Japanese vs American counterparts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticusPrime, Apr 19, 2020.

1. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the release of Poseidon/Piranacon stateside here, ive been reading up on them on TFwiki and have the find of them having seperate entries of the Japanese portrayal vs American. Old news i know, but who else has seperate entries?
    And second, for fun, who wins a death battle between King Poseidon and Piranacon? Seperated and/or combined.

2. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I guess pretty much all characters were portrayed differently in Masterforce than their Western counterparts. I guess the real question is - how different does the depiction have to be to be a seperate character? I think one could argue that the Pretenders are close enough to be seen as the same characters, just different interpretations. But the Junior Headmasters and Powermasters are portrayed very differently, even if some of the design looks the same.

The most perplexing and jolting difference is Powermaster Optimus Prime vs. Super Ginrai. Having a Transformer that looks exactly like Optimus, but isn't Optimus, is jarring. If Takara didn't want to bring back Convoy, they should have just changed the color of the figure. They changed the colors of Siren, Nightbeat, Joyride, Darkwing, Dreadwind, and Quickswitch. Why in the world didn't they just make Ginrai different colors?

As for King Poseidon vs. Piranacon, I think King Poseidon would win. There are only 6 members of Piranacon. But with King Poseidon, Turtler not only has 4 limbs to combine with and a gun, but he has a legion of extra troops to command.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot about Ginrai/Optimus Prime. That would be another with altogether seperate pages.

4. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    Pretty much every character in Headmasters and Supergod Masterforce are different than their American counterparts. By the time you get to Victory, the characters (other than some Micromasters) were Japanese-only, with no American counterparts.

5. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 The Weeb Transformers Fan.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Characters such as the Pretenders and Headmasters are different, but not enough to be considered separate characters, while characters such as the Godmasters and the Headmaster Juniors are different to the point they branch off into their own character. Later characters, such as the Brainmasters and Brestforce don't even have American or European counterparts, except for the Brainmasters and the Motorvators, but the Motorvators are kinda shit, and 2 of them reuse names. I mean, the combiner doesn't even have a name, and they take out all the parts that make it look cool. Same with Liokaiser.

6. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

I've been watching Headmasters and I have to say, I'm not even able to pick up on any of the new characters as having much of a personality. I've been purposely paying attention to the main Headmasters, trying to see any of their bios poking through, and I can kind of see Hardhead's characterization poking through, but Chromedome is completely different. I just looked up his bio now, and it sounds more like the anime version of Highbrow. And Highbrow's wiki article makes him sound like the kind of kid that sits in the back of class with a fedora quoting Richard Dawkins or something. And as for Brainstorm, I am completely unable to get anything out of his appearance in the show. I am not able to find anything of note in his character bio on the wiki either. I came in with the assumption that Brainstorm was the "smart one," because of his name, his wiki bio, and his brief description as a scientist guy in IDW2 before he got killed off, but he seems to have that role taken by Highbrow in the show. Or at least maybe they're both the "smart guys" in the show? But Brainstorm hasn't really done anything with that supposed big brain of his except just stand there. One thing that I can remember is him saying something to Chromedome about how he needs to use his brain in battle instead of just jumping in, and implies that Chromedome is stupid. So is Brainstorm supposed to be the smart one who is also a dick? Because that sounds more like wiki bio of Highbrow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The Beast Wars cartoon did a massive remake of the Maximals and Predacons, with the American counterparts being reasonably fleshed-out individual characters and the Japanese counterparts being gag-living kiddie caricatures.

Oh, and Japanese Airazor was notably written to be a male and in an implied homosexual relationship with Tigatron.

8. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Oh, boy. Get used to that. I finished watching Headmasters a few weeks ago, and none of the main cast will ever get a terribly clear personality. :( 

9. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Man, that was the most confusing mindfuck to my young brain back when I first discovered the Japanese shows shortly after I first started using the internet. I still clearly remember seeing a bunch of pictures from Masterforce on this old website, with all these pictures of "Optimus Prime" and his cool new combined modes, but then all I see in the text descriptions is Ginrai this and God Ginrai that and transtectors and special bracelets and it was like being in a fever dream that made no sense whatsoever.

I guess the reason they left him in the Prime colors is because they wanted that sweet sweet recognizability and marketability while still going in the new human-focused story direction they were aiming for.

10. Cyberbot8460

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Except for Sixshot. I like how Headmasters depicted Sixshot.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Longitudinalwave

You're right. He's easily the best character in the show.

12. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well in the star tv dub he is optimus prime! Also grand max is changed to fort max from headmasters coming back!

As for him looking like prime the ova "book of masterforce" said his body was a spare for optimus for if he comes back to life again. (love how he did it so many times they just had a spare body for him in storage!) The body was stole by the decapticons leading to ginrai getting it!

Funny thing is if masterforce had been dubbed in america back in the 80s i bet they would have changed it to it being prime who split into two forms or the human will be dubbed as a pretender.

Neat what if to think about.

13. Cyberbot8460

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Funny how the best and most memorable character in a show called "The Headmasters' isn't a headmaster.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Longitudinalwave

:banghead: :lol 

15. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    Er, what? The American Headmasters and Targetmasters were alien Nebulans who binary bonded with Transformers, which they piloted. The Japanese Headmasters were small robots that formed the heads of lifeless Transtector bodies, and the Targetmasters' guns were robots, not green-skinned aliens. You can't get more separate than that.

Here's the thing with that: Headmasters was produced with the super-sentai or super-robot anime style, which the American Transformers cartoon definitely wasn't. Think Power Rangers or Voltron. There's not a lot of personality when every episode is just those four or five team members coming together with their superpowers to foil the evil plan du jour.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JawClaw

JawClaw You gotta be squiddin' me!

I feel Chromedome and Fortress were both pretty well defined, but the other three main headmasters didn't quite get fleshed out. Hardhead came close, but both Brainstorm and Highbrow were rather bland. Brainstorm seemed like he was supposed to be the sassy one but doesn't get enough time to shine, and poor Highbrow doesn't quite manage to grow a personality.

I think you need to watch some more Super Sentai or super robot shows. (Especially the latter.) Headmasters has some issues, but they're not innate to any sort of Japanese genre conventions. I also don't see how that's too different from the G1 cartoon.

17. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    I stand by what I wrote.

18. Longitudinalwave

Yeah....I didn't much care for Headmasters, but I don't think it was because it was following Japanese genre tropes. Besides Headmasters, I've also watched all of Victory and part of Super-God Masterforce. I loved Victory, and I've enjoyed Super-God Masterforce so far, and they were also Japanese-exclusive shows, so I don't think differing cultural expectations can be why I didn't like Headmasters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

One thing I really never understood is why Headmasters focused so damn much on Daniel and Wheelie. Like, Wheelie wasn't even that prominent in season 3, and every other Transformer from previous seasons has a reduced role in Headmasters (as one would expect, seeing as how the goal is to sell new toys). Yet for some reason they decided that Wheelie of all characters should be the exception.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Longitudinalwave

This is a mystery of the ages. Somehow, Wheelie managed to be MORE annoying in Headmasters than he was in the American G1 cartoon, too---quite a feat, seeing as he doesn't appear to speak in rhyme in Headmasters, and that was originally one of his most annoying attributes. (Although, of course, I don't speak Japanese, so maybe what he says DOES rhyme in Japanese and the English translation just didn't rhyme.) Daniel was also more annoying. I wasn't a huge fan of him in the G1 cartoon or anything, but he is SO MUCH worse in Headmasters. Grr. :banghead: