JiangXing JX-01 Metailbeast Winged Dragon

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Booster Gold, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    JiangXing are a new entry on the 3rd party scene (right?) and JX-01 Metailbeast(sic) Winged Dragon is their first figure(I think?)...and what an ambitious first figure it is! Essential what we have is an MP scale and style Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Megatron.

So...first things first....

Packaging
    I don't normally comment all that much on packaging....and I wont really now more than to say this is a very professional job. The massive box is decorate with artwork that both mimics TakaraTomy's Masterpiece Beast Wars Boxes and the artwork, lettering and iconography used on the original Beast Wars packaging. Both the dragon tail and neck/head sections arrive unattached...which is a bit of a pain because attaching both is a bit troublesome! I recommend using a hairdryer on the tail ball socket to expand it a bit before you attempt it. Elsewhere in the black foam inserts that house this figure you'll find two flame accessories, four additional face plates, an instruction booklet (that's right a stapled booklet, that's more like it!) and a rather nifty lenticular collectors card (that switches between robot and beast mode as you move it).

IMG_9419.jpg IMG_9765.jpg IMG_9767.jpg IMG_9768.jpg

Robot Mode
    This is one big beautiful bastard. At over 13 inches tall (it sort of varies depending on how you have his wings deployed) he towers over all the Beast Wars MPs thus far including the season 1 version of himself. The deco on this guy in both modes is exquisite. The instruction manual describe it as "Lacquer curtain coating method and high-quality metallic paint" which results in a luxurious glossy metallic finish that perfectly emulates both the vac-metal chrome-like finish of the Transmetal figures but also the deep metallic reds and purples seen in Beast Wars season 3 and to a certain extent Beast Machines. On top of that we have many gold highlights and very pretty dark sliver/black metallic die-cast used on his claws and 'kneepads'. On top of that the sculpt is fan-bloody-tastic! JiangXing have both nailed the onscreen appearance of Transmetal 2 Megatron as well as reflect the detailing of the orignal toy. It's a great balance, The powerful proportions from the show are complimented by sculpted mechanical and organic detailing of the original toy. The head sculpt is just as impressive, the surrounding helmet recreates the show look very well and below that we have his head with its thorny detailing and gold accents. The outer 'surround' of this can be removed to change between the five face plates included. I have my favourites but all five look fantastic, from a rather standard grimace, to gritted teeth, a wide grin, a sharp-toothed snarl and...of course.. his trademark 'yes' expression. All five capture the character of Megatron perfectly and give the robot mode the extra expressiveness we've come to expect from Beast Wars Masterpieces. Indeed the only only place I find him lacking, and this is so nitpicky its untrue, is he had a rather scrawny neck...but that's hidden from most angles.

Standard a stance comparison photos:
    IMG_9450.jpg IMG_9446.jpg IMG_9443.jpg

Now then... the price you pay for this breathtaking deco is what? Yup you guessed it paint chipping. It's a fairly common problem these days with high end Transformers be the official or not, but I have to say in this case it's rampant. Unfortunately due to the fact the ENTIRE figure (even the parts you'll never see) has essentially been lacquered in gorgeous metallic paint AND the clearances between moving parts are very tight or none existent where parts rub against each other, whether it be by posing the figure or transforming it, paint will and does scuff and chip. There's no two ways about it....it's disappointing to say the least. If you're the sort that like to regularly pose and/or transform your figures, or like to actually play with them, or are a little heavy handed then this might not be the figure for you. I've also found with my copy, and noticed on others, that the otherwise gorgeously painted wing sections are marred slightly on the undersides (the side face you on the shelf 90% of the time) by blemishes and scratches. These are not obvious from every angle an the severity seems to vary from copy to copy but it's not ideal.

Sorry...but in the interest of balance here are some ugly photos
    IMG_20191022_084333298.jpg IMG_9725.JPG IMG_9723.JPG IMG_9722.jpg IMG_9718.jpg IMG_9716.jpg

The materials, hardware and build are almost outrageously high in quality. This actually feels more high end than you're average official Masterpiece. The plastics are ridged and heavy duty, die-cast is used generously and sensibly and the joints that need to be ratcheted or strong to hold up this very heavy figure are just that. Impressively the weight of the wings and and tail do not cause the figure to topple over backwards, and this is largely due the the strength of the joints in his hips legs and ankles. Even more amazing is he can stand on one leg with ease!

