Jackie Chan + Jet Li = The Forbidden Kingdom. Coming April 2008!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Looks good, but I thought Li wasn't doing anymore of the epic, period-piece movies that used wire-work.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Thats all there is, its just typical disproportional internet outrage.

The only thing thats outrageous about it is that people are naive enougth to think that actors don't make and shill movies they hate for money.

3. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I have no problems with people making horrible flicks just for money. But a) don't lie about the quality of said flicks and b) don't call me an idiot if I like said flicks.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

:D 

5. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Hope it's good (I'm a big Jackie Chan fan) but the american kid and the director have me a bit worried.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

He didn't call anyone an idiot, he said that he doesn't get or like the films and just wanted the money. Some random internet pundit thinking that he is being made out to be an idiot doesn't mean that Chan actually said or implied it, but feel free to post a link if he did at some point and I missed it.

As for telling people that the films were good to encourage them to go and spend money on them, what do you expect? You don't tell people that your product sucks when you are trying to sell it to them regurdless of what business you are in. Almost all actors must do it at some point, the only difference is that Chan is one of the few that actually admits to it.

7. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Did that ever come out at the cinema? I have a theory that everything Jason Statham appears in goes straight to video...

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels?

Snatch?

(and you're in the UK even)

The Italian Job?

And yes, even Transporter 2 and War..though I certainly never bothered. I caught about 30 minutes of The Transporter once and that was enough of that. Statham is only good when he's not playing heir apparent to Steven Seagal.

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Hmm seems he enjoys working alongside that distinguished actor Vinny Jones too, judging by IMDB (yes, yes, I know...). Also, he's announced as appearing in 2009's 'The Brazilian Job'. Pubic hair jokes ahoy!

In light of this new evidence, I revise my theory to - Jason Statham keeps appearing in apparently mediocre films. :D 

10. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

Bah! Lock Stock and Snatch were awesome. Shame Madonna cut Guy Ritchie's balls off. I'll concede that all of Statham's American movies are mediocre at best.

11. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    woohoo!

12. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Will definitely check it out. I have yet to see War and Fearless which I really want to. I have a 4 disc set of Once Upon A Time In China and I think Jet is perhaps the best martial art actor ever. I am not a big fan of Jackie Chan but I'll see this movie for Jet Li alone.

13. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

You interpret it how you will. I'm a Negative Nancy.

You can say "it's a great film" or you can really lay it on thick. I recall the latter. But I also have a suspect memory.

;) 

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well thats obvious. at least hes got the balls to say it. but yeah that is kinda rude.

15. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell guys, if Chan doesn't understand American humor, then Hollywood understands it even less. He has a right to his opinion even as he's being misquoted. I've always wondered why he would agree to do such crappy movies over here and I think it's cool that he says it like he feels it. It's better than pandering.

And he has to promote the movie to make the money he wants for his projects.

Now take my opinion as you will, but I've actually met him twice and have gotten the opportunity to talk with him a little. One of the questions I asked him was about his dressing up as Chun Li in City Hunter. It went a little like my asking him why he would do such a thing. His response was brutally honest and funny: For the money. Myself and those around us had a good laugh from that and I got him to sign a photo for me. All in all, he was a wonderful person to talk with and treated all of his fans respectfully.

Which is alot more than I can say for some other stars I've met. In fact the only other star I've talked with who I'd say was nicer would have been Liv Taylor.

16. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im gonna chime in on hiros post; to understand where that kinda response comes from you gotta look all back all the way into the HK film scene. these days you got these up and comers coming in slick with their western accents and JCs generation had none'o that.

the old school HK film trade is hella hardcore. they are THIS close to their fanbase, there was no room for hubris and ego, hollywood takes as little as 6 month to make a movie, dudes have been known to do in less than 2 months, the average being 3. stuntmen/professional insurance? pfft. and on top of that dudes also have to take care of business on the low with the gangsters and all. so even when the movie was shit they take hella pride because it was a lot of effort. its not acting, its fricking labour, man.

thats why when they do hollywood, aside from language barrier, stuff is cakewalk.

at the risk of sounding cliche, hes keeping it real. and with the amount of work under his belt, dude is due.

that said, i dont hold up all their HK work. that movie with shu qi with the super fast flipping dolphins was when i noticed shit starting to go pot. at least JCs still funny in western movies.

17. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Ok granted, those two weren't bad - I have to admit I haven't seen them in a while and I wasn't aware Statham was even in Lock Stock. I'll let you have those. :D 

18. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm a big Jackie Chan fan. In fact, a few years back I tried to get all of his films I haven't watch and see it. Old school stuff, newer stuff everything I could. I like Jet Li movies too. Did anyone see Hero? That was cool.

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Chan has just as much right to be critical of the movies he's in as any artist does about a painting they've done, any musician about a song they've done, etc. I think it's a good thing that he's not conceited enough to think all the shit he's been doing in America is the best cinema ever. They're low substance flashy family films for cash, anyone should be able to see that, and him admitting to that is in no way an insult. So he'd like to do something more serious, something with more depth. Big whoop. That's damn near every actor out there who isn't cast in "best picture" types every time around.

Anyway - yeah, I'll see this

20. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

Jackie Chan makes some great movies, but he's now at the age where he doesn't do as much physical stuff as he used to, though.

He also looks much older now, though still handsome and fit as a fiddle.