It's up to Bay now to save Paramount from going bakrupt.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Box Office Bombs Have Paramount Losing Over $500M in Next 2 Years

The Ben Hur, Star Trek Beyond and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has all underperformed in the box office. So I think Paramount is going to rely all their resources on the Transformers franchise to save them...

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    Looks like the demand for Transformers movies from the studio is going to sky rocket honestly.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If paramount is hemorrhaging money on bad decisions, one director isn't going to bring enough revenue to keep things afloat. Even a single franchise won't bring in the money to save Paramount in unless the rest of Paramount's films start doing better.

Paramount won't put "all their resources" on Transformers. They can't. Not only will doing so put the rest of their films at a greater risk of failure, put pouring more money into producing the Transformers films builds THEM into a greater financial risk demanding higher returns to recoup, and pouring more money into promotion has diminishing returns after a certain point.

The Transformers films can, and will remain tentpoles for the studio for years to come. They will almost certainly be viewed as important films so long as their potential to generate revenue continues. Ironically, if the studio believes that the Transformers films will be profitable based on their brand equity, regardless of the content of the film, we may see Paramount putting out more, cheaper, lower quality Transformers films to maximize returns on investment and stabilize the company.

4. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe this is a good thing for the TFs franchise lol. If Paramount can't keep in the green, maybe they might have to look for Disney for help and well we see what Disney is doing with Marvel and Star Wars. Couldn't hurt ;) 

5. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Poor Paramount man....

6. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope not. They made some good, but they also made Ant-Man.

7. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    Ant-man was awesome, I don't know what you're talking about

8. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Lmao!! There is only so much Marvel can do with Ant-Man. And for a C grade Comic hero, I think Marvel Studios did a fantastic job with Ant-Man. Disney had no real direct hand in making Ant-Man, that was Marvel Studios.

9. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also... TF5 is released between Wonder Woman and Spiderman. That is sure risky.

10. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Hasbro needs to start teaming up with Disney.

Paramount was good as a starting platform for the TF live-action franchise. but Disney might be better for the TF live-action in the long-term.

but if this were to happen, in the future we might find a scenario where Disney could well buy Hasbro, do a hostile take over of Hasbro, or probably just be a merger (Disney-Hasbro).

11. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Well, there are so many other movies coming out that there just isn't a great time for any one company to put a movie out now and hope they take in enough money before another companies movie is released that will pull people. If I'm not mistaken, we also have Spider Man Homecoming coming out around that time too no?

12. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    You also left out Despicable Me 3.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I wasn't aware CBS was doing poorly. Because Paramount isn't just a movie company.

Plus they do own rights to Titanic - just relrelease it to theaters to make a quick buck.

14. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jesus, I can just imagine the things Disney could do with Transformers..

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's a little early to be saying bankruptcy. Yea box office isn't good but with the insane cost of films these days you often have investors that put money in, people paying for product placement, and all the other ways that all the movie budget doesn't come out of the studio coffers.

But this has been a problem that has building for Paramount for a long time and instead of hey we need to get our act together, we need to get our domestic mojo back, it has been oh hey don't worry we will always make our money back in China. Paramount has been ignoring their problems for years and now their brands are paying the price. Heaven help them if they ever run into a situation like Sony and Warner Brothers ran into this year when China said no you can't release that movie here.

On the upside of Paramount going belly up that would mean the franchises Paramount can't seem to do anything with now could go to other studios that could find a use for those franchises. Outside of Transformers Hasbro hasn't gotten any home runs from Paramount.

Plus it's just so risky pinning too much hope on just one franchise. Warner Brothers had to cut down the number of films they could do a year after Batman v Superman couldn't get in the billion dollar club. Domestically the box office numbers for Transformers has been going down every year so that's a lot depending on franchise fatigue never hitting over seas like it has at home.

16. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Transformers franchise going to Disney would be horrible. More fanservice, more rehashes. No thanks. I'd prefer the way the Baywreck is going now compared to that.
    Anyways, Michael Bay himself cannot "save" Paramount. One film will not make that much of a difference.

17. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's like saying you prefer Lucasfilm over Disney... Disney can do a much better job with Transformers than Bay ever could..

18. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Agreed!

19. Acadia

Acadia gone

If Disney were to buy Transformers (or Hasbro as a whole), I bet that there would be a huge shock, but then many people realize that anything bad Disney could do to the franchise (like sub-par sequels or exploitative merchandising), had already happened under Hasbro and Paramount.

20. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    i could see where a Transformers owned by Disney could be advantageous.

For one, any Transformers exhibit/rides could get one of the top billings around the various Disney Worlds on Earth, increasing more pop culture exposure to Transformers. Transformers toys would be sold at various Disney Stores.

It's probably a bad move for Disney to exclusively only show Transformers cartoon shows on their flagship network, The Disney Channel. if that happens, i still hope you could still buy episodes from various outlets like iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc.

They would also in all likelihood handle it with more care, the way they are doing now with Star Wars and MCU.

And Disney being the biggest, stable and most profitable movie/TV outfits in the world, not to mention a well-oiled and well-run corporation, would give the Transformers franchise an awesome platform the way it did, again, with Star Wars and Marvel.

i mean, how many Disney movies have flopped this year? maybe a few, but not enough to affect its financials. the people who run Disney are financial/profit savvy. they know what would generate them profits and i bet with this news, they're probably salivating at the prospect of partnering with Hasbro, or probably just buying Hasbro outright. like i mentioned, in the long-term, it's a win-win situation for both Hasbro and Disney.

So, it would depend on how Transformers 5 performs in the box-office next year. if it only breaks even or flops, Hasbro (I hope if they had any common sense), would consider teaming with Disney or probably let Disney acquire them. if TF5 still does well, it could go either way, especially if Paramount becomes an inevitable sinking ship. but sooner or later, with these developments at Paramount, Hasbro is going to make that decision that would surprise everyone. And time and again, I've always envisioned Disney-Hasbro merger but since Disney would in all likelihood own most of Hasbro, be prepared to see "Disney's Transformers" :D 

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016