IMG_9495.jpg IMG_9497.jpg

The articulation is both excellent and sympathetic to the sculpt...something often missing on more modern MPs. He had all the articulation you need... double jointed elbows and knees, universal joints at the hips and shoulders, bicep and thigh swivels, waist swivel, ab crunch and ankle rockers...plus the extravagance of individually articulated fingers and toes (both at numerous knuckles and laterally), ball-jointed shoulder pads, many ball joints in the dragon neck and an outstanding range of wing articulation (more on this later). He doesn't have butterfly joints but I can't say I feel like he meeds them, plus I'd rather that than have the chest or shoulder sculpt compromised by it. The only place where I find his articulation compromised is the head. Due to the design the dragon tail hangs from the back of his head like a robotic ponytail...and it's understandably cumbersome. In addition to that the spines that sit either side of his head/pony tail hinder this further. His actual head articulation is fine, but it's difficult to fully utilise it.

IMG_9568.jpg IMG_9560.jpg IMG_9552.jpg IMG_9466.jpg IMG_9470.jpg IMG_9478.jpg IMG_9524.jpg IMG_9578.jpg IMG_9433.jpg

The gimmicks/accessories available in robot mode are two..of maybe three fold. For a start we have the electronics, three AG10 watch style batteries can be inserted under a panel on the top of the dragon head to power LEDs inside the head. A switch on the back of the head allows you to switch between red and blue/white light (and off) which shines VERY brightly through the dragon eyes and mouth. I'm not big on electronics but this looks awesome in both modes...probably more so in beast mode especially when you make use of.. the flame effects. Winged Dragon comes with two translucent plastic flame effects, one red and one blue to represent fire and ice breath. These can be attached to the connector in the mouth and illuminated by the aforementioned LEDs.

IMG_9524.jpg IMG_9530.jpg IMG_9534.jpg IMG_9546.jpg IMG_9540.jpg

Secondly or thirdly JX gave Winged Dragon a second slightly oversized hand!? Im not sure why its oversized but its nice to have the option. Remove the top part of dragon neck/head and inside the lower section is a flip out fully articulated fist. The neck and head can then be mounted on his forearm to in a nod to G1 Megatron's fusion canon. Its not too dissimilar to what Perfect Effect did with their Mega Doragon and It looks pretty cool!

IMG_9484.jpg IMG_9490.jpg IMG_9489.JPG IMG_9514.jpg IMG_9520.jpg

Transformation
    I'm finding as the collectors market move more towards show accuracy, articulation and high end decos transformations are becoming less enjoyable... now that is very likely just me. I see a lot of people describing transformations I've found joyless and unpleasant as 'involved' or 'puzzle-like' and found that enjoyable. Winged Dragon isn't one of those but it's certainly not my idea of a good time either. The transformation although reasonably simple is ungainly and cumbersome, mostly due to the many moving parts and the figures size/bulk. Added to that, the all over paint job, many limited clearances and troublesomely tight joints make transforming this figure frustrating and terrifying in equal measure. For example, on mine, the armatures you need to swing out to tab into the top of the dragon neck were so tight and gummed up with paint that I had to loosen the screws holding them in place and one was so tight I mashed up the head of the screw attempting to do so! My thumbs felt bruised after transforming this monster. That aside everything locks satisfyingly in place and the results can't be knocked...but due to the damage I could cause (and have caused) to the paint I'm not sure I'll do it all that often. Oh... and bits fall off when you transform him.

It seems JiangXing need to get a better batch of glue.
    IMG_20191022_094439439.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Beast Mode
    Now when I got this figure (which comes packaged in robot mode) I looked at the breathtaking robot mode and though "I'm not sure I want or need to transform this", and given the trouble I had with the transformation when I finally got around to it I wasn't sure it would be worth it. Well...I was wrong it was totally worth it. I honestly can't say which mode is better, the dragon mode is monstrous both in proportions and appearance. The sculpt and deco is once again flawless...deep metallic red, purple and gold paint covers almost every surface, many of which exhibiting sculpted dragon scales or mechanical detailing and the crowning glory his beastly headsculpt, he just looks so evil. The combination of colours and sculpt here is fantastic... very show accurate and very imposing.

