, and do whatever you can to learn about what you're actually applying for (the field as well as the company) because it'll not only make your application easier to do, but it'll also make your interview go better.

Like, I'm by no means an expert on any of this, but I recently got a job after hunting for quite a while, and I think one of the reasons I got hired was because I came off as an honest person & because I had something to say when I got asked what I knew about the company. I also made it a point to say that I enjoy work environments where people are dedicated because of the positive atmosphere it creates, but even simply googing companies goes a long way.

Also as Aernaroth mentioned, understanding what you can offer & what you've gotta work on is key too (and by extension if there's a specific field or skill that you wanna gear yourself toward), and the same goes for being able to stay in the hunt, even after getting shot down lots. Like for me, one of the hardest parts about being unemployed was the abuse I received from people as a result, and while I'm normally a mellow person, it affected me quite a bit. However once I overcame that (and of course once I started getting lucky haha), things worked out in my favor. Heck, even after I got my job I had others call me (one of which from an application that was 2+months old), so we've just gotta stay in the game.

6. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Whenever you go to a job interview dress like you want it; business suit or at least a nice pressed pair of slacks and a button down shirt with a tie. Whatever you do, do not wear any scented colognes, deodorants, aftershave, or lotions, if you do, you might be wearing your interviewer's ex's favorite scent and that's not going to go over well. Try to learn something about the company's history so that the interviewer knows you're interested and familiar with the company but don't be a suck up.

7. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

One tip I have from very recent experience: When you get an interview, be sure to visit the company's website and learn about them (specifically on the 'About Us' page). Every interview I've been to in the last couple months has included being asked "So what do you know about <our company>?".

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    1) Are you willing to work at places you dislike/hate?
    2a) If yes to #1, then apply EVERYWHERE, even if they're not hiring.
    2b) If no to #1, then apply only to places you think you'd like/prefer to work, even if they're not hiring.
    3) Repeat either 2a or 2b until a job lands.

9. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Don't quit, just keep looking and be prepared for interviews.

10. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the past 2 or 3 months the company I work for has been actively trying to hire a couple new people for my department. At this point I am one of the more senior employees so I've been included into the hiring process; basically reading resumes and taking part in interviews with potential candidates. I've never had to do any of this sort of manager-level work before but after this experience here are some things I've noticed:

-Keep your resume concise. Generally speaking try to fill at least 1 page but if you can help it try to stay under 2 full pages.

-Related to the above: Employers look at the timeline of your work history and don't want to see big gaps. Also, when it comes to listing your work history leave off stuff that is irrelevant to the position you are applying for, namely things like the job you had during highschool or college. Example: If you are applying for a position as a software developer, your potential employer doesn't need to know that you worked for a summer at Pizza Hut. Only include unrelated jobs like that on your history if you need to fill space or if it fills a gap between other relevant jobs on your resume.

-Dress for success. Even if you are told that you don't have to dress up for an interview, do it anyway. Nice clothes and good personal hygiene show your interviewers that you are serious about wanting the job and put them at ease about the possibility that you won't integrate well into the work environment (aka because you smell like ass).

-Mind your behaviour before, during, and after interviews. I'm not sure how to explain what I mean so I'll just relay this little story to you. I called an applicant in for an interview. When the guy arrived the receptionist took him back to the office where we were doing the interviews and asked him to wait there while she went and got me. About 2 minutes later I walked in to interview the guy and found him sitting behind the desk (aka in my chair) with his feet up on top of the desk, chewing gum, and talking to one of his friends on his cell phone. I politely waited for him to hang up, which he was apparently in no hurry to do, and then I asked him to leave without even asking him a question.

-Google yourself! Make sure there's nothing floating around the web that you don't want an employer to see.

That's all I got. Every employer is different of course but the stuff I listed I think is pretty universal.

11. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

This man speaks the truth.

12. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This and don't get discouraged and think of going to staffing agencies, even though a job maybe a few weeks its still a paycheck.