Jamie Lee Curtis condemns parents who show kids Halloween

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rodimus Prime, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Well, what's worse? Showing kids these movies, or starring in these movies with kids in them? Answer that, Jamie.

• Like Like x 7
  3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Or just let me use my own judgement...

• Like Like x 7
  4. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:

That's a good one. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Well she's not wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I literally cannot stand parents bringing unwilling unknowing children into R-Rated movies. Had a toddler in my Joker screening who was extremely upset at everything he was seeing, cried the entire time. What kind of asshole would do that knowing their kid literally has no choice but to go along with them? And the ones who break out the iPad in the middle of the pitch black auditorium to keep their kids quiet are even worse. Stay at home you clods

If a kid wants to watch an R-rated movie, that's totally different though. No point in sheltering from something that can't hurt them and they'll actively seek out. Now you've just taught your kid to be dishonest

• Like Like x 13
  7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I still like Jamie Lee Curtis, but she can have some weird opinions sometimes. Like I always say, I hate blanket statements. It’s a case by case basis. Obviously, I wouldn’t show these movies to super young kids. It really just depends on the kid and the parents if they think they are old enough to handle it. I knew a ton of kids when I was in first grade who were already watching Freddy Vs Jason. I was personally too freaked out by horror movies to watch anything like that. Besides I was obsessed with Star Wars, Digimon, and The Fast and the Furious at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

meh, that’s her opinion.

My dad took me to see RoboCop when I was 8 years old, and I think I would have enjoyed just as much if I had been 5.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think it's up to how the kid can handle it. If the kid gets scared watching harry potter then you might want to wait till they are older. If the kid watches walking dead and ncis (it can get gory with the deaths) then they can be fine.

It's up to the parent to know if it's ok for the kid.

We watched beverly hills cop, police academy, commando, creepshow, and others as kids and was fine. We were told "it's just a movie" and not to repeat curse words we hear in films. (kids movies goonies and bad news bears cursed more then some r movies!) As for nude scenes 80s was less upset about it. Kids films like clash of the titans, baby secret of the lost legend and sheena has nude scenes and even Disney film dragonslayer had a nude scene.

Every kid in the 80s saw beverly hills cop. Police academy was so big with kids it turned into a kids series by movie 5! Rambo, t2, commando, and others had kids toys, comics and games aimed at kids. Rambo had a cartoon, freddy, Jason and Rambo had kid games on the nes and there were alien and predater toys for kids as well as Robocop! House party has a kids cartoon and porkeys had a Atari game!

As for scary movies freddy was so big with kids they had kids gum, comics, toys, a 800 hotline for stories told by freddy, a music album of freddy singing. Freddy was big with kids like the five nights of freddys and that mickey rip-off scary game bendy is now with kids.

My nephews have watched some r rated films but it's up to what they can handle. No godfather or leatherface but they have watched action films like commando and they have watched some scary movies like resident evil.

My little nephew gets scared watching jaws so no scary movies for him yet.

Heck some kid have really scary stuff in the games they play!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Mudslide

Mudslide Smock?

At least they're not being shown True Lies.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not surprising, it's clickbait nonsense. I listened to the part that's being seriously paraphrased - there's a much bigger conversation going on - and she says it in an almost self aware hyperbolic way than any sort of declaration. As usual, words on a screen looking far more brutal than what they are when you can hear the delivery with proper tone & inflection.

Not sure how it's an issue anyway. As we're well aware by now thanks to social media, every parent thinks they're the only ones that know how to do it "right" while everyone else ooooobviously does it "wrong". She'd be in just as much shit from Twitter parents and debating forum nerds if she said kids SHOULD be allowed to see Halloween. No win.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    I definitely think it depends on the kid to be honest. Being a kid in the 80's my parents took me to see RoboCop, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Terminator 2, etc. and I enjoyed these films. I knew it was all fake and being acted out by performers so the "extreme violence" never bothered me. I can see how some kids wouldn't be able to handle it, but it really boils down to parents needing to understand what their kid can and can't handle. And for those that take their kid and the child can't handle it they need to be prepared to leave the theater because other people paid good money to see these things and your kid being upset is going to ruin the experience for everyone else. Personally I think what she said is being taken out of context anyways but that level of nuance seems to be lost on a lot of people anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well, oblivious parenting scoring a viewing of Robocop at home (as happened to me at age 9, thanks Granddad :)  ) is a different beast to knowingly and frankly stupidly taking an underage child to a movie that’s unsuitable for them. Mind, in Australia the R rating is restricted sale to people 18 and older, regardless of parental presence. So in theory a parent could be prosecuted for taking a 15 year old to see Deadpool. In theory. In practice I’m confident that the police and the DPP have better things to do with their time than to chase petty bullshit like this. Which of course relies on it being reported at all.

• Like Like x 3
  14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    They don't see the end result.
    Child actors know what they're getting into before each and every scene, with mom and dad watching.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  15. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    I don't think she's entirely wrong. Horror movies scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. My younger sister? Not so much.

I think parents just have to gauge what is and isn't appropriate for their kids.

Man... I miss Madtv.

SNL sucks dead ass in comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I saw horror movies when I was 8 because I wanted to not because I was forced to. I've offered to watch horror movies with my oldest but she never wanted to. It all depends on the person, the age, and the content.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

When Deadpool was in theaters, everyone knows that part where Wade and his girlfriend were having sex, I heard a high pitched voice a couple of rows behind me saying "mommy, what are they doing?"

I wonder why her parents didn't notice the gigantic letter R on the movie poster.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    generally I say leave it up to the parents to decide.

However if you kid can't, say, sit up under their own power yet, they don't belong in a fucking movie theater. I don't care what the rating is there; that's just wrong...

• Like Like x 3
  19. GoLion

GoLion 誰がおならをした

News Credits:
    This is why whenever I live near an Alamo Drafthouse, I tend to go there. No Kids under 6 allowed.

20. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This has fascinated me ever since I've had internet access. why are parents allowed to take their children into movies that are rated to not be suitable for them?
    Over here children are prevented from seeing movies in cinemas they're too young for.