IMG_9582.jpg IMG_9672.jpg IMG_9678.jpg IMG_9690.jpg IMG_9697.jpg IMG_9705.jpg

The articulation is once again more than you could ask for, especially for an alt-mode. The legs and feet are essentially the same as robot mode, albeit in a wider stance to accommodate the dragon belly. Being able to splay out and curl up the talons on the feet can both help with stability and make for some excellent poses. The same is also true of his 'hands', now the robot mode arm(s) is hidden away two new 'arms' complete with die-cast claws are on display. These are fully posable at the shoulder, elbows, wrists and the four upper claws are individually articulated allowing them to move up down and side to side....they look great and are extremely expressive, which is actually something sadly missing from MP-43 Megatron (as is good articulation in beast mode full stop). The five ball joints in the neck and the wide opening mouth add to this expressiveness making this mode as much an action figure as the robot mode, as does the ball-jointed tail which comes into its own here...and then there's the wings. In both modes the five wing sections in each wing are fully articulated, they spread out to open the wings as well as forward and back, what's more there as three different joints in the 'arms' supporting them AND the 'spikes' at the apex of the wings move on a further two joints. All this makes for an incredible range of movement which is just as well as they might otherwise get in the way or throw the figure of balance.

IMG_9597.jpg IMG_9601.jpg IMG_9606.jpg IMG_9622.jpg IMG_9636.jpg IMG_9645.jpg IMG_9649(1).jpg IMG_9657.jpg IMG_9666.jpg IMG_9709.JPG
    The gimmicks in dragon mode are the lights and the flame effects... and boy do that look AMAZING.

IMG_9628(1).jpg IMG_9632(2).jpg IMG_9612.jpg IMG_9625.jpg IMG_9737.jpg IMG_9734.jpg IMG_9653.jpg

Verdict
    In summary the appearance of this figure is frankly breathtaking...I cannot overstate the presence this figure has, it looks phenomenal and poses wonderfully. My photos simply do not do it justice, in hand it is jaw-droppingly beautiful from just about ever angle. It's easily as imposing and impressive to look at as any official MP and a great counterpart to MP-43 Megatron... indeed it blows my mind that this is actually cheaper! I honestly can't imagine anyone, even TakaraTomy, putting out a MP-style TM2 Megatron that tops this in presence. The sculpt, articulation and presentation of this figure are flawless and the gimmicks and accessories are well executed and add value. I love this figure.

BUT...and there is a but... more than any MP-style figure I've ever experienced the paint brittle and easy to damage. Paint WILL be damaged as you manipulate/transform it, it's unavoidable and that's a real bummer. I'm gonna have to wait and see how that deco holds out over the coming months before I give it my full seal of approval. I'm also not to hot on the wing blemishes (I've been in concat with JX about this and they say its 'intended'?!). I do hope JX listen to fan feedback and avoid these paint issue on their next release... which I believe is their take on Tigerhawk, which I am totally on board with.

So in short it's a strong recommend from me but with one caveat, If you're the sort of collector that likes to regularly manipulate, pose and/or transform you figures the paint job is gonna cause you issues. Personally I tend to put the figure through it's paces for a few days, pose it on display and then very infrequently go back and repose or transform it....so I'm hoping I'm gonna be ok, because right now it's one of if not the best looking figure on my shelves.

Edit: Ok so I did say "I'm gonna have to wait and see how that deco holds out over the coming months before I give it my full seal of approval." and I can happily confirm that the figure still looks flipping amazing, however I don't do an awful lot with him. I've only gone from robot to dragon and back again once. I've had him on display in both modes and reposed him numerous times and although there is some paint damage it is minimal. Paint chipping aide he is probably the best 3P figure I've ever owned.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  3. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Hm. For the price, I certainly wouldn’t expect pieces falling off that soon and easily, particularly as you say how high quality it looks/feels.

What’s the transformation like? I remember TM2 Megs being a bastard to transform, and presumably this more or less copies it. Dragon arm looks rather long too, shame they couldn’t find a way to shorten it in bot mode.

And how many 3P versions of TM2 Megs are there now? This one, the rather Zoid like version in one of the pics, and a mini one by PerfectEffect?

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Despite the quality issues I'm still really tempted to get this guy, but for $330 this much paint chipping and bits falling off is really disappointing.

