Minor/Repaint: Jhiaxus and his Army

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Housewife2000, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

I love, love, love the Marvel G2 comic. I first discovered it when I randomly found issue 11 in a comic shop when I was about 13, and its over-the-top, 90s madness blew my tiny teenage mind.

The Generations Jhiaxus toy didn't quite scratch my G2 itch, so I set about customising a more Marvel accurate figure. The head was perfect, but to my mind the colour scheme and lithe build stray too far from the original. Step forward FOC Starscream's body! I customised the neck joint from the Generations figure so it would fit on the FOC collar socket (the original Screamer head went here). I removed all the blue paint from the body using isopropyl alcohol (first time I'd ever tried this!) and then added some appropriate green and yellow using citadel paints, along with some G2 stickers from Reprolabels and the Generations figure’s guns.

Word of warning: after stripping the paint, the joint on the outer side of the left knee snapped, leaving the whole knee floppy. I bought a second junker body, and the same thing happened again! I've read now of similar knee snaps from right out the box. I've tightened up the working side of the joint with nail polish, but the left knee is always going to be looser than I'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I worked on Jhiaxus, I started thinking about which other figures I could group with him to represent a kind of “Generations G2” army. For me, the IDW Dead Universe gang and the Marvel G2 Cybertronians feel like iterations of the same idea: mad expansionists who left Cybertron long ago to conquer the stars – and eventually come back to harass the contemporary ‘bots and ‘cons. There’s even a strong parallel between their leaders: the Liege Maximo claims to be an ancestor of Megatron’s Decepticons and while Furman once seemingly intended to bring him into IDW during Devastation, he instead introduced Nova Prime, whose expansionist ideology makes him, at least politically, a forerunner to the Decepticons. His “spark splicing” program even mirrors the Liege’s “budding” process. In my head, they’re different versions of the same dude.

So, with a little repurposing and repainting, I started putting together an 'all continuities' army, featuring all the named characters from the original comics run. and even including the characters introduced in the Cybertron and ReGen continuities who can relate back to Jiaxus. (Finally my Power Core Combiners have a home!) While I don't have the skills to repaint everyone in the Marvel G2 white/teal/cyan scheme, or the exact IDW colours, I tried to unify their look with more G2 symbols and some small “allspark blue” paint apps on figures without that colour already present.

MARVEL G2 (1993)

[​IMG]

The Liege Maximo / Nova Prime (G2 / Dead Universe)

I got Maketoy’s Nova a few years back and absolutely love his look. He’s the perfect Nova, but obviously not a great Maximo… until you add an alternate head made from Energon Bruticus! My Bruticus now has the Fansproject head attached, so this was going spare and has the right triangle mouthpiece and hint of horns. I attached a spare cannon from a Fakebusker Shapeways set to give him a neck that fits snugly into the gap left when you fold Nova’s head back on its transformation joint. In my head-canon, the Liege Maximo glimpsed at the end of the G2 comic is Nova Prime wearing a control helmet that plugs him into The Hub.

[​IMG]

Rook (G2 / Regeneration One)
    Takara’s version of PCC Searchlight fits the bill: he’s all the right colours, and even sports a similar shaped helmet. Add a couple of faction stickers and a head repaint to match the comic, and you have a decent stand in for Jhiaxus’ second-in-command.

[​IMG]

Mindset / Hailstorm (G2)
    According to the TFwiki, Hailstorm was inspired by G2 Mindset, and he was later recoloured with a new head as RtS Mindset. Since I had Hailstorm already, and he looks more “evil Decepticon” that his repaint (who I don’t have), he makes the team.

Sledge & Steamhammer / Roadblock & Grave Digger (G2)
    These guys are stand-ins for the G2 Transformers seen cyber-forming planets in the first issue of the Marvel comic, right before Grimlock’s team brutally kill them all. They’ve got the “aggressive construction vehicle” look down to a T. Since I already have Energon Sledge and Steamhammer in my main Decepticon collection, I'm using the United EX naming scheme (more of which in a minute), and thus dub these two Roadblock and Gravedigger respectively.

CYBERTRON - PLANET X (2005)
    The Planet X characters in the Cybertron series are – at least according to Ask Vector Prime – related to the Cybertronian Empire, and I like the idea that they are the survivors after the Empire falls (in some version of Alignment / Dark Cybertron). ‘Planet X’ would even make a good code name for the Hub. (It's a bit of a continuity stretch, but G2 ends with Megs a tank and Prime a long nosed truck, right where Armada picks up...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sideways (Armada)
    In Western fiction, Armada Sideways is Cybertron Sideways, so I decided I wanted to include a version of the Armada character. The smallest bike TF I have is the Classics Minicon Dirt Rocket - who also happens to be purple and yellow.

