James McAvoy as Gandalf?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jan 5, 2013.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    James McAvoy Wants To Play Gandalf In THE SILMARILLION

Nothing wrong, except two things:
    - it should be Michael Fassbender
    - a SILMARILLION film sounds unadaptable, it being mostly songs and poems (unless they do it like FANTASIA or something)

Otherwise, what do you think?

2. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    hey already adding Silmarillion stuff into The Hobbit, so I don't think there's gonna be a movie.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It'll never happen.

Christopher Tolkien will never let Hollywood come NEAR Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin for that matter.

Plus Silmarillion is one of those books that's just almost impossible to adapt because of it's episodic nature.

4. Chalice

Chalice ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل

News Credits:
    I've long said that the Silmarillion should be filmed as several seasons of an HBO series, not unlike Game of Thrones. There's waaay too much in it, and it's waaay too disjointed for a coherent trilogy(or even pentology) of movies.

As for McAvoy, err...no. Gandalf appears for about a page in the Silmarillion, and not by that name. Also, I *could* be wrong here, but Gandalf is ageless and I do believe that even in the Silmarillion, he would still look like the greybeard we all known and love.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    The wizards arrival to Middle-Earth in general is described in "The Unfinished Tales" where they are described as old men from the start.

In fact wizards in Tolkien's universe aren't even human.

They are a sort of guardian angels/lower gods sent to middle Earth to make sure that nobody fucks shit up as bad as Morgoth did last time when the world was almost destoryed.

I think...I really need to fresh up on my Middle-earth knowlege.

6. Chalice

Chalice ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، فكل

News Credits:
    No, you're pretty spot on.

I'm just trying to research if there's any evidence of him being old or young in appearance during the Silmarillion. I've found several bits of official/unofficial art of a young Gandalf. But no text that supports it.

They do definitely arrive at Middle Earth as old men though.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Gee what other roles of Mckellen can McAvoy play? I think he should go out and find his own roles, not just try to keep playing the young version of Mckellen.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    first thing is Gandalf and the other four Istari appear on a single page so it would make no sense to cast a new actor if they use them at all, if they did it would be easier and simpler to get cast actors for the two blue wizards Alatar and Pallando and just get the actors playing Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast to do cameos.

As a movie the Silmarillion would not work and it would be difficult to do even as a TV Mini series due to the vast swath of time that passes. beside Christopher Tolkien is rather protective of it and its unlikely he would let anyone have film or TV rights for it. I do not blame him as the odds of them getting it right are very low.

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    As much as I love Jackson's adaptation I have to agree. Silmarillion is unfilmable.

The sheer scope of some battles is so god damn huge that they make the battle at the end of ROTK look like a schoolyard brawl between toddlers.

You just can't film that shit. Animated movie maaaaaaaaybe able to pull it of but live-action never.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    No kidding the battle of unnumbered tears is about 7 to ten times the size of the battle of the Pellanor fields.

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I think you have the actors confused young Magento was played by Michael Fassbender; unless of course Ian McKellen played Mr Tumnis in a stage adaptation of Narnia.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You are correct I was confused.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Actually McAvoy was a young Patrick Stewart. Fassbender is a young McKellan.

14. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I'm all for a Silmarillion film or series. It's only "unfilmable" if you want to follow the book's format exactly, which of course nobody would do. People used to say Lord of the Rings would be unfilmable in the years leading up to the films. Anything is possible with the right changes. And Christopher Tolkien/Tolkien Estate can only be a barrier for so long.

It'll happen someday.