But it's so gorgeous, and the best looking Dragon Megs out there. Are there any obvious problem areas beyond the ones you pointed out? Could strategic clear coating perhaps prevent these issues?

• Like Like x 1
  5. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Booster did you have difficulty attaching the tail to the back of megatron's head?
    edit: DISREGARD Booster I figured it out LMAO!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    The part that fell off are due to a bit of 'poor gluing', the actually materials are of the highest quality I've experience in any Transformers figure. I think JX just need to work on their bonding agents for next time.

Like I say in the review transformation is actually pretty simple....sorta, it just involves some tight clearances and incredibly tight joints. My thumbs hurt after the first time die to the pressure i had to put on some parts to get then moving. the length of the dragon arm doesn't bother me at all, seems just right to me.

This is the second 3P TM2 Megatron. The 'Zoid' looking one is Perfect Effect and the upcoming legends one is by Iron Factory. I prefer this to PE's version (and have now sold it), the size, deco and presence blow it out of the water. However PE's it's a more satisfying 'toy', it's much more tactile, robust and fun to play about with. Winged Dragon is much more of a display piece.

$330!? I paid £160. I still think he's better value than say...MP-43 Megatron. I've had no serious issues past those I've mentioned and like I said on balance I'm really happy with him. Clear coating some areas might help but mostly the issue are due to clearances that would also wear down the clear coat. I hope JX improve their paint apps and clearances on the second run and/or their next release.

Yes I had loads of trouble! Its in the review. I recommended using a hairdryer on the tail ball socket to expand it a bit before you attempt it, but it sounds like you got there your own way.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Member

[​IMG]

Excelent review, I think it would be great if you could indicate where these pieces go to know what to be careful with

8. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Sure here you go...

IMG_9510.JPG IMG_20191022_094439439.jpg

They'll all glue back in place with no issue. As for the screw? I still have no idea where it came from!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Member

Thank a lot! The remaining screw is funny and terrifying at the same time

• Like Like x 1
  10. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I've transformed him forward and back since the screw dropped out and nothing is loose. I wonder if it was just extra screw that found it's way into my copy's chest cavity. I'm really not overly worried.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

How's he look with Beast Gorira?

12. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    I sold mine as a result of getting this so i can do you any comparison photos, but they look sorta ok together. This guy is bigger, more show accurate and more painted so they don't work perfectly together. Id be interested to see if JiangXing do their own version.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I would love it if JiangXing did Optimal Optimus too

• Like Like x 3
  14. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    I hope they do TM2 Dinobot after Tigerhawk!

I just got mine he looks amazing!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. WenDMegs

WenDMegs New Member

Twitter:
    I'm tempted to get this figure, as it's currently available on one of the online shopping site in my country. However, upon reading this review, kinda makes me worried. In overall, is he worth it?

16. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Yes...I though I made that clear. I've added this to the review now its been some time since I got him.

Edit: Ok so I did say "I'm gonna have to wait and see how that deco holds out over the coming months before I give it my full seal of approval." and I can happily confirm that the figure still looks flipping amazing, however I don't do an awful lot with him. I've only gone from robot to dragon and back again once. I've had him on display in both modes and reposed him numerous times and although there is some paint damage it is minimal. Paint chipping aide he is probably the best 3P figure Ive ever owned.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WenDMegs

WenDMegs New Member

Twitter:
    Thanks. And sorry for asking a seemingly redundant question previously, because English is not my first language, and on another thread regarding this figure, I read that some are outright canceling their preorders, coupled with the picture of snapped leg part here. But all in all, judging from your review here, and a couple of video reviews I found on YouTube, I think I'll get this guy soon. Once again, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    No problem. I can't speak for the second run, which does have some differences from the first(and seemingly more fragility), but all in all my first run copy was well worth getting and quite possibly the centre piece of my collection.

• Like Like x 2
  19. WenDMegs

WenDMegs New Member

Twitter:
    Hello again, thanks to your review here, and coincidentally the reputable online store in our country have few one in stock, I ended up really buying it. I posted here.
    Welp, if I gotta quarantine, might at least get this to keep me occupied on my free time, I think. Hahah. Once again, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Excellent! I'm glad to have helped. I hope you enjoy the figure as much a I do.

• Like Like x 1