Its TRUE! You can catch Fat!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Jul 31, 2009.

1. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

How can you say that they don't have a theory? So they just went over research for the fun of it? Yeah sure, they had a theory then they went through the research to see if their theory would be proven to be correct. You're not going to sit there and tell me that they went through research that is specific to learning the affect overweight kids have on others without the theory that they're a bad influence making skinny kids gain weight. Also I don't have a problem with the article besides it being a bunch of bull.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

And remember: Spiderus is a doctor.
    So what's their theory? You insist that they have one, tell me what it is.
    Congratulations. You've just contradicted yourself in one sentence. You can't explain why anything anyone has said is wrong, and it doesn't bother you anyway, but it's bullshit. Yes, "bullshit" is the term people normally break out for things they don't really care about.

3. UnicronHound

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Their theory is that fat people who hang around with skinny people tend to make skinny gain weight. All that you're looking at in the article is the wee little paragraph:

How am I contradicting myself? Just because I think that the people who suggested that we get fat from hanging around fat people are wrong?

Is what set me off, I wouldn't have said anything else in this thread had you not thought I was misinformed on how science works

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i think my brain is leaking trying to reed thiers bleeee.....

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    *raises a chubby hand*

*puts it down again because it's too heavy*

All I know about this topic is that hanging around with attractive women causes me to feel kinda horny. That's the same thing as the topic being discussed, yes?

6. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I don't know about you guys. But I think this story is crap.
    My brother is my best friend, he grew up thin.
    My non-relative best friends, both football players, both thin.
    I grew in weight sometime around middle school, into a shape more like my dad.
    I was in contact with them through out till college.
    This story contradicts my upbringing

A theory is a theory unless it can be proven as a law. Theory of Relativity vs. Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum. Laws cannot be disproven. And since the scientist may of use statistics, the fake math, I doubt this hypothesis is sound for every human.

Scienist also claims that mass-transit as no better than the freeyway. Obviously these scientists never drove on the San Diego (405) Freeway.

7. Optimus Sledge

And where do they say "Our theory is that fat people make skinny people gain weight"? They don't. In fact, the article states: "The study authors from the University of Hawaii say they cannot tell from their work whether overweight teens influence their friends to become overweight or whether obese adolescents simply choose to flock together." Maybe you should read the whole thing before flying off the handle?
    You are contradicting yourself by stating this doesn't bother you, when you're clearly very angry about it.
    You blatatly ARE misinformed on how science works. The study in question is of nearly 5,000 teenagers. Your claim that the research is wrong is based on your own experience. If you understood science, you would understand how flawed that statement is. You are statistically insignificant.

So, what is it that riles you about this research?

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting half-assed gue- I mean... theory! Could also mean that they're horny around you.

9. UnicronHound

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand science perfectly well. I read this article a dozen times, I from my point of view they're suggesting a theory they obviously have, though yes, like I said before you're 100% right they never mention the word theory now go get yourself a cookie. All throughout the article they suggest that " When they looked at weight changes over time, they found having a fat friend could lead to weight gain for a child.". You're twisting what I say to look as if I'm angry, I am NOT in the least bit angry with this article ALL I said is that I thought it was BS though yes we do pick up bad habits they implied we get it from fat friends. The only thing that has me riled up is you because I was perfectly fine having my own opinion then you come in insult my intelligence by saying I mustn't know science then go on a tirade about how I'm wrong and angry.

10. Optimus Sledge

I'm not twisting anything. Your anger comes through in every post. You, for some reason, can't stand that research suggests you're not normal. Lighten up and deal with it.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This thread is fat

12. Optimus Sledge

This thread isn't fat, it's just big boned.

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, it's boned all right.

14. UnicronHound

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I'm not normal? What exactly makes you the norm? or anybody else? I've not posted anything whilst I was upset/angry, as a matter of fact I've been told by many a people that I'm a very laid back kind of guy. It takes more than someone bickering with me about my opinion to finally set me off, I'm sorry if it sounded like I'm angry but hey, sometimes things just don't get typed right.

15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

That's bull. I'm fat and everyone else around me is skinny!

16. Optimus Sledge

Dude, what part of "you are statistically insignificant" are you having trouble with?

17. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

According to statistics, the only insignificant data are called outliers. Outliers depends on someone opinion that the data is insignificant. Hence why statistics is "fake math." Statistics will create a mathematically rule of any integer divided by an integer equals a definite number, because zero is an outlier. Whereas in real math, a very significant number in L'Hopital Rule.

Wait, Wut?

18. UnicronHound

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Dude don't call me dude, dude, now for real, you said in the previous post addressing me that I wasn't normal, how exactly did you come to that solution? Just because I argue with you while most would just bow down?

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

20. UnicronHound

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    /\/\ Now that's a weird song