Japanese G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Atomatron, Oct 22, 2012.

1. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Too bad mine is sold out already

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I've been slowly going back through Headmasters and so far, I'm finding it largely unbearable. This is the subtitled version. I had watched the dubbed version maybe 5-6 years ago (or more) and found it enjoyable back then, but now some eps are worse than G1 episodes.

3. Robosquad

Robosquad Well-Known Member

"Largely unbearable" is pretty apt for Headmasters. Far and away the worst of the three.

Masterforce is pretty great, though, if you can get over its glaring Japanese and '80s elements. I still don't quite know how to feel about Victory.

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The one thing I like about Headmasters is that it manages to make Decepticons a real threat again. Sure, the Autobots are a bit two-dimensional, but they don't come off as snooty assholes like they do in Victory, and the fact that Zarak and his Headmasters manage to come across as truly despicable - it was really hard for me not to feel sorry for Chromedome considering all the crap they make him go through!

Headmasters may not be good, but it's still a lot less boring and repetitive than Victory...

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, I have the Star TV dubs, they are funny. From an early Masterforce episode,

G*d D*mn it! It's the Autobots! -Skullgrin.

However I do prefer the Shout! subtitles.

6. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

I Haven't watched them yet,but i should give them a shot because batshit insane mechas are awesome.

7. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Super-God Masterforce on UK DVD a long time ago for £50. Recently I've heard the UK version of Transformers Victory has Transformers Zone as a bonus episode, but those came out a long time ago, they're most likely out of print.

I'm nearly done with The Headmasters and its alright. There are some great moments in it but whenever that brat Daniel opens his mouth I mostly forget about what happened. I would love to watch the omni dub completely purely for comedic reasons.

8. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    like i started the thread all three sets shipped only 65 basically 20 each plus tax

amazon

9. Atomatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just did a marathon headmasters viewing!

i think it was great and fit in just fine with the OG 3

tailed off at end with TMs and sixshot becoming a p****

just watched first ep of masterforce
    i dont think ill be able to stomach this one...hate hate hate pretenders...
    on the plus...seacons! never knew thet were army builders!
    good thing bbts sets so cheap ;) 

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The tone of masterforce shifts pretty dramatically once ginrai is introduced, and the pretenders become much more of background characters. Think the predacons in RiD. If you can't get behind it, so be it, however. Masterforce is a pretty unique take on the Transformers concept, and while I think that's one of it's biggest strengths, it's also something that can alienate established fans.

11. Atomatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good to know about a shift,
    right now i feel like im watching some centurions vs mummra hybrid show and not TF...

no marathon watching this one, goal is to maybe watch by end of year (optimistically)

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yes, how dare they have personality!

13. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I'm not going to lie, I thought the Masterforce pretenders were one of the most inventive and refreshing approaches to the "robots in disguise" concept we've ever seen. Personalities are a little bit shallow given the subject matter, but definitely characters I was down with.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    ...at least that's how they look at first, until the Autobot Godmasters show up and Ginrai gets a promotion. Suddenly, they won't look so shallow anymore - except that they will, since they get shoved to the background so you don't get to see their personality quirks anymore.

15. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    One of the best parts of Masterforce was all the hints and insinuations about character details that get dropped on a pretty regular basis. One of the worst parts of Masterforce is that they don't get developed, in the vast majority of cases.

16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Masterforce has a lot of things that are subtly hinted at but never developed, except in the manga and even then a lot of stuff remains a total mystery. Even the "Big Book of Masterforce" leaves a lot of stuff unexplained. It almost seems like an ongoing theme with the particular part of the franchise to build up all these mysteries and never bother resolving them. Actually I find it quite amusing when Shuta asks Grand who exactly Devil Z was anyway, and Grand proceeds to totally derail the subject so we never get a proper answer, just because how well it goes with that theme!

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I have no clue why almost every Transformers show brings up concepts and never fleshes them out?

18. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    i think with master force they were attempting to get back to the diaclone roots on piloted robots.
    so the pretenders were likely sent to the wayside becuase they were from cybertron. the head and power masters were a good way to set up the human pilot thing. however, that ... no.
    i did like master force though. ginrai was pretty cool all in all.

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    The story I hear is that in Japan, "living" robots are considered kiddy stuff while piloted robots...well, aren't. To be honest, it does kind of go with the real robot boom of the 80's when super robots in general were reduced to the sidelines while shows like Votoms, Gundam, Macross and all that stuff dominated the giant robot genre in that decade.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Living Robots kiddy stuff.....:mad: 

Phff yes because angst teenagers piloting robots is so much better?

:p