Japanese Takara Tomy New Optimus@Magazine

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by xterry, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, that's a sexy bitch. I hope the truck parts on the shield match the truck better in Stealth Force mode on the final release. Damn, I want this.

2. fathi_haziq

fathi_haziq Petrolhead

News Credits:
    I just noticed that Prime's "We will kill them all!" shotgun are formed by combining the two big roof cannons from vehicle mode.

Also, blue painted side windows / chest pieces! INSTANT BUY!

3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Hope that weapon comes single.

4. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After thinking styler would carry on buster prime's superior paint scheme the final images r a disappointment. now we are back to the rubber pieces above the windows, no pin stripping flames and worst of all red toes all over again a la ROTF all over again. The only gimmick is the stealth force which didn't show up in the movie anyway, at least for optimus. I'll be more than happy to stick with my buster and jetwing mold, as they represent movie 2 and 3 prime perfectly as they are. On another note, even if Stryker has the screen accurate gun from dotm, doesnt anybody think it looks small and puny compared to buster's gas tank gun?

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    That looks amazing. If it somehow becomes available in my price range, I'm jumping at the chance to get it.

6. unlikelyhero

unlikelyhero FOX HOUND RETIREE

Glad didn't buy that jetwing prime

This looks in overall aesthetic much better than that Jetwing prime. the incorporation of weapons in stealth mode is much better, than the peg on guns of that jetwing version. This guy will be a buy

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What the hell. Who needs money. Pre-ordered from BBTS. Might pay a few dollars more in the end, but it gives me a chance to "repent" and save my wallet. :p 

Even though it's a retool of a mold I already have, the combination of 5 mm ports, the color scheme, accurate gun (for once!) shield, and that CRAZY Wrecker-Prime mode did it for me. Can't wait to weapon him up like mad with the Fireburst axe, the gun that's going to come with the new Walmart Deluxe Prime, etc. I love Leader OP from RotF, and will probably keep him, but I just hate that he can't be a one 'bot armory like the charmingly psychopathic movie character. :D 

Goes without saying that if Hasbro announces this I'll drop the preorder. If it isn't too late...BBTS lists it for October, but that seems dubious to me considering we've just now seen it.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    So does the Voyager. And the Cyberverse. And a Happy Meal toy.

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    En, no justification necessary. This will be my 7th copy of this mold, the only one I am missing is the 2-pack Buster with the face mask. This is undoubtedly one of the best figures ever created, if not the best (at least until Hercules is done), so there is no need to justify a purchase. This guy looks bad ass and is a welcome addition to any collection.

10. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

For people posting the "you Americans have no idea how much toys cost in Japan": How much was Buster Prime in Japan originally? I missed my chance to get him, but I do remember he was under $100 at TFSource and BBTS even with their markup on him. Even so, does that really warrant another $20 adder for the weapons even though nothing about the figure itself (minus the new weapons) screams "premium collector's figure"?

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't aware there was anyone other than myself talking about how expensive toys in Japan are. Assuming that I was the only one, I certainly didn't single Americans (I'm American myself).

RA-24 Buster Optimus Prime apparently had an MSRP of 8,190 yen ($107.34 at today's rate of exchange), which probably would have had a retail price of just under $100.00 during ROTF, as the dollar was just a wee bit stronger then.

Striker Optimus Prime has a slightly increased MSRP at 9,240 yen ($121.12 at today's rate of exchange), but like anything in this world, that price will vary depending on where you shop—the gray market will always get its cut due to demand and location exclusivity of course.

I imagine the higher price point many are seeing is largely due to the dollar’s weak value more than the gray market markup itself. $1.00US = 76 yen! You’re losing $0.24 per dollar spent, that’s a huge lose in value right there. After you factor in the price of goods, shipping and X’s fee, surely the price is going to look less than desirable to some (many?), but that’s how it is these days:( 

A quick look in a toy store in Japan will show you that toys aren’t specifically targeting the dwindling child demographic, but the larger man-child one as many of them are nostalgic for toys from yesteryears, and let’s not forget that they have the funds to snap things up. Japan’s social stigma against “cheap” goods has fueled higher price points and premium pricing on highly desirable and collectors goods.

