James Roberts confirms stepping away after Lost Light.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by GWolfv2, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    "We're tired of having a successful and popular comic book series. It's time to fire the writers, end the story completely and bring in complete nobodies who don't know or care about Transformers to rehash the stereotypical Autobot vs. Decepticon story thats been told time and time again - but nothing too dark or too deep or too serious; we don't want to upset the four year old kids - that's where the real money lies, not these 30+ year old fans."

• Like Like x 17
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Not sure how I feel about it. At his best Roberts had way of writing very lively and flowing dialogues. But then, he might or might not have any story prepared to tell this time.

At his worst he was just bad with everyone being snarky.

But this can be said about other IDW writers as well. Barber's dialogue devolving to the Hollywood standard with bots dropping one-liners, etc.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Wishing him well, and all the best in future endeavors.
    Looking forward to the fresh start, but also thankful for the stories we did get.

And with all that was developed character-wise, it'll be nice to see it all integrated from the start and how it develops out. As they say, one door closes, another opens. Or in this case I guess, a new book, and a fresh page.

With all his great work on the book, I'm sure he'll be back at some point if he has more stories he wants to tell in the lore.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Oh please.

Care to elaborate?

It’s such a shame that every time you tune into the radio or the TV/media; it’s always just *somebody* wanting to be respected, loved and not shitted on because of someone’s close-mindedness.

Equality is such a shame. Really. :rolleyes2 

Escapism is not only just for straight white males.

Now if I read your reply wrong, I apologize. But I’ll leave this here for the inevitable classy individuals who will actually mean something like that.

• Like Like x 28
  5. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    Roberts will be missed! I hope he gets a gig writing episodes for Doctor Who. I think he would be amazing at that.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    I also love the fact that complaint is something that was literally started in the G1 toon itself with the introduction of Elita's team. So it's always been a constant in TF lore as a topic to explore. It's that some writers were rather narrow-minded about it. People that complain about it now act like it's such a new thing to the lore and "pandering" when it's literally a staple of the complexities of them as a species that should be explored.

• Like Like x 15
  7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As sad as this is, and how spoiled we are due to his unbelievable writing ... Roberts is ready for bigger things in comics. I think it’s clear he is ready for a writing gig with the big 2, DC or Marvel.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Was it really successfull? Hadn't the sales figures gone through the floor?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Roberts should try at the Big Two or maybe Image. The meta and pop-culture references that were at times coming as a bit too intrusive with TFs as well as his interests would work just fine with human characters.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes hurt, rolled them too hard

Finally.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Whatever the reboot is, it won't be as successful as the current IDW continuity.

Marvel ended the original 80s Transformers comic due to "low" sales (which were actually quite good in today's comic book market for a licensed toy based comic series) and then had Furman go on to write Brute Force which only lasted four issues; four issues we should have had to extend the Transformers run. Marvel apparently wanted Brute Force to be picked up by a toy company and turned into a toyline which obviously never happened.

Hasbro no doubt intends the reboot to be a jumping on point for new fans, only it's going to serve as a jumping off point for existing fans.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I hope this doesn't mean that he wont be finishing those UK Classics Marvel volumes... Damn it! We need the rest of those.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Curious to what Hasbro means with "a clean slate." Wouldn't that mean that they would probably be doing comics based on the new War for Cybertron storyline?

• Like Like x 2
  14. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Roberts and all, but if the comics were really as “successful” and “popular” as you say, there wouldn’t have been any reboot forthcoming in the first place.

And if you don’t think that four-ten year old kids are where the money lies, well...maybe you don’t have kids? :) 

• Like Like x 6
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    My nephew would rather play games and watch youtube videos on his ipad than read comic books.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Try him on motion comics then.

17. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I mean objectively there's no denying for the majority of their run the Barb-Berts books were very well received. Frequently in the Comixology top 10 or 20, high (and frequent) reviews by non Tf fan sites, showing up in national papers etc. Things became more niche again after Op and LL started but while we do know there was a big drop in US physical sales, we've got almost no information on digital or international physical sales. We know they're down but not by how much. But it's well documented that for at least most of its run MTMTE was a bit of a critical darling.

And in comics, most money is in teens and movie goers these days. I wonder if the state of the TF movies had a long term detrimental effect on the influx of readers tbh.

• Like Like x 3
  18. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Motion comics kinda suck they don’t do whole series only specific issues that’s end of it no continuation nothing if he’s not going read basic comic that’s not motion he may never will pick up basic comic at all it’s this stupid new generation everything have to be shopping online and on internet , video game playing related

Of course he does not people think new transformers fans will get into reading comics watching cartoons not all of them will do that been I have been saying that for years I know over ten transformers fans that like transformers because of live action movies but they will never ever watch cartoons and read comics,.

I still like megatron as autobot

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    it's a good time to bow out....he's put in more than enough memorable work. a break is deserved.

i can't wait to see some new blood in the comics anyway...hopefully his next run (whatever that may be) he's learned a little and doesn't end up making everyone sound the same.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and with that Tumblr crashed.

• Like Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.