JLA: Tower Of Babel

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Oct 2, 2011.

1. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Since There is another DC Animated film coming out next year Titled Justice League Doom, http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/movie...e-cast-justice-league-doom-animated-film.html

I am going to talk about Mark Waid's "Tower of Babel".

[​IMG]

Tower of Babel deals with Batman's perceived betrayal to the superhuman community by keeping records concerning the strengths and weaknesses of his allies in the JLA, including plans to neutralise his allies in a fight. His files are stolen by Ra's al Ghul, who uses them to defeat the League through a coordinated attack to prevent them from interfering with his latest scheme.

Great writing though, including Dialouge.

Most of the League is temporarily defeated early in the story:

Martian Manhunter is covered with nanites that convert the outer layer of his skin into magnesium, causing him to burst into flame (fire being his greatest weakness) upon exposure to air. He later survives by wearing an airtight water-filled suit provided by Aquaman, then waiting until he can shed enough skin cells to function normally. Batman didn't anticipate this strategy because he never expected Martian Manhunter to survive so long.

Aquaman is rendered hydrophobic due to an altered form of the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Without water, he would die in a matter of hours. Martian Manhunter uses his telepathy to generate an illusion of him in a desert when hydrating him in a tank full of water, although he is forced to more directly help Aquaman overcome the effects of the toxin when he regains consciousness in the tank before the serum wears off.

Plastic Man is frozen solid, then shattered by a hammer by one of Ra's al Ghul' henchmen. Afterward, Flash reassembles him, allowing Plastic Man to recover.

Green Lantern is rendered blind by his own power ring from a post-hypnotic suggestion introduced while he was asleep and the ring placed on him at night. As an artist, Kyle is unable to function without his vision to guide the ring's power, but he is able to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion after his ring is temporarily removed and the methods behind the attack are explained to him.

Thanks to a nanite injected into her ear, Wonder Woman is trapped in a virtual reality battle against an opponent whom she cannot defeat and is her equal in every way. Her refusal to surrender under any circumstance would eventually cause her heart to fail. The nanite is removed by Plastic Man after he recovers.

A specially designed "vibra-bullet" strikes Flash in the back of the neck, causing him to experience seizures at light speed before it is removed by Superman's heat vision. Although only exposed to the weapon for 22 minutes, Wally's relativistic speed makes the experience feel like months.

Superman's skin becomes transparent after exposure to red kryptonite, an artificial creation of Batman's made by exposing a green kryptonite sample to radiation developed in the event of him simply wanting to stop Superman for a while rather than actually killing him. As Superman is powered by solar energy, his skin's transparency causes a sensory overload by his internal organs' direct exposure to sunlight without his skin as a proper solar filter to the extent that he can hear conversations on Earth while he himself is located on the moon.

Wow.

Anyway, in my word, A tremendous storyline about Betrayal, Fear, and The English language in reverse.

I am so stoked that Dwayne McDuffie wrote the Screenplay based on the book right before he died. Im crossing my fingers for Tom Kenny As Plastic Man in the Movie.

2. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

Great read. This lead to Batman being kicked out iirc, yes?

3. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    I dont recall

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes Bats got kicked off for awhile.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    He got kicked off for like an arc :lol  and in that arc, they realized they needed Batman, who of course, helped bail them out. What I'm wondering is, will they end the movie the same way they ended Tower of Babel, with Batman leaving and the League not knowing what comes next.

6. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I love the Morrison JLA. I'm excited to see the cartoon.

7. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Morrison should write Transformers Comics.

8. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I love the Morrison JLA as well, but this book was the first arc by incoming writer Mark Waid. To me, the book didn't skip a beat.

9. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

Tower of Babel is awesome. This movie will not be as its only loosely based on the source material :( 

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How loosely based?

11. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ra's al Ghul is replaced by the Legion of Doom (consisting of Vandal Savage, Star Sapphire, Cheetah, Bane, Metallo, Mirror Master, and Ma'alefa'ak), Wally West and Kyle Rayner have been replaced by Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, and Cyborg will play some role in the storyline. That's all I know in regards to major changes.

Me, I'm going to wait for the film to actually be released before I condemn it.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ah ok, I knew the villians didn't seem right :lol .

13. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could you talk a bit more about the book without resorting to a massive copy and paste job from Wiki?

Have you actually read the book? It's one of two main talking points (the other being Batman's trust issues) and pretty hard to forget the ending.

Shame they couldn't go with the original story, it was self-contained enough to work for the film.

14. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Most likely this was another attempt to just up his thread count :p 

15. wheeljack01

A little off topic, but did anyone follow the JLA book after Obsidian age? That was my last arc of JLA, while it wasn't bad it just seemed to bore me. I really need to read it again, since I am a Joe Kelly fan and loved his earlier JLA work. I did come back in time to read the infinite crisis arc written by Geoff Johns which dealt with all the mindwiping.

16. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

They replaced Aquaman with Cyborg. This is enough for this Aquaman fan to condemn it *nerdrage*

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

No.

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I did, it was pretty boring after that, they got John Byrne and Claremont for an arc, Busiek and Garney, and then I think it was pretty much a rotating cast of fill-ins and event tie-ups till they cancelled it and relaunched it with Meltzer and Benes (which was really horrible when you compare it to the Morrison/Porter run) They never really got on track and then came another set of fill-ins. I pretty much don't remember anything until Robinson came in, but his run was even worse. DC really ruined the title by making all these changes to their big name characters rendering them unusable and making JLA similar to the time during the early/mid 90s when practically none of the big names were on it. Cancelling it was just a matter of time at that rate.

19. wheeljack01

I knew about Byrne\Claremont reuniting for JLA, which was supposedly very disappointing. That in itself if very disappointing because their x-men run was nothing short of amazing.

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Very interesting....Sound like an awesome storyline.