Kotobukiya and the like don’t make products for little tikes, but the man-child in all of us with money to spend, and according to a segment I watched on NHK, the high price points are in place to notify society that the product is not a toy, but a collectable—something for adults, which actually helps those labeled Otaku’s as society already finds them creepy for liking “children’s things,” which is just weird when you consider many of these folks quick to point fingers have all sorts of kiddy looking Disney, Studio Ghibili goods hanging from key chains/cell phone straps and what not[​IMG]

12. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hurray for another overpriced big ass gun prime from japan!

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You realize that the dollar was strong against the yen when buster prime was out, right? Just not too long ago, as in, even 2 years ago, the exchange rate was around 96. That's 1 dollar for 96 yen. Right now its 76 and going down. Take a look at 2007, when its 123 yen to a dollar.

US Dollar: CURRENCY:USD quotes & news - Google Finance

Back then,

1. Dollar strong vs. Yen
    2. Shipping was cheaper (a lot has changed with regards to shipping in Japan)

Now in 2011:

1. Dollar weak vs. Yen
    2. Standard price inflation
    3. Shipping more expensive

I don't think the price is unreasonable, and the rise is logical. What's wrong?

In case you don't see how dollar vs. yen is:

2007 exchange rate for buster prime (its not even out then) of 8190 would be 67$.
    2009 exchange rate for buster prime of 8190 yen would be 85$.
    2011 exchange rate for buster prime of 8190 yen would be 107$.

The "20$ increase" can be seen just with Yen vs. Dollar, not even taking into account inflation and shipping.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the dollar being down screws us importers. It's pretty clear that this is a "premium" piece like Buster though. So let's compare.

Buster: New head, super-premium paintjob, chrome, new gun.

Striker: Body retooling, average (but different) paint, two new guns and a shield, accessories enable a "third mode."

So I can kiiinda see them as comparable products.

I think the reason I bit on Striker, but not Buster, is that Buster is 100% a display piece. The gun increases playability, but overall, if you don't like scratched chrome you can consider him less playable, and posable, than the basic Leader Prime.

Striker is all about playability. Two different vehicle mode variants, one of which kills you. Multiple configurations for the included weapons. MechTech ports and proper hands. I've got 20 5mm weapons that I want to try out on this guy, he can center a "MechTech" display almost as well as Ultimate Prime. (Which, yes, is cheaper.) No chrome to scratch.

So it's pricier due to at least two important factors that we can't control.

Also, this value difference is a lot less egregious than MP-10 being a good tick more expensive than MP-04, just at a glance. :p 

15. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I thought I saw a couple other posts about the prices of collectibles in Japan but those must have been you responding to other posts :eek: 

I suppose I should correct my statement about "you Americans..." and say "I'm not sure if you guys are aware of what these things cost here." The strength of the dollar does actually explain a lot, as I didn't realize how much stronger we were back when Buster Prime was originally released. Given the emphasis the Japanese culture gives on luxury items/indulgences, a jump from $107 (in today's prices) to $121 does seem very fair. I guess I'm just regretting not picking him up when I had the chance and it's my fault for being disappointed now :eek:  :p 

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

Kinda sucks, right? I order ALOT of things from Japan. I mean, it rivals the amount of 3rd party stuff I order, and that's a lot. The yen to dollar has been very sensitive for me, because it literally could have saved me hundreds, if we were just 2 years ago.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have a gut feeling that Hasbro would bring this leader here to Amaerican stores. It's just right up their alley in terms of playability and due to its stealth force add-on weapons parts which give it a stealth force mode, would make the "why-do-we-even-need-this?" leader bumblebee with the stealth force weapons pack a reason for existing.

Plus, kids will want a leader prime to fight their leader sentinel who just killed their leader ironhide.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    And that's when the kid will demand their parents to buy them ultimate optimus.

Not that a kid would have sentinel before optimus, most of the time.

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    And the state of the economy the way it is, a lot parent will buy the kid a deluxe or voyager Prime.

20. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually figured long ago on that being a possibility in a movie sequel line. However, this piece is so awesome that I no longer wish to take chances. I have a feeling that if Hasbro is going to announce something like this, I'll have time to cancel my pre-order.

And to me, the third mode actually looks more "Wrecker" than Stealth Force. I think they are supposed to be the same general idea, but they look distinctly different because the Wreckers were real props in the film. Regardless, this Prime will spend a lot of time in his third mode with Topspin, Twin Twist, Leadfoot, and Nitro Bumblebee.

Autobots: Now, we don't even bother to transform before we kill you.