I've been thinking doing 'a weird one' for a while (Fanfic idea)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Suboptimal Optimus, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

Pretty sure I have never published any Transformers fan fiction but I've had a very weird one sitting on the back of my mind which I am not sure has ever really been done. If it has, disregard this it just mean haven't paid attention enough to fanfics. Has anyone ever done a Shattered Glass Beast Wars 2nd? I know, its a weird-ass choice because most people don't really care much for the silly BW 2nd. Beast Wars Shattered Glass has been discussed and done many times but I don't think anyone has ever done a SG version of 2nd, especially due to its odd setting and characters. It would no doubt require being its own continuity, separate from the main BW, SG BW and SG G1 but that's probably the only way to do it.

I'm throwing this one here for input from people because 1) no clue if anyone would ever read it, especially since its such a silly concept and B) the concept has two divergent directions it can take.
    • Version 1: The animals vs vehicle theme isn't reversed, the factions are meaning it become more like Car Robots/RID 2001. However this is boring in my opinion. The good guys are vehicles and the bad guys are animals but its a bit weird given how the BW 2nd cast work.
    • Version 2: The theming is reversed but the factions are kept the same, meaning the good guy Predacons are animals fighting evil Maximals who are now vehicles. To really drag home the bizarro nature of SG, the characters go the reverse of the mutated Combatrons/Cyborg Beasts. So Megastorm starts off in a body similar to a recolored Transmetal Megatron and later gets upgraded/reborn in a more organic body....that is based off season 1 Megatron or something.
    I much prefer the weirder version 2 which would use reimagined (as most designs would, as a nod to SG, reference a pre-existing toy) Transmetals as the form of the 'Heroic Predacons' who try to blend on Earth using a mechanical mimicry of natural beasts and later are upgraded to have more organic modes because of how backward and bizarre SG universes tend to be. However I am not sure what to make of Galvatron and not-a-lion-Convoy under this idea.

Is there potential in this silly idea? Is it too bizarre?

2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    It's going to take a lot of mental gymnastics to make it work I think, but it could work. As someone who's not that into SG, I think this is still a cool idea. I really like the idea of reversing things so that the Maximals start as vehicles and the Predacons as animals. The only bit that I think requires these mental gymnastics is the upgrade philosophy. The change from mechanical beasts to organic beast has got to have an impact. Like maybe it makes them less powerful, but it makes them more spiritually in tune with their animal instincts. Whatever the case I think it's the only idea here you would need to "sell" to the reader. I actually do like the idea of doing it this way, since it is different and I think it would be an interesting twist to have characters downgrade rather than upgrade as the story progresses. It could actually add to the tension rather than just serving to show all the cool things these characters can do now.

Maybe some people might think this is too much but I love the bizarre, and it's more unique than a lot of modern tf fics out there.

3. Suboptimal Optimus

No the idea was very much taking cues from Beast Machines, albeit with a slightly less grotesque designs. It also tied into the 'reversed' nature of Shattered Glass universe. In the Beast Era there is a certain implication that more biomechanical forms such as Transmetal 1, Transmetal 2 and Super Transmetal* are simply stronger. They either have more modes and/or have weird abilities and it isn't until Beast Machines we see the organic modes have any use. Simply put, its generally accepted that the fully organic beast modes only have the advantage of blending in compared to Transmetals. Since its a weird reversed universe, the fully organic beast modes are what is the upgrade because, as its often said, Shattered Glass is a bizarre 'malformed bizarro universe'. I would also, from a story perspective, not use the Transmetal third mode. Its more that, as a nod to the reuse of toys, most characters would be inspired by pre-existing molds because that's a thing SG does.

Shattered Glass by itself can become a lame duck concept, which is why I had this idea and wanted to actually push the envelope and do such a weird high concept idea.

*Technically, Optimal Optimus is an odd one-off Transmetal. People mistakenly call him a Transmetal 2 sometimes but he is clearly some further mutation of Transmetals, having a mechanical robot mode and a mechanical beast mode with only vestigial organic features (the black fur which exist in the recess of his limbs). He also display slightly more formed alternate modes which go a step beyond deploying thrusters or wheels as regular Transmetals did. He is sort of in a weird category of clearly displaying a form and abilities beyond what Primal's previous or even future forms did.

4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I get where you're coming from. As long as there is a tangible reason as to why the organic beast modes can be considered an upgrade (ie, the stealth aspect) beyond the fact that SG is a bizarro universe. Like you would just need to show how the new forms are more advantageous rather than just saying they are stronger now.

5. Suboptimal Optimus

So, its been a month-ish and this idea for a silly ass story has no left my head.