Noisemaze (Cybertron)
    I also wanted a version of Cybertron Sideways in there, and I love his Japanese name, so in my head, he's actually Sideways' brother, Noisemaze. Since his gimmick is switching factions, I decided he should keep the traditional ‘bot and ‘con symbols on his weapon, and now has a hidden G2 symbol within his chest / canopy. He also bares a passing similarity to this guy from G2:

[​IMG]

Soundwave (Cybertron)
    I love the Voyager toy, but it’s a little too big for the smallish Have Blue plane, particularly alongside these other jet fighter figures. So I’ve gone with the Legends toy, representing more of a small drone plane, in a nod to his Prime counterpart. Plus, I’ve always like the idea that Soundwave – in any of his incarnations – is about the size of the Autobot cars rather than the Decepticon jets (it makes him the only ’84 con the same size as most of the ‘bots, and it makes his cassettes roughly human-sized, which I really like). I haven't made my mind up yet whether he should be the original Soundwave who's defected to the Empire, or whether he's a separate character ("Soundblaster" perhaps?) who in a similar fashion to other G2 'cons, shares a common ancestor with a G1 counterpart (ala Onslaught and Mindset).

Unicron (Cybertron)
    I love the idea that when the Cybertronian Empire falls, they're so desperate that they turn to this guy for help, who’s a regular-sized avatar of Unicron.

IDW DEAD UNIVERSE (2006)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've used the Ark 1 crew manifest from tfwiki to put together this team: as above, we have Nova Prime and Jhiaxus.

Then an unchanged Generations Scourge, a Universe Cyclonus with a silver face and my custom Galvatron (Radicon thread here). I’ve decided not to muddy things with G2 faction symbols on these latter three, as they're stand-ins for both the original G1 versions and their IDW Dead Universe selves, depending on who’s getting display time on my shelf.

Heavytread & Ice Pick / Grindcore & Straxus
    In Japan, Heavytread was repainted (and repurposed) under the United EX line as “Tankmaster”, aka Grindcore, and Ice Pick as “Rollermaster” aka Straxus. Grindcore and Straxus are both Dead Universe soldiers who appear in IDW’s Devastation. Symbol swaps and some red on Heavytread’s eyes complete the job! Admittedly, Straxus looks the least like his IDW self, with a very different alt mode and colour scheme, but the United EX tie is enough for me. Maybe he left Cybertron in this body, and was rebuilt at some point.

Additional nerd note! The definitive Straxus for me is the Marvel G1 version, best represented by the awesome Generations toy. IDW Straxus is less impressive a character, but since a more classic-looking Straxus cameos in the background in Megatron Origins when he should be in the Dead Universe, I'll go with the theory that there are two brothers, with the Generations figure being the G1 'Dominus Straxus', and the Power Core figure being the Dead Universe 'Minimus Straxus'!

[​IMG]

Tailpipe - in his only comic appearance, he's based on his DOTM incarnation, who turned into a bike. Since I already have another character in my 'Generations G2' universe who turns into a bike, I've decided that Tailpipe is what Sideways was called before the Dead Universe / Empire fell.

Hyper-something - There's an incomplete name on the manifest that begins with 'Hyper'. Since I've already used Sideways as Tailpipe, it's easy enough to imagine Noisemaze was once "Hyperbyte"!

Ark manifest complete!

REGENERATION ONE (2013)

Primum Fugae
    This is where I get lazy: there are four new, named characters under Jhiaxus in ReGeneration 1, who along with Rook, make up a group called the Primum Fugae. One of them, Firecrest, is also mentioned in Ask Vector Prime as part of the connection between the G2 Empire and Planet X. I wasn’t massively keen on the ReGen take on the Empire, but since I now have a bunch of spare PCC Mini-Cons lying around I figure they needn’t go to waste – thus here are the Primum Fugae, or as I dub this flightless alternative: the Primum Pugno, or First Fist of the Empire:
    Firecrest = Caliburst
    Hawk = Groundspike
    Wryneck = Chainclaw
    Nightjar = Throttler

[​IMG]

Tarantulus (Beast Wars)
    Finally, this is a random addition, but I came across the Beast Wars MicroVerse figures only recently, and while they’re simple and goofy, if you run with the idea that the Beast Era bots were about human size, then they absolutely scratch my itch for being (sort of) in scale with the rest of this line up. He gets a little purple and green paint. In various fictions, Tarantulus – along with the Tri-Predacus Council – have been implied to be descended from either the Empire or Unicron, both of who are now tied together in this continuity mash-up!

[​IMG]

Finally, here is the whole army assembled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phew - if you got this far, thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 20
  2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
  3. Housewife2000

He's in there - have a look at the Marvel and whole army group shots. I used Hailstorm as I don't have Mindset, and he looks more Decepticon-y.

4. Heckfire

Heckfire Work In Progress

I've always disliked the newer looks and function for Jhiaxus, particularly the "orange Creamsicle" color scheme, and the FoC Seeker body always seemed too bulky for the Seekers...it never occurred to me that they were two wrongs that, together, made something so right.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

I'm loving the Cybertronian Army.

6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Very impressive!

Awesome work.

7. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Love it, you can tell a lot of love, thought and dedication went into this group of figures. Great job!

• Like Like x 2
  8. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Awesome work done here.:thumb 

9. Housewife2000

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

10. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Very nice work, both with the customs and the imagination in repurposing the figures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    tarantulas looks so sad he doesn't have an alt mode :( 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kryptokron

Kryptokron Yells at Clouds

News Credits:
    I am so stealing this. Awesome stuff!

13. Alpha Minor 128

Alpha Minor 128 Semi-Lurker Extraordinaire

YouTube (Legacy):
    That'sit? That's his army? Why did both sides have trouble fighting that. Shoot most of them were either not under his command or didn't even exist in that universe.

This is obviously a joke